Pro and cons of using the Denman brush?

Fine 4s

I finally used my brush today cuz I hadn't detanlged my hair in a couple of weeks. I washed my hair in the braids I've been rocking for weeks now, lightly detangled with my large bone comb and then thoroughly detangled from the roots down with the Denman brush. I can see how some women here use the brush to make their curls pop. While I couldn't see how it looked on myhair, I felt the hair clumping. Later that day I tried it on this lil' girls hair and it clumped! That brush is great, sturdy and easy to hold. The round tips on the teeth felt great on my scalp.

I'd like to know other folks experience with the Denman brush. What did you like or not like?

I vaguely remember someone stating that they got too much shedding using the brush...

Neith

It really does bring out texture :yep:

but I don't use it because it rips my hair out :nono: I lose entirely too much hair even when I detangle before with a wide toothed comb. I stick with the comb now.

It happened as a natural and texlaxed, so it's not because my hair is weak... :ohwell:

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
The denman is the best for making curls pop. I recently figured out that it makes my curls an almost completely different texture and gives me much more shrinkage so that's a con for me. W/O the denman my curls are totally different. It's weird because I think the denman was "creating" curls where there wasn't any:perplexed. After all this time using my denman I stopped and I'm lost because I'm dealing with a totally different head of hair. My siggy curls are with my denman.

foxieroxienyc

Yeah I love my Denman BUT I have to move reeeeeeaaally carefully and slowly with it. I get a lot of sheds out, but sometimes a few breakage strands - LONG ones. So I found that for me using it only when my hair is just a little damp is best. Anymore wet than that is just asking for trouble for me.

I love the way it smooths my hair out. I'm relaxed by the way.

Last edited:

ladylibra

pros for me: detangles faster than a comb, is great for curl definition and can be used to smooth hair back into a ponytail or puff.

cons for me: if hair hasn't been detangled in awhile i have to use a comb because the brush will pull too much hair out, enhanced curl definition means more shrinkage.

Fine 4s

I don't like how the brush slips out sometimes. That's my only con otherwise I love it.

I was nervous about that but it didn't happen to me. Maybe the more I use it the more likely this is to happen? What makes that happen?

I also noticed more shrinkage but it didn't bother me since I don't wear my hair out...

After reading your feedback, I think I should only use this brush once a month at most or when I wear my buns.

GoingNatural

MY hair looks like a totally different head of hair with the Denman--i have less frizz, my hair clumps differently, my hair is smooth, and the longer I use it the less hair I lose int he shower.

The brush should be used on wet hair, and from the bottom of your hair and then you work your way up. It should also be used carefully, don't go brushing your hair like you would have pre-lhcf, do it in sections.

This brush really has changed my whole experience with my natural air, and it's only been 3 weeks! I slept on this brush for 2 years and I hope no one else does. :spinning::drunk::yep::lick:

and, ummmm there are cons???? :perplexed

Fine 4s

MY hair looks like a totally different head of hair with the Denman--i have less frizz, my hair clumps differently, my hair is smooth, and the longer I use it the less hair I lose int he shower.

The brush should be used on wet hair, and from the bottom of your hair and then you work your way up. It should also be used carefully, don't go brushing your hair like you would have pre-lhcf, do it in sections.

This brush really has changed my whole experience with my natural air, and it's only been 3 weeks! I slept on this brush for 2 years and I hope no one else does. :spinning::drunk::yep::lick:

I slept on it too cuz I was scuuuuurred.

How do you know that this brush is meant to be used on wet hair? Is it the plastic bristles? From what I understand, hair is more fragile when wet so I can understand someone thinking it's best to use on damp hair (not too wet, not too dry) which sounds like it would totally mess up the hair clumping benefit! (does it?)

Another thought in response to the shedding points made, if the hair is ready to shed, why not let it come out, why hold on to it? Now, if it's breaking that's another story and may be due to something else and not the brush?

I always wash in sections, but I don't brush from the bottom up and this is why. I figure the ends are more fragile and would break much faster than the hair up top. So, that's where I start and work my way down while seperating with my fingers if I have too many tangles accumulating in the middle. Let me know if this is bogus!

GoingNatural

I slept on it too cuz I was scuuuuurred.

How do you know that this brush is meant to be used on wet hair? Is it the plastic bristles? From what I understand, hair is more fragile when wet so I can understand someone thinking it's best to use on damp hair (not too wet, not too dry) which sounds like it would totally mess up the hair clumping benefit! (does it?)

Another thought in response to the shedding points made, if the hair is ready to shed, why not let it come out, why hold on to it? Now, if it's breaking that's another story and may be due to something else and not the brush?

I always wash in sections, but I don't brush from the bottom up and this is why. I figure the ends are more fragile and would break much faster than the hair up top. So, that's where I start and work my way down while seperating with my fingers if I have too many tangles accumulating in the middle. Let me know if this is bogus!

When your hair is wet and coated in conditioner it is more elastic, and less like to snap. I never detangle my hair dry, unless I am just detangling with my fingers.

Maybe I just have strong hair? I start detanlging lightly from the bottom and make my way up. If I start from the top I will just end up with a clump of tangles in the middle of my hair and it will harder to get to the bottom length of my hair. But the more haved used the Denman the less tangles I have gotten. I used to detangle with a wide tooth comb first, but now I just lightly detangle with my fingers then I put the brush to work and like Mariposa has said to me, "it glides through my hair like a hot comb through butter!" :grin:

ladylibra

i mean if it works for you. i've broken combs trying to do that mess :lachen: and besides, starting from the top could mean breaking hair off from the top, instead of losing a few millimeters from the ends you're losing the entire strand of hair.

natural hair is more fragile in its dry state. so brushing is more beneficial on wet hair IMO. :yep:

Last edited:

JustKiya

Cons? What cons? :lachen:

The denman is the ONLY thing I have found that gets all of the shed hair out - I can use the denman once a week, and my hair 'behaves' when I take it down for the rest of the week. It is my last step though, after I've gone through my hair with a wide tooth and a regular tooth comb - trying to take the denman to totally untangled hair first - :perplexed - yeah, that might get RIGHT ugly.

I'm not sure if I'm using it right - it seems to 'flatten' my loose hair more than it makes additional curls pop - except for right at the ends, of course. :ohwell:

Country gal

Denman brush is good for detangling. The wide tooth comb has more hair in the comb versus the denman brush. It is excellent for popping out curls. Shrinkage doesn't bother me as much. I usually have the windows down in the car and it makes my hair much bigger.

Cichelle

This brush gets ALL of the remaining shed hair out after I detangle with a seamless comb. It makes all the difference in my next detangling session. Used gently, it's a great brush. I only use it for shed hair removal, not so much detangling and I only use it on wet hair, in the shower.

Cons: I get MAJOR shrinkage with this brush. I'm not sure why. If I use it and just let my hair air dry right after, my hair shrinks up much more than if I just used my comb. Generally, I rinse and briefly comb right after using the Denman. I use it about once a week.

MrsQueeny

Pros- It makes my hair look super wavy and curly. It is great at getting rid of shed hair especially since my hair is in braids a lot so I don't comb it that often.

I use mine on wet hair after detangling with my bone comb. I usually have an oil or avocado butter on my hair to help it glide through.

Cons- none I can think of. Q

Empress Yahudah

Question:

Are u ladies using the Denman after u DC'd and under running water or
out of the shower on wet hair with leave-in/conditioner?

JustKiya

Question:

Both, usually. After I DC (but before I rinse the DC out), I do most of my detangling, out of the shower. Then, I get in the shower, and do one last swipe with the denman under running water. :yep:

Fine 4s

Question:

Under running water while rinsing out my DC. But I like the idea of using it after an oil rinse :lick:

Neith

hmmm...

I take it back... maybe I'm not losing TOO much hair. It's all long hairs and my hair didn't seem to thin out any or be damaged in any way.

I detangle once a week. I'm just shocked :shocked: by the amount of hair that I do lose when using the denman compared to when I use a comb. It's like twice as much.

I don't like it :nono::crybaby:

GoingNatural

Question:

I do a cowash and detangle with my fingers, then i load more conditioner in my hair (sometimes hemp seed butter too) and then i brush through my hair with the denman while still in the shower. After i brush irub a bit of conditioner on my hands just to smooth it out a bit.

My hair loss has reduced dramatically with this brush.

ladylibra

Question:

out of shower on wet hair with conditioner. still haven't installed the new showerhead yet :look: but would like to try it under running water one day...

JustKiya

hmmm...

I take it back... maybe I'm not losing TOO much hair. It's all long hairs and my hair didn't seem to thin out any or be damaged in any way.

I detangle once a week. I'm just shocked :shocked: by the amount of hair that I do lose when using the denman compared to when I use a comb. It's like twice as much.

I don't like it :nono::crybaby:

I think that's normal though - the Denman is much more efficient at getting all the shed hairs than a comb is - much, much more efficient.

I honestly don't think it's breaking very much of my hair, if any.... but I don't have the patience to check for a bulb on each hair to prove myself wrong, either. :lol:

nappy85

Pros: Great curl definition.
Cons: LOTS of shrinkage. My hair is about shoulder length while curly and if I use the Denman without holding the ends, my hair pops back to about 2"...seriously. If I hold the ends down, then my hair is about 1/2 the normal length while curly.

So...it's great for curl definition and I may use it when my hair is much longer, but until then I just use it to brush my edges because it makes my waves more uniform.

Last edited:

AtlantaJJ

ITA w/this post... Use carefully but it is definately a must for me and natural hair. I say the more often you use it under the right conditions the better off your hair will be in the long run regarding knots and tangling issues, it will keep the shed hairs at bay.

AtlantaJJ

I think that's normal though - the Denman is much more efficient at getting all the shed hairs than a comb is - much, much more efficient.

I honestly don't think it's breaking very much of my hair, if any.... but I don't have the patience to check for a bulb on each hair to prove myself wrong, either. :lol:
I actually did this one day.. I took hair by hair out and examined it and I be danged if the little jokas didn't have a little bulb at the end of each, and they were long when (after I stretched them out) ... That sold me... I don't experience knots or tangles either... that tells me something. You won't have to worry about unexpected dreds using the denman frequently.

ladylibra

I actually did this one day.. I took hair by hair out and examined it and I be danged if the little jokas didn't have a little bulb at the end of each, and they were long when (after I stretched them out) ... That sold me... I don't experience knots or tangles either... that tells me something. You won't have to worry about unexpected dreds using the denman frequently.

:yep: i go thru my shed hairs pretty often, i guess that makes me certifiably obsessed :lachen:

but knotting has been less of a problem for me, cuz those shed hairs just end up getting tangled with non-shed hairs and causing problems. the Denman takes care of that for me :grin:

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
out of shower on wet hair with conditioner. still haven't installed the new showerhead yet :look: but would like to try it under running water one day...
I tried under running water once and I got less shrinkage than I usually get with the denman. If I use this brush anymore I'll use it this way.