Problem: Breakage in one area just above the nape!

HairBella08

I have this one problem area just above my nape in the back center of my head that breaks no matter what. The rest of my hair has become very healthy. It holds moisture well, is conditioned, soft, etc. etc. My only problem continues to be this area above my nape. I am relaxed/texlaxed (4b) now, but at one point was bonelaxed and had to cut my hair over time due to over processing and severe breakage. I was able to grow my hair out with weaves and didn't relax for a long time. This was the only time this section grew normally. Once I started back relaxing (properly and not over processing) my hair was doing fine and now for the last 3 months it has began to break in this same spot again. The hair feels very coarse and wirey, unlike the rest of my hair and is maybe 2 to3 inches long. I don't understand why this particular spot is such a problem. My frustration is that I don't wear my hair down often because I feel the back looks see through even though the top layers are longer. I protective style with an updo most of the time, but I like to wear it down sometimes! I'm a little past SL now (for me the longest ever) and thinking of cutting it to NL to even things up a bit, but not as short as this area. I realize that cutting won't change the texture of that hair, but perhaps a cut will make my hair look fuller when down. BTW, this has always been a problem for me and I thought it was over processing the hair so straight from my bonelaxed days...I guess not. Also, I noticed that this area is fine right after a relaxer, but starts to break again as the new growth comes in. Any ideas on what may be causing the problem or how to solve it. TIA

My regimen is to wash 1x per week with CON, then Aphogee 2min (most times or stronger protein if needed) followed by 45 minute DC with heat. Air dry, rollerset or blow dry depending on my schedule. Moisturize and seal nightly. The rest of hair seems to be doing great with this.

Hey, I know where you're coming from. See this thread http://www.longhaircareforum.com/ha...iew-discussion/323851-thin-brittle-crown.html lots of ladies are going through this problem. I'm not sure what the solution is. I have the same dry wiry hair at the crown which broke off a few weeks after relaxing. Maybe try jehri curl juice and try not to manipulate the area too much. It may be an idea to wig or bun for a little while. Hope others can chime in

Something has to be causing breakage in that area. It could be the clip you use to hold your protective style in place, try to use a different style or a different clip. It could be the knot on your scarf that you wear to bed. Alternate how you tie your scarf so that the knot is in a different location every few days.

It could be that that section grows slower than the rest of your hair. I wouldn't trim, I would leave it alone and see if it's the clip or protective style causing the breakage.

Last edited:
Happens to me. I had the last person who touched me up not relax that section AT ALL. Then I just ran a flat iron over it to style. it helped. Its growing back fast

Something has to be causing breakage in that area. It could be the clip you use to hold your protective style in place, try to use a different style or a different clip. It could be the knot on your scarf that you wear to bed. Alternate how you tie your scarf so that the knot is in a different location every few days.

It could be that that section grows slower than the rest of your hair. I wouldn't trim, I would leave it alone and see if it's the clip or protective style causing the breakage.

I tie my scarf in the front. The right and left sides grow fine and the hair in this section is definitely different from the rest of my head. I've been switching the side I pin up from right to left, but not in the middle.Well, I have been using the Goody pins quite a bit. maybe I'll do a loose bun instead. Thanks for your help.

Happens to me. I had the last person who touched me up not relax that section AT ALL. Then I just ran a flat iron over it to style. it helped. Its growing back fast

I'm definitely going to do this. Since my hair thrived in this area when it was growing back natural, I think this will work or is at least worth a try.

Hey, I know where you're coming from. See this thread http://www.longhaircareforum.com/ha...iew-discussion/323851-thin-brittle-crown.html lots of ladies are going through this problem. I'm not sure what the solution is. I have the same dry wiry hair at the crown which broke off a few weeks after relaxing. Maybe try jehri curl juice and try not to manipulate the area too much. It may be an idea to wig or bun for a little while. Hope others can chime in

Thanks. The thread you suggested was very helpful.

I know that my hair in that area is very sensitive. When I was relaxed I always burned and was more prone to breakage in that area. Even now as a natural I have to make sure I not only moisturize that area but that I am very gentle with it. I find that a butter on top of my moisturizer really helps me but I don't know if that would be too much for your if it is a fine texture.

Back