Product build-up versus dry, flaky scalp

pooh123

Can someone please explain the difference to me? I washed and rollerset my hair today and when I took out the rollers I noticed flakes on certain parts of my scalp. When I scratched my scalp where I had put a side part it was white and flaky to the touch.
I really can't tell the difference so if someone can explain I would be grateful.
Thanks,
pooh123

inthestars

I always thought product build up was when your hair started feeling like straw. Flakes on the scalp is a different problem..

Allandra

I had product build up on my scalp years ago. At first I thought it was dandruff, but it wasn't. I got a good ole clarifying shampoo and found out that way. It was like the stuff on my scalp was caked up big time. Ever since then, I've been doing acv rinses to help keep my scalp in check. I also use a clarifying shampoo when I need to. HTH.

londongirl3

If you do conditioner washes, you are susceptible to build up. I definitely think you should use a clarifying shampoo or interchange between conditioner washing and shampooing.

Some conditioners give more build up than others. I think those with petroleum and mineral oil tend to cause build up.

I do think sometimes build up can look like dandruff,

Robin41

Pooh, I stopped getting flakes when I started weekly hot oil treatments last summer. I'd try both a clarifying shampoo and hot oil treatments and see if that stops the flaking.

pooh123

I just went out and got me some of the distilled water just in case I have hard water. Ater I go do my workout I'm going to try the clarifying shampoo as well as an ACV rinse and see what happens. Robin, I usually hot oil once a week so I'll keep that in my routine.

Thanks for your advice ladies!
pooh123