Product Ingredients to Avoid for Healthy Hair!

sweetmia22

Product Ingredients to Avoid for Healthy Hair!
Remember how your mother used DAX Pressing Oil for a good "hard" press? Or how you swore by that brown gel that kept your "baby hair" properly plastered to your head? Did you ever think about whether or not the ingredients in those products were healthy for your hair? I never did. Oftentimes, when we go natural, we become more acutely aware of product ingredients. Making better choices about ingredients becomes an essential part of our lives. I am a firm believer in the idea that "less is more." I have observed that natural hair thrives with minimal product whether loose or loced. It's just one of the many things that I enjoy about being natural.
Here are some common ingredients to avoid:
Petroleum only coats the hair and scalp, and creates the illusion of moisture and shine. This coating also prevents moisture from getting in and attracts dirt and dust.
Alcohol is the main ingredient in many gels, which dries the hair out severely.
Sodium Lauryl or Laureth Sulfate is a harsh cleanser found in most shampoos. It strips the hair of moisture. To combat this, try diluting your shampoo by filling a spray bottle with half distilled water and half shampoo. Be sure to use a moisturizing conditioner afterward. You can also opt to use the no-poo method.
Mineral Oil should be avoided in both hair and skin products as it coats and acts in the same manner as petroleum.
Silicones or Cones are added to conditioners to add sheen to the hair. Silicones coat the hair over time, leaving it dull and lifeless. It also prevents other products from penetrating the hair shaft, thus keeping moisture out. Be sure to check your conditioner for this ingredient.
Protein can dry the hair out, which may lead to breakage. Be careful with protein treatments, and always follow up with a deep moisturizing conditioner.
Glycerin in the wrong climate can dry out your hair as well. Glycerin works well with humidity but may do more harm than good in drier climates.
Avoid beeswax and butters for locs. There is a misconception that products such as beeswax help the hair to loc; however, hair locs simply because it is not combed and products do not speed up the process. Your hair will loc in due time, and though beeswax may aid in controlling the "fuzzies" more so than other products, just allow and embrace this stage. Your locs will thank you. Opt for lighter products for re-twisting, like aloe vera gel or a spritz of distilled water and your favorite carrier oil (jojoba, sweet almond, etc) to keep your locs free of build up.

http://urbansalonnetwork.com by Nekea Valentine of Naturally You Magazine (

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
I don't agree with a lot in that article.

Issue #1-Yes, cones cause build up. If you clarify once a month, you won't experience any problems

Issue #2-Protein doesn't dry your hair out, there are plenty of people whose hair loves and thrives off of it. If it DOES make your hair hard, the remedy is easy: deep condition with a moisturizing conditioner! :hammer:

Issue #3-All alcohols are not bad. There are fatty, moisturizing alcohols such as cetyl, stearyl, olyl and lanolin.

Articles like the one above annoy me because they only give one side. Reading this, people who don't know any better are gonna try to avoid ALL products with alcohol. Not knowing that they're passing up on a gem because it contains stearyl alcohol or because it has a cone in it

Last edited:

The Princess

I use a few products with mineral oil, a few which are my fav. Im not go stop cause they work well for me and moisturize my hair well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lovelylife

I used to be hard core, but now I've realized as long as you are keeping your hair from drying out and not breaking off, then whatever product it takes to do that is fine. Some people can use these ingredients, come cannot.
Like I use grease but I have stay far away from drying alcohols.

sweetmia22

wow some of you ladies are mean. that's not gonna stop me. from posting things that some people might find interesting. I have almost all those ingredients mention in this article but some I'm staying away from based on research and I only used natural product on my hair no. well anyway what the hell is a bot..

metro_qt

wow some of you ladies are mean. that's not gonna stop me. from posting things that some people might find interesting. I have almost all those ingredients mention in this article but some I'm staying away from based on research and I only used natural product on my hair no. well anyway what the hell is a bot..

It's great that you're posting..
the ladies just wanted to make sure you weren't some lurking troll, only posting here because you were trying to generate traffic to that website.

As long as you're a real member... continue on...:grin:

Ivypearl08

I'm still so confused with which products to avoid and which ones to look for...AWWWHHHH!!....lol...oh well...I'm still learning...

Allandra

If any member seems to be suspicious about a thread / post, please send a message to a moderator versus typing about it in the thread (which I've removed / edited). We're not here to make any members feel bad. TIA.