Product performance on relaxed versus natural hair

Ganjababy

Do you find that some products don't work as well on you hair when you go from relaxed to natural or natural to relaxed?

while some perform better when you go from natural
to relaxed or relaxed to natural?

I bought Paul Mitchell's The Cream when I was relaxed and found it to be quite heavy as a leave in for my fine relaxed hair. I was going to throw it out but decided to use it up and loved it on my natural hair and will be using it as a staple now. I loved Aveda damage remedy as a relaxed head, when I used the whole system my hair was swanging, strong yet soft and shiny. When I use it as a natural it does not have the same impact (of course, I don't expect swang on natural 4a/b hair! but my hair feels the same as if I had used a cheapie like herbal essences etc).

What products have you found changed performance when you went from natural to relaxed or relaxed to natural?

FineChyna

a lot of stuff i used to use when my hair was relaxed or transitioning no longer works in my natural hair. most of the products i use now cannot be found in stores, which is a pain in the neck

optimum care anti breakage shampoo/ cond (hair feels tangled and dry after using)
oils (hair hates it now)
nexxus therapee shampoo (hair feels tangled, dry after use
leave-in conditioners that is found over the counter in stores i can no longer use (garnier fructris, profectiv breakfree, hair grease, organic root stimulator leave in products)
joico's super conditioning shamp and reconstructing cond.(--this saved me when i was transitioning now i can't use it at all. makes a total mess of my hair. i think my feelings were hurt when this no longer worked. )
nexxus humectant (only works as a leave in. when i wash with it it seems to do nothing.)
castor oil
carrot oil

Last edited:

Ganjababy

a lot of stuff i used to use when my hair was relaxed or transitioning no longer works in my natural hair. most of the products i use now cannot be found in stores, which is a pain in the neck

optimum care anti breakage shampoo/ cond (hair feels tangled and dry after using)
oils (hair hates it now)
nexxus therapee shampoo (hair feels tangled, dry after use
leave-in conditioners that is found over the counter in stores i can no longer use (garnier fructris, profectiv breakfree, hair grease, organic root stimulator leave in products)
joico's super conditioning shamp and reconstructing cond.(--this saved me when i was transitioning now i can't use it at all. makes a total mess of my hair. i think my feelings were hurt when this no longer worked. )
nexxus humectant (only works as a leave in. when i wash with it it seems to do nothing.)
castor oil
carrot oil

I tried it on my natural hair recently and it did nothing also

MonPetite

I've been relaxed, natural, texlaxed, and texturized and as you can see in my siggy I've used plenty a product.

It depends on the product, in my experience. I used things as a natural I used bone straight with no issues. Somethings worked BETTER for my natural hair some not so much.

It depends on the product, the extent of its performance based on its quality, and what hair need I'm trying to fulfill with it.

I firmly believe however, that there are no "natural hair" products or "Relaxed hair products". There are "what my hair needs right now regardless of who it is marketed to" products.:lachen:

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
I used a combo of Aveda Be Curly and WGO as staple leave-ins while I was natural, but it seems to make my relaxed hair feel kinda crunchy :sad:

Oils and butters used to just sit on my natural hair, but the relaxed hair is diggin the hell out of 'em.

kblc06

The two things that have remained consistent for me are Cantu shea butter repair leave-in
and Dove products, and maybe Doo Gro hair oil. My hair loved those products when I was relaxed as well as loreal Vive (this one is kinda tricky though, mainly due to the silcones).

Ganjababy

I used a combo of Aveda Be Curly and WGO as staple leave-ins while I was natural, but it seems to make my relaxed hair feel kinda crunchy :sad:

Oils and butters used to just sit on my natural hair, but the relaxed hair is diggin the hell out of 'em.

This is happening to me now

sydwrites

I definately agree, my relaxed hair couldnt take heavy greasy products, but my natural laughs at anything that is not. I guess Im a little different, my natural hair is the one that loves all the butters and oils. I had some optimum care oil moisturizer that my hair hated when relaxed and tried it again lately because it was just sitting in my closet, my hair soaked it up and said thanks, lol