PRODUCT REVIEW: American Crew Citrus Mint Shampoo!!!!!

Jade21

The only reason I bought this product was because it smelled so good. I did NOT, repeat DID NOT need any shampoo. [I am just chiding myself because I've been so sane about new hair products for MONTHS. Maybe that's why I wanted to try something....hehehe]

American Crew Citrus Mint shampoo is a part of the MEN's haircare line, too. It's an "active shampoo." I think all that means is that if you wash your hair frequently, the stuff will not leave it like straw.

On the bottle, it says: "Enjoy the benefits of nature with lime and orange. A balancing blend of natural citrus cleansers work to gently remove dirt without stripping the hair of essential oils while peppermint and spearmint stimulate the scalp. Excellent for all hair types. Wet hair thoroughly."

Here are the ingredients: water, sodium laureth sulfate, lauramidoprpyl betaine, orange oil, lime oil, peppermint oil, spearmint oil, myristamine oxide, rosemary leaf extract, thyme extract, quilaja bark extract, grapefruit extract, orange fruit extract, hydrolyzed wheat protein, wheat amino acids, polyquaternium 7, polypuaternium 10, citric acid, dosium chloride, propylene glycol, tetrasodium EDTA, methylchloroisothiazolione, green 3, yellow 10.

It was on sale at a local Hair Cuttery. I think I paid $5.00 for 8.25oz and the regular price is maybe double that. So, the stuff ain't cheap /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

My hair and scalp were quite filthy when I used this product. I had been rollerblading and there were some actual particles of dirt in my hair. Anyway, I saturated my hair and scalp with water and was pretty generous with the amount I used. I figured if I had a bad experience, I could just slather galore with the conditioner (think St. Ives heaven:)). Anyway, after the first lather, I did a mini second lather. There was plenty of lather both times and I was pleased at how my hair felt as I was washing. It was NOT tangling! When I rinsed completely the second time, my hair was free of tangles, and soft as anything, but not greasy or too 'slippery.'

I definitely felt a little tingle from the peppermint and spearmint on my scalp. Not strong, strong, just a nice tingle. And, the smell of the mints was evident even with the heavenly citrus which was at the forefront.

Overall, I would rate this product 10/10. Why? Mainly because it did just what it promised in terms of not stripping the oils out of my hair. Plus, it smelled heavenly and was actually quite gentle. I think the hydrolyzed wheat protein and those quats added to the softness/detangling effects.

If you are looking for another shampoo, which is exclusively sodium laureth sulfate and is gentle, I'd say give this one a whirl. You will LOVE the smell, too.

Special Note: I have tried the other American Crew shampoo for men which was for normal to dry hair which smells like tea tree. It's like their staple product. I thought it was superb, but this one is better because it is even more moisturizing and refreshing.

~Jade~