• We will be performing necessary maintenance on the forum and related hardware from Satuday 25th of September onward. Users might experience some downtime, which we will ensure that it is limited - if at all noticeable.

Product Review: Amla Oil (and the smell)

tryn2growmyhair

New Member
Ok, y'all. I know that there are people out there who love Amla oil but I bought the Dabur Vatika and Dabur Amla oil and it stinks someting fierce.

Also, is there a dye in the Amla oil? I put Vatika and Amla in my hair and it made made my hair really dark. Also, my stomach feels terrible, because of the strong smell. I am going to have to wash this out a day early because of the smell and I am not happy about this, because I am trying to wash my hair less.

Does anyone know of a better smelling variety or know of a way to make it at home? Maybe I can buy dried amla and boil it? Thanks in advance.

Off to wash the noxious oil out of my hair,
Tryn2growmyhair
 

HWAY

Well-Known Member
How long did you leave it in your hair? I bought the amla oil yesterday, left it in for two hours and shampooed. The smell didn't bother me, but I'm used to Glovers' foul odor.
 

tryn2growmyhair

New Member
I left it in for about six hours -- I wanted to give myself a mego prepoo. A number of Indians have told me that Indian women leave coconut oil in their hair for hours before washing it out and I have done this with coconut oil -- normally I would leave it in overnight and then wash it out -- but this amla stuff smelt so bad that I had to take it out. I was going to shampoo but I just gave myself a good CW with a ton of sweet smelling products - VO5 Strawberries and Cream, Suave Milk & Honey -- and also tried to use up some of my Fait de Cheveux Conditioner while I was at it, LOL! I then gently towel dried and put my sweet smelling Spectrum Naturals organic coconut oil in my hair. I also put in a little bit of tea tree oil to fight the itchies but I wish that I had not done this because my stomach is still a little woozy and I still have a headache from the smell of that awful amla oil and tea tree oil also has a strong smell. Normally I can stand it but after the amla oil it would have been nice to just have some sweet smelling regular coconut oil in my hair.

I will just use up the Vatika oil for pre-treatments and call it a day. Also, my hair is normally brown with auburn streaks -- relaxers lighten my hair -- but it is now jet black. Me no likey. :nono:
 

tryn2growmyhair

New Member
HWAY said:
How long did you leave it in your hair? I bought the amla oil yesterday, left it in for two hours and shampooed. The smell didn't bother me, but I'm used to Glovers' foul odor.
See, one of the reason that I do not use many AA products is because of the smell. I am sorry to admit this but I do not know why the companies that make these products think that its ok to put inferior things like mineral oil and petroelum and STINKY SMELLS. If I was a different person I would take it the wrong way. Thank heavens for companies like Keracare -- their shampoos smell good -- and other companies that make products that are good for AA and smell good.
 

LiLi

Well-Known Member
I can't stomach the smell of Amla oil either. I have almost a full bottle left. The smell took forever to go away plus I didn't notice anything spectacular after using it (maybe I needed to use it more than once to notice anything :ohwell: ).
 

tryn2growmyhair

New Member
It is so gross. I will stick to regular coconut oil and just be patient about my hairgrowth and stop trying things to try to make my grow more quickly. :ohwell:
 

myco

New Member
I don't care for the mineral oil or the smell of "0factory" amla oil either. I always buy the amla powder and mix it with olive oil or coconut oil myself. That way I can create a paste and apply and have a little more control over what is in the product. If you wanted to create an oil blend, I think you can steep the powder in oil over heat and then strain out the powder/paste.
 
UmSumayyah said:
Amla oil is supposed to help keep your hair dark.

This is true.

I use Brahmi-Alma oil which also has sunflower oil,coconut oil, and cator oil mixed in.

The leafy, herbal smell doesn't bother me at all.
 

LABETT

Well-Known Member
I have the Dabur and From Nature With Love Alma oil and the smell does not bother me but the From Nature With Love Alma oil does not smell as bad as the Dabur brand but is more expensive.
 

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
What does Amla Oil actually smell like? I want to use this oil in the future, but don't want it to be strong and smelly like Glovers... is the smell similar to Glovers?
 

tryn2growmyhair

New Member
myco said:
I don't care for the mineral oil or the smell of "0factory" amla oil either. I always buy the amla powder and mix it with olive oil or coconut oil myself. That way I can create a paste and apply and have a little more control over what is in the product. If you wanted to create an oil blend, I think you can steep the powder in oil over heat and then strain out the powder/paste.
Does the amla powder smell? How do you use this paste? Does it color your hair?
 

tryn2growmyhair

New Member
Poohbear said:
What does Amla Oil actually smell like? I want to use this oil in the future, but don't want it to be strong and smelly like Glovers... is the smell similar to Glovers?
It has a fruity vomity smell. I am dead serious. It smells almost like something that is rotting. I don't know Glovers but I know Sulfur 8 and Sulfur 8 smells better. Amla smells worse than any AA product I've ever smelled. It smells worse than someone who has not washed their hair for weeks and to me that is one of the most stomach-turning smells out there.
 
Last edited:

BAILEYSCREAM

New Member
tryn2growmyhair said:
Ok, y'all. I know that there are people out there who love Amla oil but I bought the Dabur Vatika and Dabur Amla oil and it stinks someting fierce.

Also, is there a dye in the Amla oil? I put Vatika and Amla in my hair and it made made my hair really dark. Also, my stomach feels terrible, because of the strong smell. I am going to have to wash this out a day early because of the smell and I am not happy about this, because I am trying to wash my hair less.

Does anyone know of a better smelling variety or know of a way to make it at home? Maybe I can buy dried amla and boil it? Thanks in advance.

Off to wash the noxious oil out of my hair,
Tryn2growmyhair

Yes, the amla oil certainly makes your hair darker. I noticed this the first time I used it. I'm not keen on the smell myself but I would say put it in for 30 minutes, immediately put on your plastic cap and leave it to marinade. :lol: Then, shampoo it out. I stopped using it because of the mineral oil. However, I prefer the vatika oil, no mineral oil and better smell (like coconut)IMO.:)
 

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Is there anyway to mask the smell? Do you ever feel like "I hope no one smells this on me" when you have it in your hair?
 
Last edited:

Angelicus

Well-Known Member
tryn2growmyhair said:
Also, is there a dye in the Amla oil? I put Vatika and Amla in my hair and it made made my hair really dark.

It did? I love jet black hair. After I get off my product challenge in May, I will be sure to buy this product. And maybe the smell may ward off men :lol:
 

myco

New Member
tryn2growmyhair said:
Does the amla powder smell? How do you use this paste? Does it color your hair?

The powder has a kind of fruit/herbal smell to it. It doesn't smell as strongly as the oil -which reminds me of old woman perfume. The store amla oil contains extra fragrances which really don't mix well with amla. The amla powder is a brown color and over time it does deposit a little bit of it's natural color onto your hair. Kind of like the way people used plants and berries for dyes back in the day. My hair has a tendency to get this reddish tint to it, so I like that the amla powder neutralizes that. It just has a healthy darkness to it, IMO.

When I make the paste, I just pour out however much powder I'm going to use into a bowl and then add enough oil to make the paste. Then I take a perm brush and just part my hair in sections and apply it starting at the roots. Just like I was giving myself a touch-up. It's not a perfectly smooth paste, so make sure that you wear a shirt you don't mind oily amla bits dropping on. Sometimes I apply it all the way to the ends using my hands or I'll just add a plain oil to the ends. Then I pin it up, put a plastic cap over it and leave it on for a couple of hours or overnight and shampoo out the next day. There is a lot of rinsing involved to get it out.
 

mrslee

Love yourself first!
anky said:
It did? I love jet black hair. After I get off my product challenge in May, I will be sure to buy this product. And maybe the smell may ward off men :lol:
The smell isnt that bad to me!
 

melodee

New Member
tryn2growmyhair said:
It is so gross. I will stick to regular coconut oil and just be patient about my hairgrowth and stop trying things to try to make my grow more quickly. :ohwell:

I, too, was caught up in all the raves about these indian products, but disliked them very much. Especially Amla--it smelled like urine and chemicals. I used to use it for prepoo treatments overnight, until my husband asked if our son had peed our bed.

The main ingrediant is mineral oil, so I think if you used mineral oil with some actual amla herb you might have similar results.
 

tryn2growmyhair

New Member
mrslee said:
The smell isnt that bad to me!
I am sorry, I am going to have to keep it real here: The smell will scare men away. I have a lot of male friends and I know that they would run the other way if I women with this stuff in her hair tried to step to them. It is a very, very strong smell and people are use to hair products that have a light floral or light clean smell. I needed to lie down after using this ish.
 

tryn2growmyhair

New Member
myco said:
The powder has a kind of fruit/herbal smell to it. It doesn't smell as strongly as the oil -which reminds me of old woman perfume. The store amla oil contains extra fragrances which really don't mix well with amla. The amla powder is a brown color and over time it does deposit a little bit of it's natural color onto your hair. Kind of like the way people used plants and berries for dyes back in the day. My hair has a tendency to get this reddish tint to it, so I like that the amla powder neutralizes that. It just has a healthy darkness to it, IMO.

When I make the paste, I just pour out however much powder I'm going to use into a bowl and then add enough oil to make the paste. Then I take a perm brush and just part my hair in sections and apply it starting at the roots. Just like I was giving myself a touch-up. It's not a perfectly smooth paste, so make sure that you wear a shirt you don't mind oily amla bits dropping on. Sometimes I apply it all the way to the ends using my hands or I'll just add a plain oil to the ends. Then I pin it up, put a plastic cap over it and leave it on for a couple of hours or overnight and shampoo out the next day. There is a lot of rinsing involved to get it out.

Thanks for the tip. This is really, really helpful. Maybe I will try amla or brahmi powder as a paste. Have you noticed an improvement in your hair? I might try brahmi if it doesnt make the hair dark. My hair gets a reddish tint as well and I like it. The relaxer turns my hair medium brown with auburn higlight and my hair turns auburn when I am out in the sun a lot.
 

tryn2growmyhair

New Member
melodee said:
I used to use it for prepoo treatments overnight, until my husband asked if our son had peed our bed.

LOL! I was wondering how a woman with a husband could use this stuff! Now, you've answered my question! It smells like a combination of so many things, I could understand how he might have thought it was pee. Some products that Indians use a lot, like rosewater and coconut oil, are staples in my regime. But I just cant get down with the Darbur Amla oil. I might try the powder and see how that works out.
 

tryn2growmyhair

New Member
Poohbear said:
Is there anyway to mask the smell? Do you ever feel like "I hope no one smells this on me" when you have it in your hair?
It has exactly that smell. That funky type smell that people will smell. Its the type of smell that if you passed someone down the hall or went to a party and gave someone a hug or any airkiss they would wrinkle their nose.
 

Neroli

New Member
Doesn't the smell wash out with 'poo? I mean, if used as a pre poo for say 30 minutes or so, than 'poo, then condition, then leave in, etc., isn't smell gone by the time hair is dried? Also, won't adding essential oils, like rosemary, ylang ylang, etc. mask the smell as well add extra conditioning properties? Just curious. . .
 

myco

New Member
Neroli said:
Doesn't the smell wash out with 'poo? I mean, if used as a pre poo for say 30 minutes or so, than 'poo, then condition, then leave in, etc., isn't smell gone by the time hair is dried? Also, won't adding essential oils, like rosemary, ylang ylang, etc. mask the smell as well add extra conditioning properties? Just curious. . .

The smell doesn't completely go away after shampooing all the time. I have caught a whiff of it while my hair was airdrying, but it's not as pungent. It's definitely not an oil that I would add to my hair daily. I personally wouldn't add any more smells to it, that might compound things.
 

myco

New Member
tryn2growmyhair said:
Have you noticed an improvement in your hair?

Amla is very high in Vitamin C, so I think that it does have a postive affect. Over time my hair will feel stronger - like it has more weight to it. (if that makes sense)
 

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
tryn2growmyhair said:
It has exactly that smell. That funky type smell that people will smell. Its the type of smell that if you passed someone down the hall or went to a party and gave someone a hug or any airkiss they would wrinkle their nose.
Yeah, that's the type of smell I had with Glover's (the floral scent) when I went to work with it in my hair one day and when I was around other people. It's such a strong smell even with the foral scent. I just washed my hair after I got home. I also had to wash my pillowcase from sleeping with it in my hair because of the smell. I don't see how some ladies apply it everyday or often during the week. Now, I either use it as a pre-wash treatment or it just sits in my cabinet. :D
 

tryn2growmyhair

New Member
myco said:
The smell doesn't completely go away after shampooing all the time. I have caught a whiff of it while my hair was airdrying, but it's not as pungent. It's definitely not an oil that I would add to my hair daily. I personally wouldn't add any more smells to it, that might compound things.
I cannot emphasize how strong the smell is. It is in fact not a smell but an odor . It cannot be masked with another smell and the other additions might make it worse. It is not a mild oil like coconut, jojoba or even oo, which will smell nice if you add a little rose fragrance or something. Believe me, I have done this -- adding fragrance - with shea and mango butter and it has worked well but it will make matters worse with this. It would be like spraying sweaty underarms with perfume, a bad combination!
 

mrslee

Love yourself first!
LOL! You guys are cracking me up about this stuff!!! Well I am going to hang in there with mine and see what happens. So far no one has said anything, but then again, I didnt drench my hair with it! I used about a three drops. I will use more when I do a pre-poo.
 

tryn2growmyhair

New Member
mrslee said:
LOL! You guys are cracking me up about this stuff!!! Well I am going to hang in there with mine and see what happens. So far no one has said anything, but then again, I didnt drench my hair with it! I used about a three drops. I will use more when I do a pre-poo.
Ok, I did use a lot more than that because I was using a prepoo. I don't think that three drops would be enough for anyone to notice. Have you noticed an improvement in your hair or has it helped your hair to grow? You have gorgeous hair. What is your regimen?
 
Top