PRODUCT REVIEW: Mizani Coconut Souffle`

westNDNbeauty

As taken from my BLOG

Price - $14.99-20.00 (8 oz)

Where to Buy - Amazon.com

Product Label - Natural coils and curls—and even some wavy hair types—require extra moisture, protection and style control. New whipped-texture, Coconut Soufflé Light Moisturizing Hairdress disperses evenly and absorbs quickly for touchably soft waves and curls. Using a concentrated, natural-oil blend of coconut and camellina oils, it instantly envelops each strand and infuses it with uniform moisture from the inside out. Additionally, coconut oil helps strengthen hair and reduce breakage. The result is targeted moisturization, along with extra protection at the "stress" points of curly strands.

Top 3 Ingredients - Water, cocos nucifera oil/coconut oil, isopropyl palmitate

West's Word - To start off my day of mane pampering, I began by washing and completing a protein treatment using Mizani Renew Strength Reconstructing Gelee
and followed with my usual overnight deep conditioning with a little coconut, jojoba and olive oil added to my jar of Silk Elements Moisturizing Treatment. The next morning I rinsed, detangled with Nioxin Thermal Bliss
and followed with a little of Mizani's Coconut Souffle
in each section while blow drying using PinkSkates' method. I used this method to basically stretch my hair.

While blow drying, I noticed my hair felt a little straw-like so I decided to hold off on adding any more souffle. I only used it after a section was completely dried and I then rolled it up into a bantu knot. I left all of the bantu knots in for 15 minutes after, hoping this would help with product absorption.

I unknotted all of my hair and found my hands to be very greasy. My hair also did not feel moisturized. I figured maybe I did not use enough product (since it is a "light hairdress") and two strand twisted my hair with additional souffle on each twist....yes, even though it was already greasy. The greasiness went away the very next day but my hair still felt like straw.

It has been 4 days and I have used every moisturizer in my arsenal to make my twists soft and I am still fighting a losing battle. My hair is so dry, there is a little breakage occurring. I am going to make the assumption that the Mizani Coconut Souffle is 100% the culprit in this situation. In the wash and condition process, prior to using the souffle, I made sure to add layers of moisture from my deep conditioning as well as in the blow drying (with Nioxin Thermal Bliss which also doubles as a moisturizer). Layers of moisture is apart of the normal process I complete every week. The only atypical factor in this week's equation is the Mizani Coconut Souffle.

This product behaves much like how pure coconut oil behaves on my dry hair. The only difference is, while my hair was wet, it still made my hair feel straw-like. Pure coconut oil usually does wonders when I use it on my wet hair. I thought with all of the additional ingredients in the souffle, it would somehow work to absorb into my hair and increase the softness. I was wrong.

Taking a look at the first 3 ingridients which are basically water, coconut oil and isopropyl palmitate which is basically an emulsifier and thickner; I'm no scientist, but I am assuming this ingredient is what was used to turn the coconut oil and water into a cream. After a little research about this ingredient and how its thickness can deprive skin of oxygen by clogging pores [source], I won't put it pass that something similar to this is what happened to my hair. My hair shaft now seems to be "clogged" with moisturizers not being able to penetrate. This is probably the reason why my hair is not able to be moisturized with use of other products which all usually work all other times.

Triniwegian

I love that stuff and it smells divine.
I have decided to use all natural products so I won't be enjoying it anymore, but it's definitely a great product that can justify the price ( I paid $16 for it).