Products That Don't Work For Your Hair Anymore.

NaturalEnigma

Hello Ladies! Glad to be here. I'm new to the site, but I've been on my hair journey for about a year and a half now. The problem I have is, I'm starting to notice that the staple products I LOVED:love2: are not working for me anymore . Exhibit A. Phyto 9 Ultra Nourishing Cream made my hair so SOFT and moisturized, but than the second time I brought the cream, it didn't do anything for my hair. Qhemet Biologics Burdock Root Butter Cream was another one of my favorites, but now that I use it, it makes my hair so HARD, the crazy thing is I haven't even finished the jar yet. I clarify once a month, so its not like I have product build-up. I'm so confused . It takes a lot of time and money to find the right products, not to mention that my hair is running through them like water. Does anyone have any suggestions?

melissa-bee

Maybe your hair is getting used to it. Like sometimes your hair may really really need protein, so you give it protein and your hair feels awesome, different and strong. But two weeks later your hair may be well balanced so when you try the protien again you don't really feel the difference because your hair didn't need it as much as last time. It's much like food and hunger. When you're really hungry any food may taste the best, because your body's craving the food. But when you have the same meal on a half-full belly it might just taste standard this time because you're not as hungry as last time. I hope i made sense.

brucebettye

The products that work for me then stop are usely protein based products like the above poster mentioned. I loved cantu shea butter, but by the second jar my hair was having protein overload so I do not use that stuff anymore. But the moisturizing products always work well for me I just rotate between them and have no problems.

Eisani

Do you think it could be that they may work seasonally? I personally don't buy into the adage that something can just stop working unless a) there was a change in the ingredients, b) something else has changed in your regimen (i.e. natural to relaxed, different product introduced, etc), or c) the product only works for you in warmer/colder months. For example, I LOVE coconut oil and HE Totally Twisted in the hot months but as of right now, it does nothing for my hair. Qhemet AOHC works beautifully for me now, but I wouldn't touch that stuff w/a ten foot pole in the summer. Just a thought...

NaturalEnigma

The products that work for me then stop are usely protein based products like the above poster mentioned. I loved cantu shea butter, but by the second jar my hair was having protein overload so I do not use that stuff anymore. But the moisturizing products always work well for me I just rotate between them and have no problems.

I think I might have to start rotating the products I use. I know Qhemet Biologics products have MSM sulfur, maybe I had a sulfur overload lol.

NaturalEnigma

Maybe your hair is getting used to it. Like sometimes your hair may really really need protein, so you give it protein and your hair feels awesome, different and strong. But two weeks later your hair may be well balanced so when you try the protien again you don't really feel the difference because your hair didn't need it as much as last time. It's much like food and hunger. When you're really hungry any food may taste the best, because your body's craving the food. But when you have the same meal on a half-full belly it might just taste standard this time because you're not as hungry as last time. I hope i made sense.

Great analogy, I never thought of it that way. I think you're right my hair probably had enough of the ingredients from my moisturizer. I ordered Shescentit's Seyani hair butter hopefully my hair likes it.

melissa-bee

^that's why people rotate products. You just give your hair what it needs... Basically, a protein based or a moisture based product. Then something in between to try and maintain the balance.

RosesBlack

I rotate my products or if something really stops working especially conditioners I mix other things into them or use them as additives for DC's, to my henna or as pre-poos.

God's Anointed

Like the other ladies said, you may just need to rotate. If your hair gets used to your favorite products, they aren't going to work as effective anymore...