Professional stylist doing hair in the home ....

SUPER SWEET

Do you feel that you should get a discount or hair priced less because the hair is done in the home and not a salon? What factors would make you pay salon prices?

The scenario:
Hannah has recieved her license about 3 years ago. She was fighting with stylists and others in the salon, so she left. She doesnt have her in home salon set up yet due to money issues. So you will get your hair washed in the kitchen sink. She uses a combo of low and high end products. Her final result is good hair but you will need to re-style once you get home.

Sample Pricelist
Blow/Curl 35.00
Rollerset 40.00
Relaxer or touchup 75.00
Coloring 75 and up
Weave 200.00

JustKiya

If she acts professionally in her home (ie, no kids running around, no lunch breaks while in your hair, no taking personal calls, etc), I can overlook the humbleness of the surroundings - esp. if she has skills.

amwcah

If she has a license, then salon prices are not unreasonable. However, in your scenario you have indicated some key items that warrant a significant discount (ie kitchen sink :nono:).

LivingDoll

Do you feel that you should get a discount or hair priced less because the hair is done in the home and not a salon? What factors would make you pay salon prices?

The scenario:
Hannah has recieved her license about 3 years ago. She was fighting with stylists and others in the salon, so she left. She doesnt have her in home salon set up yet due to money issues. So you will get your hair washed in the kitchen sink. She uses a combo of low and high end products. Her final result is good hair but you will need to re-style once you get home.

Sample Pricelist
Blow/Curl 35.00
Rollerset 40.00
Relaxer or touchup 75.00
Coloring 75 and up
Weave 200.00

Honestly, I don't think I'd want to pay those prices to bend over the kitchen sink. I don't even bend over my own kitchen sink! If she's real good maybe I would consider but I'm leaning more towards no.

MizAvalon

The stylist I used to go to worked in a salon when I met her, then moved her operation to her home. However she still had a salon shampoo bowl and dryer at her home.

Her level of professionalism did go down some because she was just so comfortable at her house but her prices stayed the same. I didn't mind that because they were reasonable to begin with. I left her because she just became a little too relaxed and her work wasn't as good.

Leaning over a kitchen sink though? No, I'm not paying someone for that when I can do it myself for free.

Ivy_Butter

My mom knew a friend from work whose wife did hair. Whenever she did hair in her home for us she charged less and that's what I would expect. Think about it, in a salon she's paying part of her profits to the salon owner and/or paying to rent the space. In her house there are no extra fees all the money she makes goes to her and only her. Why else would I let someone do my hair in their house rather than a salon. Its a win-win situation.

LivingDoll

My mom knew a friend from work whose wife did hair. Whenever she did hair in her home for us she charged less and that's what I would expect. Think about it, in a salon she's paying part of her profits to the salon owner and/or paying to rent the space. In her house there are no extra fees all the money she makes goes to her and only her. Why else would I let someone do my hair in their house rather than a salon. Its a win-win situation.

Actually, I think that people doing hair at home incur higher expenses from water, gas and electric use...so, that may warrant the higher prices...but I'm saying tho...

Twisties

I like the idea of home salons sometimes it's just more cozy, but the price should definitely be lower if it is not "set up" like an real salon. A section of the house should be seperated and used only for the business.

To charge salon prices, you can't have clients bend at the kitchen sink, you have to have a shampoo bowl, a good dryer with comfortable chair, mirrors, and proper styling tools, etc.

If you have to bend at the sink, then the price should reflect that lol.

lisana

If you want me to treat you like a real stylist and pay you real rates then you have to treat it like a business and expend some dough on some professional supplies like a shampoo bowl and professional dryers. I'm not paying top dollar if you have me bent over the kitchen sink and drying my hair under your Gold n' Hot :lachen: sorry.

ravenmerlita

It depends on how the home is set up, the experience of the stylist and their professionalism. I had a friend who moved from a shop to working from his home. He set up a separate entrance, transformed a large walk-in closet area to the shampoo bowl area, created a waiting area from an extra bedroom, and had a separate bathroom for customers (all of this on the same level). There were costs involved for setting this up (especially the plumbing for the shampoo bowls), additional utility costs and the loss of part of his home to the business. He kept his prices about the same and I think that these prices were fair as he had to absorb the set-up costs. Also, for me, it was an upgrade in terms of comfort, tranquililty and privacy from the place he was in where he shared space with other stylists and the waiting areas could get crowded.

Another friend of mine has her hair done by a well-known stylist/product expert who works from home and only takes a few clients on referral. She is extremely professional, very good and I believe she could charge much more than she does given her experience and uniqueness. She also has a very professional set-up.

Last edited:

sunshinebeautiful

The scenario:

Sample Pricelist
Blow/Curl 35.00
Rollerset 40.00
Relaxer or touchup 75.00
Coloring 75 and up
Weave 200.00

Those prices are bogus to be getting washed in the kitchen sink.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
I would be willing to pay full price for a quality stylist, regardless of location. I would still expect a proper set up, but that can certainly be established in his/her home.

Moroni

The scenario:

Sample Pricelist
Blow/Curl 35.00
Rollerset 40.00
Relaxer or touchup 75.00
Coloring 75 and up
Weave 200.00

Only if she's my best friend or her daughter, my neice, or sister, and insists on doing something to "earn" the money I've given her because she's on hard times! Otherwise, I'll just wait until the salon is set up. See ya!

Keen

In the State of Florida, probably others also, the only way you can operate a salon out of your home is if the Salon has a separate entrance from your home. That place has to be dedicated for the Salon only. Otherwise it is illegal.

If it is operating within the law. They should charge you just like a regular salon.

soonergirl

My stylist does hair at home and at a shop... She has a set day each week that she does hair from her home and actually discounts her prices...Her set up is professional, separate entrance, shampoo bowl, 2 large dryers, and a small seating area... I personally like going to her home as its conveinent to my work location, and it feels more cozy.. Her shop environment is busy and she works with (male) barbers...I hate walking by the men section with a tore up head!!:yep:

jada1111

If she acts professionally in her home (ie, no kids running around, no lunch breaks while in your hair, no taking personal calls, etc), I can overlook the humbleness of the surroundings - esp. if she has skills.

Yeah, I agree.

I remember visiting this girl at her home to get my hair braided and couldn't stand it. She would be yelling at the kids, having to stop to answer questions and then eat.

I don't feel like being bothered with that crap. If you know you're going to have a client over that DOES NOT have children, then you need to have someone watching little johnnie 'n em. I want my hair done as quickly as possible.

blackbarbie

This is definitely something to think about and something I have been pondering as well.

A co-worker keeps suggesting to me an old co-worker of hers that does her daughter's hair. I told her that since I am transitioning, I am verrrry particular about getting my hair done in a salon b/c they may not be as patient with me (my hair). She says this lady is licensed and does her daughter's hair and does an excellent job (her daughter's hair is the same texture as mine). So even though the lady is licensed and has been for a while now, she actually has a full time job doing something else.

I want to try her out, but I have all these questions swimming around in my head about prices, setup (is it professional or will she expect me to bend over the bowl), atmosphere, etc., but don't know how to come right out and ask my co-worker (since it is her friend).......

BB

tbaby_8

I am a stylist. I work part time at a salon. I really don't like doing hair out of my home because, one people think that because you do it out of your home, then they can just show up anytime and you can do their hair. Also, it's just not professional. You need to have an area set up like a salon, with the proper items and equipment. That is just being professional.

The only people I do at the house are immediate family memebers and they already expect me to either shampoo their hair in the sink or they shampoo it themselves in the shower and then i do their hair. And I usually only charge $20.00 for whatever I do for them.:grin:

MizAvalon

Actually, I think that people doing hair at home incur higher expenses from water, gas and electric use...so, that may warrant the higher prices...but I'm saying tho...

Yes, that's true. If you're running a business like that from your home, your utility bills are most likely going to go up.