Protecting the Hair from Salt Water

vickid

We're going to Jamaica and Puerto Rico for 2 weeks and I don't want the salt water to wreck my hair. What can I do to protect it? (I know this was posted before but I can't search to find the thread!!!) TIA

Nice & Wavy

vickid said:
We're going to Jamaica and Puerto Rico for 2 weeks and I don't want the salt water to wreck my hair. What can I do to protect it? (I know this was posted before but I can't search to find the thread!!!) TIA

I am too (Jamaica)in September for 2 weeks....I would love to know what to use as well!:p

JLove74

I used to live in the V.I and was in the salt water all the time. Here are 2 suggestions:
Before going out to the beach apply some conditioner (either diluted with water and sprayed or just smother over your hair)
After - immediately rinse our hair out or do a co-wash

The sand and salt can be killers.

Have fun:cool: :cool:

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
JLove74 said:
I used to live in the V.I and was in the salt water all the time. Here are 2 suggestions:
Before going out to the beach apply some conditioner (either diluted with water and sprayed or just smother over your hair)

The sand and salt can be killers.

Have fun:cool: :cool:
I've done this before, worked for me:)

Phoenix

Man, I coulda used this thread a couple of weeks ago. The husband and I just got back from Cancun. I was alternating between the pool and the beach, so I know it was hard on my hair. But so far so good...I'm not seeing any ill effects.

KiniKakes

I actually just got braids, because im going away to the beach this weekend and I know that i'll be swimming in the ocean and at the hotel pool and stuff.

I dont do anything before hand to protect my hair...... but i do get the braids deliberately so that i can frolick about in the water guilt-free, and then afterward i shower and just rinse the salt water/chlorine out of my hair. I dont shampoo it or anything at this time, just rinse it all out real good. When i return home on Wednesday i'll probably shampoo and stuff.

This has always worked for me.

Last edited:

WomanlyCharm

This thread is right on time...I'm heading to the beach next week! :)

Will any kind of conditioner do to put on before you head out into the sun and surf, or is there one you all would reccomend?

vickid

THANKS EVERYBODY! Since my hair has started to grow, I don't want to slow down progress!!

In honor of your wonderful suggestions, I'll have a nice shot of rum once I get there!!!

JLove74 said:
:

HEY VICKI!!!
ITA with the advice. I would also make sure I mosturize my hair really well and seal with a nice oil to keep your hair from drying out.
Have fun girl!:drunk2: :drunk2: