protection in a protective style

gn1g

I think I have messed up my ends once again. I am so sick and tired of set backs.

I've been wearing a french roll stuffed w/synthetic hair. I just roll my hair around it and stick a barbie pin in it. Well last night when I took it down my ends looked horrible:eek:. I was "almost" in tears.

If I could just get it to grow, and retain the growth at the same time. Just need to make a bit of progress.

After analyzing my ends I put my satin bonnet on and went to bed, I awoke this morning with an idea. Tell me what you think.

I am going to get some dark (darkest) brown satin material and sew it into a tub. sort of like the sleeve used for umbrellas. Stuff the tube with the synthethic hair or something else and use it, to stuff my french roll. Do you all think that will protect my ends?

Do you all have any suggestions? My ends are super fragile.

baglady215

That sounds like a great idea! Put some shea butter or grease/vaseline on your ends too so they can stay moisturized.

Bmm

I think that if you use human hair for your bun, your hair would not be dry. Also if you apply oil or vitamin e to your ends that should help as baglady suggested... I do a bun as my protective style, and I really oil my ends when I am about to do my bun- which I do on a sunday night and dont take down until the next wash day. Which is that next weekend. I also use human hair to do my bun.

Isis

I wore (and still wear on occasion) French Twists/Rolls. I LOVE this style! This is a great protective style and everyone who wears them will have messed up looking ends, not messed up ends. The ends are not damaged at all from this style - it just looks and feels funny. It comes from the ends scrunched up against the other hair, that's all. Unless you did something else to your ends, they should be just fine. :yep:

Just keep them moisturized as usual.

Diane71

gn1, I do this on a daily basis, and it helps to keep my ends moisturized and smooth at the same time. I make 4 twists in my hair and I coat the ends of my twists with either a light hair cream or a light hair oil..nothing heavy like vaseline. Then I put my twists in a bun with a scrunchie around it and wear it like that for the whole week. I might take them down to re-moisturize my ends and put it right back in my twist bun. I don't comb or manipulate my hair in any way and it is growing sooo fast.

so fast!!
Pics of my hair coming soon, I'm working on it.
public.fotki.com/Diane71/

chellee

gn1g said:
you all should see what it looks like :eek: . male organ!:lachen:

:lachen: :grin: You gotta do what you gotta do!!!!

I think protecting your ends starts with your wash procedure (leave-in followed by serum or oil or rollerset to seal your ends. Then anything else until your next wash is just maintenance (lightly oiling during the week as needed) When my ends are dry between washes I spritz them with a little water and/or walk around in a plastic cap for a few hours then I add a little product to the ends.

L

lkg4healthyhair

gng1
I wear a ballet bun and instead of using the foam I wraped it in the material from one of my satin bonnets, and I found this to be better.

I have a problem with my ends getting dry also, but I realized that I was washing my hair and when my hair gets wet and air dries in the bun it would get frizzy.

krissyprissy

I use protectiv healthy ends creme and jojoba oil on my ends before I put my hair in a french twist or bun. It really helps keep my ends moist.

S

Sandy10

I think you should give that a try. Also make sure you are conditioning your strands properly, make sure your ends are coated with the conditioner with heat for at least 20 minutes weekly and moisturize the ends daily. Protective styles always make my ends feel healthy. Another thing, try wrapping your hair in a silk wrap after work to smooth ends.