Protective Hair Styles To Try

BeautifulFlower

The "Bun" or "Classic Chignon"

The Bun hairstyle is achieved by coiling the hair into a basic bun and then "stitching" the bun to the hair against your head using an in-and-out sewing motion as you instert the hair sticks in a crossed design. You may find your hair is more controllable by putting it in a small, neutral ponytail holder first and then twisting the hair until it begins to coil naturally (make sure you hide the ponytail holder under the coils).

The "Classic French Twist"

The Classic French Twist hairstyle is deceptively easy to create; however it may not work well if your hair is extremely long or extremely thick. Fasten your hair in a ponytail holder and divide it into three sections. Grasp your hair in a ponytail at the base of your neck and twist it toward the left a few times. Slowly swing the ponytail up toward your right, continuing the twisting motion to create a roll up the back of your head. Keep twisting your hair all the way to the ends and then fold the remaining ponytail back down and tuck it under the roll. Use several hairsticks down the edge of the roll to "sew" the roll in place. This style looks equally great with matching hair sticks, coordinating hairsticks or even contrasting hairsticks, as well as 2-prong hair combs (see our Victorian Hair Combs).

The "Edwardian"

The Edwardian is a gorgeous Prom hairstyle or romantic wedding hair style, but can be a little tricky to do yourself. Pick up a section of hair at your temple and twist it toward your head. Keep adding sections of hair as you move toward the back of your head, twisting as you go. Fasten the twisted hair with a clip and repeat the same process on the other side. Once both sides are twisted, secure all your hair in a hair safe barette or ponytail holder. Insert hair sticks or other hair jewelry to add glamour to the rolled sections. You may find your hair needs a few bobby pins to hold the rolls in place.

The "Edwardian Braid"

The Edwardian Braid hair style can be achieved by following the directions for the "Edwardian" above and then braiding the loose hair into a standard English braid after it is rolled. Hair jewerly can be used to bring drama to the rolls or can be woven through the braid for variation.

The "Topknot"

To create the Topknot hairstyle, part hair from side-to-side, just above your ears. Comb all the hair above the part straight back and coil into a bun. You may find it easier to put your hair into a small neutral ponytail holder first and then twisting the hair until it begins to coil naturally (make sure you hide the ponytail holder under the coils). Secure by stitching the bun to the hair against your head with one or two hairsticks, depending on the size of the finished bun. Vary this look by braiding the hair before coiling it.

The "Flamenco"

The Flamenco is very elegant, perfect for Prom or wedding hair styles. Separate your hair with your fingers into two even sections. Don't part your hair with a comb as you don't want to end up with a part down the back of your head. Coil each section into a bun at your hairline in the back and fasten each with two hair sticks. You might find it easier to twist your hair until it begins to coil naturally. This is a great style if you have too much hair to fit into one bun.

"The "Weave"

The Weave hairstyle is a another great way to wear hairsticks if you only want to wear your sticks as ornaments. English or French braid your hair and weave the hairstick through the finished braid. With very little practice you should be able to easily control how much of the stick you want to show or hide.

The "French Tuck"

The French Tuck hairstyle is a great way to show off hair sticks even if your hair isn't much longer than shoulder length, and it's a great hairstyle for Prom. Begin by creating a French braid and secure the ends with a ponytail holder. Tuck the end of the braid below the hairline up underneath the woven hair and secure with a bobby pin or two. Weave hair sticks throughout the French braided sections of the hairstyle, hiding or showing as much of the stick portion as you like.

The "Victorian"

The Victorian hair style is a very fancy look but is also a bit more complicated. Create a ponytail, but don't make it too close to your head, leave some space between your head and the ponytail holder. Gently pull your hair apart above the ponytail holder to create a hole. Make sure the hole goes all the way down to your hairline. Flip the ponytail up and tuck it through the hole so it hangs down again. Separate the ponytail into three sections and weave each one into a standard English braid. Fasten all three braids together and fold them up to where you originally tucked your ponytail. Push the ponytail holder into the same hole far enough to hide it. Use an in and out motion with two hair pins to "stitch" the tucked hair to the hair on your head and keep it in place. This style is great for a Victorian wedding look!

The "Juliet"

The Juliet hairstyle is a very romantic look and is a great Prom hair style if you want to wear at least part of your hair down and long. Start by parting the hair from side-to-side, just above your ears. Comb all the hair above the part straight back and weave it into an English braid (if your hair is very long, it might be easier to let someone else do the braiding). Fasten the end of the braid in a ponytail holder and then weave one or two hair sticks through the braid, depending on its length. How much of the stick shows is up to you!

The "Elegant Gibson"

The Elegant Gibson hairstyle is a bit more complicated but the results are very pretty. This is a gorgeous updo hairstyle for weddings, though it won't work on extremely long hair, especially if it's very thick. Create a ponytail, but don't make it too close to your head, leave some space between your head and the ponytail holder. Gently pull your hair apart above the ponytail holder to create a sort of "pocket." Flip the ponytail up and tuck it inside the pocket. Try to evenly distribute the hair so you don't end up with a bulge anywhere. Make sure you push the ponytail holder into the pocket far enough to hide it. Use an in and out motion with two hairsticks to "stitch" the rolled hair to the hair on your head and keep it in place.

The "Compass"

The Compass hair style is a great way to wear hairsticks if you only want to wear your sticks as ornaments or if your hair isn't quite long enough to create a more complicated style. Simply gather your hair in a ponytail at the back of your head and slide the hairsticks into the hair against your head underneath your ponytail holder. This look is especially effective if you use a ponytail holder that simulates your own braided hair (of course, those with longer locks can coil their own braid around the base of the ponytail).

The "Rope"

The Rope hairstyle is created in a similar manner to braiding, however it can be difficult to do yourself especially if your hair is very long. Fasten your hair in a ponytail holder and divide it into three sections. Beginning on either side, grasp the outside section and twist it toward the other two sections. Cross the twisted section and over the other two sections. Repeat the proces for the entire length of hair, always working from the same side. Fasten the ends with a ponytail holder and insert hair pins as desired for accent.

The "Double Braided Bun"

This hairstyle is fabulous for hair that is very thick hair and may be difficult to wear up in a single bun. To create the Double Braided Bun divide the hair into top and bottom sections by making a part across the head just above the ears. English Braid the top section of the hair toward the top of the back of the head. Fasten the ends with a ponytail holder and twist the braid into a bun, tucking the ends underneath being sure to hide the ponytail holder. Secure the bun with two hair sticks, using the in and out sewing motion. Repeat the process for the lower section, securing the second bun directly beneath the first with two more hair pins.

C@ssandr@

formerly known as "keyawarren"
I have a question about the "Gibson". Is it safe for my hair to be tucked under and rubbing against my other hairs? Should I dampen my ends with alot moisture first? I'm kinda new to bunning and portective styles...

BeautifulFlower

I have a question about the "Gibson". Is it safe for my hair to be tucked under and rubbing against my other hairs? Should I dampen my ends with alot moisture first? I'm kinda new to bunning and portective styles...

I would guess your ends should be dampen'd pretty well but we'll see what ballerina has to say.

Ballerina_Bun

I would guess your ends should be dampen'd pretty well but we'll see what ballerina has to say.

I never really dampen my ends for this style. I don't anything different, just the usual by putting something on my ends and sealing.

I've never had a problem with this style. I think it's beautiful with braidouts ... before humidity gets to it that is :lachen:

PrettyfaceANB: Your hair is very pretty in your signature. The flower adds a special touch!

Last edited:

Ronnieaj

Okay, I need my hair to grow so I can try some of these! Especially the "Gibson," since my SO's last name happens to coincide! Oh he'll just love that :lachen:! BTW, Ballerina, could you baggy your ends before sticking them inside? I love your siggy too--such a beautiful look!!