Protective Hair Styles

queenofmean68

I have baby fine, relaxed hair that is about 4 inches from bra-strap length. I just comb it down in the morning and go--it hangs very straight. Anyway, I noticed that many of you swear by protective hair styles, such as buns, braidouts, etc... I also believe that "less" is more, and I try my best not to manipulate my hair too much when it is wet, due to tangling. For those of you that do not wear protective styles & allow your ends to be loose---how do you maintain them and minimize breakage? Have you been able to achieve your hair goals?

inthepink

I had pretty long hair wearing my hair down every single day for the most part. At the longest - just about 6 months ago - it was just a few inches from my waist. I never took pictures b/c I honestly didn't believe it was that long until people said something. I think the issue is that I had to get my ends trimmed every 2 months whereas when you wear protective styles, I think trimming that often won't be necessary once the majority of the split ends are gone upon starting protective styling. I've already noticed this difference. I wear my hair up now as I transition - though I do not necessarily keep my ends hidden - and I keep my ends moisturized a couple of times a day. It's been over a month since I got a trim and when I look at my hair, I see NO split ends. When I wore my hair down all the time, a month after my trim, I'd start seeing split ends again. I hope that helps. In short, I think it takes longer to reach hair goals when wearing hair down b/c you need trims more often.

inthepink

I've been using Proclaim Coconut Oil. I bought it on a whim while at the checkout counter of Sally's b/c it was 99 cents. I'm a little disappointed that it's basically petrolatum (sp?) with coconut oil...but it seems to work to 'seal' ends, I suppose. I only use it on my ends though.