Protective Style Breakdown

that_1_grrrl

Is there a thread on here that breaks down protective styles? If not, would anyone like to contribute breakdowns of protective styles in this thread?

Here are some things that need to be considered:

- To whom will the protective style be most beneficial?
(Transitioners/Relaxed/Natural, Short/long-haired, fine/coarse and fine/thick)

- How does the style protect?
(ie. Keeping hair off shoulders, low manipulation, protecting ends)

- How easy is to achieve?

- Does the style require a lot of manipulation?
(Could it possibly do more harm than good for some?)

- Is the style only meant for people who use a lot of heat?
(Would this be pointless for those who don't use heat?)

- If the style requires a certain length, texture, or thickness, is there anyway to get around that or receive the same benefits?
(Example: Hair is to short for a bun - other ways to protect ends?)

List of PS:
Twists
Twistouts
Braids
Braidouts
Bunning
Rollersetting
Weaving
Covering hair (with wigs, scarves, etc.)
Bantu Knots
Bantu Knot-outs
Afro (short hair)
Palm rolls
(More?)

Please share personal info. I would just love for there to be a go-to place for people trying to evaluate if a certain PS would work for them.

Nayna

Unbothered
I think it's a good idea, I currently have Kinky twists in my hair and this morning as I was playing in them I realized that there's tangling in them, almost like they are dreading up in the twists!!! So something like this would've benefitted me before I put them in my hair.

that_1_grrrl

I think it's a good idea, I currently have Kinky twists in my hair and this morning as I was playing in them I realized that there's tangling in them, almost like they are dreading up in the twists!!! So something like this would've benefitted me before I put them in my hair.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking when I posted. Sometimes when I do twists, I get bad tangles that are hard to get out.

I really hope this post catches on and people will start sharing info. It may be very helpful..

B_sWife79

Buns - I did sock buns for a while and I really liked them until I checked out the bottom of the sock, where I had cut it and found broken ends on it. I read on here once something about wrapping it in silk or satin, but I haven't quite mastered that though. I find that I have to let my hair airdry all the way before doing the sock bun, but its great for not manipulating so much and still having a neat look 7 or so weeks post.

that_1_grrrl

Buns - I did sock buns for a while and I really liked them until I checked out the bottom of the sock, where I had cut it and found broken ends on it. I read on here once something about wrapping it in silk or satin, but I haven't quite mastered that though. I find that I have to let my hair airdry all the way before doing the sock bun, but its great for not manipulating so much and still having a neat look 7 or so weeks post.

Thank you so much for your input!

krissyprissy

Yes, if you do a sock bun be sure to sew black satin on it. I used a old hair bonnet that was worn out for mine. Next, I moved on to french twist secured by a hair clip or fork, which I still do today. This is what got me from shoulder length to BSL in 18 months. My hair has been cut since then due to self relaxing and I plan on reaching my goal again by wearing half wigs and french twist. I don't do low malipulation styles which are braid outs or bantu not outs because the hair ends are exposed to dryness. I prefer my ends to be completely hidden for maximum results. The key is to switch it up and invest in lots of hair accessories like the one in my avatar.

davisbr88

I used Senegalese twists from November - January, and then again from February - the beginning of this month. I used it to cut down on the work I needed to do since I'm transitioning. They were super convenient, and my hair grew wonderfully.

I think this will benefit everyone! I think you just need to have like 1.5" of hair or something. I am transitioning and I have fine hair and they worked just fine for me.

(ie. Keeping hair off shoulders, low manipulation, protecting ends)
Hides hair basically; hardly any manipulation at all after the initial install unless you choose to wash and condition, which I definitely recommend since some of your hair is still exposed in the twist, and I am also very careful to take care of my scalp. A simple wash and condition is not really manipulation though.

It's easy if you're having someone else do it. I have no idea how hard/easy it is to do them yourself. I just sat there. The only trouble I had was with headaches because I am VERY tender-headed. Think 5 year old girl getting her hair combed... that's me. So if you are like me, or even if you are even remotely sensitive, keep a bottle of Tylenol handy.

Nope. Barely any manipulation except when washing/conditioning. Taking them out sucks A LOT, though.

I used absolutely no heat except for the hot water on the ends when they were first done to set the style, and when I wanted a different look, I braided the twists in chunky braids an dipped those in the hot water. I don't know if there is any way to really put heat on these anyway, since it's synthetic hair and would probably melt if you tried to, but I don't know what would make anyone try in the first place.

- If the style requires a certain length, texture, or thickness, is there anyway to get around that or receive the same benefits?
Nope... I just think that you need 1.5" of hair like I said before. I don't know how it would look on balding hair, but for just regular hair (even fine - which is what I have), it should work.

Ijanei

Sure I will give from my own experience, I can not speak for every1 though :grin:

My protective style of choice is a french roll, a quick bun that requires no hard work, I also do this thing with my hair where I twist up my ends and stick a long stick or something thru it so my hair is pinned up.

I personally think it's beneficial to all. Well IMO short hair may be a little harder to maintain with a protective style other than braids, sew-ins or wigs.

Keeping hair off shoulders, low manipulation, protecting ends

Takes little work (I will post pics and everything later, I'm' at work right now and shouldnt even be on here :lachen:)

It seems easy and little manipulation (well at least to me bcuz I been doing my own twist ups for a while now)

No

As stated earlier, short hair below neck length may be harder to pin up or bun but NL and longer is when I started.

Please share personal info. I would just love for there to be a go-to place for people trying to evaluate if a certain PS would work for them.

Well I posted this in another thread but I remember when I was younger and I received my first hair cut, my hair was abound NL so my grandmother kept my hair greased (yes she used that heavy a** grease back in the day) and she would french roll my hair EVERYDAY! I didnt even touch my hair other than once every 3-4 days for her to redo it. Finally after about 7months of that freakin roll, I took my hair done to relax it, I noticed my hair was way past my shoulders. - NO LIE! That's another reason why I started this up again this past month.

Alisha865

I'm personally addicted to straight hair and my protective styles are wigs, half wigs, and braids. If you think that any of these styles compromise your progress just keep on asking the other members and maybe you can find a way to still get want you want with little to no damage. I thought that braid word annihilate my hair line but if I do them myself and not as tight as the "Professional" do I am fine.

drappedup

Ut oh, I sock bun 24/7 now, and I'm just using a regular sock. :perplexed: I didn't think about using a satin one. I don't even have a satin one....