Protective Style Hater...

Rezgirl

Ok gals, here's the problem...my hair doesn't agree with protective styles! Everytime I try to rock it in a ponytail, my hairdresser scolds me! She tells me that it causes breakage in my hair and that I need to wear it out as much as possible. For those like Sylver 2 who "only let hair touch silk or satin", what do you do during the day? I can do the scarf thing at night but, do I like fling it over my shoulders at work or what? Heeeellllpppppppp :confused:

Ok - one more thing before I'm done....trims....If I go for months without a trim I get a lot of split ends and end up getting chopped. Instead I try to have her evaluate when I relax (every 12-16 weeks) and I try to do at least one salon visit in between relaxers so she can check it out for splits. My stylist is mad cool and absolutely won't trim if there is no splits. My concern is everyone seems to be on the "no-trim" bandwagon...are my trims really evil? :crying3:

Ashee

One, to help with the ends you can use a serum to seal them...

Two, the protective styles CANNOT BE TIGHT! THAT & not the style itself, is what breaks off the hair. If you do buns or ponytails they must be slightly loose & you should change up where you position them. You can do them at night & wear your hair out at night, but you shouldn't get breakage with the styles...
-HTH :)

caligirl

My hairdresser used to scold me to for wearing ponytails. Now I do my updos with a big ole satin scrunchie and booby pins or good hair day pins. I feel like its not doing any damage.

bajanplums1

caligirl said:
My hairdresser used to scold me to for wearing ponytails. Now I do my updos with a big ole satin scrunchie and booby pins or good hair day pins. I feel like its not doing any damage.

I just started using hair pins to, I think it's a good move . . .

amy1234

well, you could wear your hair out but you could risk getting more splits by having your hair rub against your shirt. just my little 2 cents.

caligirl

Can someone explain to me why some women have hair down their back and never wear protective styles? I want to know their secret.

Ashee

caligirl said:
Can someone explain to me why some women have hair down their back and never wear protective styles? I want to know their secret.
A major heory is that once the hair passes the shoulders, it has passed one of the main "danger points" when the hair has major breakage.... It gets caught in clothes, bag handles, etc.
Usually once it passes this point it isn't really necessary to use these styles unless keeping the ends tucked in or just for style...
What works for some may not work for others.... :ohwell:

California

Ashee said:
A major heory is that once the hair passes the shoulders, it has passed one of the main "danger points" when the hair has major breakage.... It gets caught in clothes, bag handles, etc.
Usually once it passes this point it isn't really necessary to use these styles unless keeping the ends tucked in or just for style...
What works for some may not work for others.... :ohwell:

Yeah, I agree with you on this one. I like to do what I gotta do, but now all that tucking and hiding the ends, I might as well have short hair if I'm gonna do all that. I tuck my hair in a wrap if I don't wanna do it, other than that girl please I'm like some of yall and Sylver2 I'm wearing it down and out, I'm a let it blow in the wind.

chocolate01

I've never been one for protective styles myself so I feel you on this one. I aleays wore my hair down with the exception of when I wore a wool sweater or something. I just always made sure to take care of my ends extra. As for trims I like to get get every 3 months anyway as i've never been on the "no trim" bandwagon.