Protective styles for collar/neck length hair?

Substance&Style

hey ladies!

i am a newbie here. after being natural since '99 and not taking care of my natural hair like i should have. (it was a disaster that we dont even need to talk about.) my hair had to be butchered. my hair was approximately 10"-12" inches stretched, however it had to be CUTT.

i mean, i would do crazy things, like never get a trim, if my hair got tangled at the ends, i just ripped through it, instead of taking the time to really detangle. i used lame shampoos. et al...

i got a perm on 4/5/06 :eek: (i know, right i cannot believe it myself.) i just really wanted a change though. before the perm i had some yarn twists, and they stripped and tangled my hair so badly :( that i had to cut some of it myself to get the tangles out.

long story short (no pun intended lol) my hair is now relaxed and collar length. i have read that at this length your hair can really break off because of constantly rubbing against your clothing. my hair has thinned out tremendously, because of the yarn twists, but not to the point that i cannot wear a nice wrap style. as i wait for my hair to fill back in and grow nice and long what are some styles that i can wear to help me through my process?

please help :)

p.s. i came to this site because you ladies seem to really have fun learning how to take care of your hair. i think it will be fun to see how long it grows. i really dont have an attachment to my hair,(i can grow it long and then cut it all off today or tomorrow) because hair is just hair to me, as long as it is clean and neat, but i want to learn to get a bit more into it :p

ayoung

here are a few:

donut/sock bun
phony pony
bantu knot out
braid out
twist out
roller set

Welcome to the board!

SweetCaramel1

hi and welcome :wave: you can do pinup styles (french roll, back pinned up with partial front down, etc...). you get really skilled with practice.

ayoung

SweetCaramel1 said:
hi and welcome :wave: you can do pinup styles (french roll, back pinned up with partial front down, etc...). you get really skilled with practice.

Thanks for this post! I really need to branch out in my styles. I think I'm gonna wear my bun today w/ some hair out in the front!:)

sassyhair

I wear a bannana clip with a swoop bang most of the time...I think I will go out and get a half wig this week though.

plove

i really dont have an attachment to my hair,(i can grow it long and then cut it all off today or tomorrow) because hair is just hair to me, as long as it is clean and neat, but i want to learn to get a bit more into it :p

I'm the same way with my hair:grin:

Substance&Style

sassyhair said:
I wear a bannana clip with a swoop bang most of the time...I think I will go out and get a half wig this week though.

i would like to do this, but i am wondering would the constant raising and taking down of the hair break it off :( i am thinking i should braid the back and get a fall :ohwell:

Substance&Style

sassyhair said:

i would like to do this, but i am wondering would the constant raising and taking down of the hair break it off :( i am thinking i should braid the back and get a fall :ohwell:

sassyhair

Substance&Style said:

I dont know, i guess it depends on how strong your hair is, and whether you moisturize it. I was thinking about getting one of those too.

SohoHair

I usually wear a pinned up rollerset (I pin it up with just regular old bobby pins) or when i had side bangs I would wear those out withe the resent pinned up. I got a lot of compliments on my bangs, which have since grown out, but I might cut them again whenever i decide to go back and see my stylist for the first time in almost three months:lol: . I do like the look of pinned up rollersets a lot, i think my hair looks so nice when it's swirly and curly shiny, but still up and safe from my clothes!