Protective Styles for Naturals

Super_Hero_Girl

Hi Everyone,
This message is for naturals with short hair. My hair is almost shoulder length when stretched and when it's not I suffer from a lot of shrinkage and it is like a curly curly curly afro. I want to wear protective styles so that I can test out the vasoline and see what happens, but I need some ideas! Sorry if this has been posted before, but I did do a search first and got nothing. Does anyone have any ideas for protective styles for short natural hair? Please help and Thanks in advance ladies!

mslionheart

Have you tried twists? I wear my hair in 10 big twists, each about the size of a fat magic marker if not bigger. I wear them for about about a week, then wash. During the week I don't do anything to them besides spritz with distilled water. My hair is 14 inches but I think this would work at any length, although you might want to do more twists if your hair is shorter. Such big twists might sound like an odd look to some people, but I'll tell you that I get compliments on my hair all the time. I bet it would look great on you.

TinyT

Well my hair is in twists, but I have done many small ones. My hair shrinks up to a little past my hair line in the back, and looks great when I do small ones. Initially it takes about 3 hours to do. I usually just watch tv and do them. I use either CDHHB or Kemi oyl shea butter pomade ( I like this the best). Then i wrap with a scarf at night, and when I am in the shower in the morning I let them get wet under the shower head. This helps them to curl up and helps the leave-in to penetrate. Then I spritz with a homemade leavin, and add a pretty clip in the front. This can last for a week or more. If I do the fat twists that is just for bedtime during a week when I wear my hair in a fro or curly puff.

Ipanema

Have you tried french braids or cornrows? Maybe you can do flat-twists that go back (or up) into a bun. If your bun is not full, you can wear a fake bun or fake ponytail.

Karonica

I listed these in another thread yesterday. All of these can be done on natural hair, i believe. I saw a natural get a beautiful flexi-set last week.

1. bun
2. curly pinup
3. french roll
4. cornrows
5. braids
6. flexi-rod set (because no combing is involved and can last for days)
7. phonypony
8. twist-out (because no combing is involved and can last for days)
9. strawset (because no combing is involved and can last for days)
10. flat-twists
11. gel/comb twists
12. twists
13. any kind of pin-up that isn't done tight
14. bantu-knots
15. weave (done properly)
16. wig
17. instant weave
18. headwraps
19. silk/satin scarves
20. braid-out

pookeylou

[ QUOTE ]
Karonica said:
I listed these in another thread yesterday. All of these can be done on natural hair, i believe. I saw a natural get a beautiful flexi-set last week.

1. bun
2. curly pinup
3. french roll
4. cornrows
5. braids
6. flexi-rod set (because no combing is involved and can last for days)
7. phonypony
8. twist-out (because no combing is involved and can last for days)
9. strawset (because no combing is involved and can last for days)
10. flat-twists
11. gel/comb twists
12. twists
13. any kind of pin-up that isn't done tight
14. bantu-knots
15. weave (done properly)
16. wig
17. instant weave
18. headwraps
19. silk/satin scarves
20. braid-out

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow...great list of suggestions...

I also reccomend the following book:

Natural Woman/Natural Hair by T'Keyah Crystal Keymah (she is on the COSBY show...as his daughter) she has a BEAUTIFUL book of styles and step by step instructions on how to do each of them...the majority are protective hairstyles.

You can order it through her website...she will even autograph it for you: www.tkeyah.com

gn1g

I am interested in the French Roll, Do you press it before you get the french roll?

ricochet

[ QUOTE ]
Jessy55 said:
Nothing beats twists for protective styles, whether your hair is short or long.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto!