Protective Styles for SHORT HAIR...

sky_blu

Does any know and have examples of protective styles for short hair?? Ive seen the bun but my hair is too short to even go into a ponytail w/o gel, too short for the roll, and braids are not an option because they take my edges out in the front. Right now my hair is almost shoulder length but not quite there so I just wear it down, down, and down lol.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I have short hair and I'm thinking about just wearing a satin or silk scarf over my hair to protect it. I've been wondering if this is a good idea because I never hear of anyone doing this.

Ashee

Isn't the point of protective styles to keep the ends from getting damaged? If the ends isn't in constant manipulation I think you're in a good position. At night, that's where I would recommend a satin/silk scarf to sleep in. Tie your head at night after moisturizing & it should be fine.
-HTH :look:

sky_blu

Poohbear said:
I have short hair and I'm thinking about just wearing a satin or silk scarf over my hair to protect it. I've been wondering if this is a good idea because I never hear of anyone doing this.

Are you talking about wearing it all day?? Ive noticed that since Ive been wearing my bandana for workouts, along with wearing my hats on bad hair days (which was most of the time) my hair started thinning in the front badly. Which Im assuming was from not letting it breathe so I dont know if wearing it all day would be more harmful than helpful.

confused_one

i agree with Ashee, i thought the point of protective styles were to keep your hair from brushing up agains your clothes, so if it isn't snagging on your clothing i think your hair should be fine. Just make sure to tie it up at nights to sleep.

hopeful

sky_blu said:
Are you talking about wearing it all day?? Ive noticed that since Ive been wearing my bandana for workouts, along with wearing my hats on bad hair days (which was most of the time) my hair started thinning in the front badly. Which Im assuming was from not letting it breathe so I dont know if wearing it all day would be more harmful than helpful.

Most bandanas are cotton. I think a silk scarf will be helpful so long as it is not tied to tight. I've personally never had a problem with a silk scarf causing damage.

sky_blu

Ok thanks. Thats what I was read somewhere on this board so I just thought it was just bad to wear your hair down period lol if you were trying to grow it. My bad. I just hate having it rub against my neck right about now since Ive had it cut short for the past two years due to breakage and heat (Im from FL) but this is my first time taking an active interest in growing it.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
sky_blu said:
I'm talking about wearing a silk or satin scarf around my hair everyday until I'm comfortable with the length of my hair to wear my hair out. (I just did the BC leaving me with 3 inches of natural hair but now I have heat damage and may cut it even shorter or grow it out and cut it off later).

Last edited:

Ms Red

I'm late but, I am in the same situation. I got my hair cut last week and now it is too short to go into a ponytail and too short for a roll. What I am doing it this:

WEARING IT DOWN!!! And wrapping it with a silk scarf at night after moisturizing my ends. That's about it. I figure I'll just have to wait for some growth before I'll need the protective styles that help retain length. My first challenge will be the bun. :yep: