Protective styles, low manipulation and product?

tmichelle

Anyone have any good tips for me? I have been doing protective styling combined with low manipulation. I am in a quandry as to how I should put product in my hair on a regular basis since I don't touch my hair for days at a time.

Do some people who do low manipulation only do it for a few weeks at a time? Or do they just not put product in their hair?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

guesswho

even if you do low manipulation u still have to add alot of moisture to your hair and keep your ends protected, I use mango butter or shea butter or carrot oil to moisturize my hair and I seal with castor oil or wgo, I always wear my hair in a phony pony and protect my ends, when I get home I take down my phony pony and massage my hair with oils and baggy for the night I finger comb and repeat the process next day, it's low manipulation and it's working great for me, HTH:)

LovelyLionessa

I always moisturize and seal my ends before I bun. It helps keep the hair conditioned. I like Aveda USC sealed w/a little Weleda Rosemary oil or Kemi Oyl.

JustKiya

I am a low manipulation, protective styler - I comb my hair once a week. What I do during the week, is use a mister - it has some conditioner, some oil, some glycerine, some water, and a little teatree oil. I soak my hair well at night, and baggy it, then give it another light misting in the morning, and roll with that all day. My hair hasn't complained, and seems to be thriving - I've noticed that my breakage has reduced a LOT since I started doing this.

tmichelle

guesswho said:
even if you do low manipulation u still have to add alot of moisture to your hair and keep your ends protected, I use mango butter or shea butter or carrot oil to moisturize my hair and I seal with castor oil or wgo, I always wear my hair in a phony pony and protect my ends, when I get home I take down my phony pony and massage my hair with oils and baggy for the night I finger comb and repeat the process next day, it's low manipulation and it's working great for me, HTH:)

Yes, that helps a lot. Thanks :) I think I was going too low manipulation. I'll try your suggestion.

tmichelle

nappywomyn said:
I am a low manipulation, protective styler - I comb my hair once a week. What I do during the week, is use a mister - it has some conditioner, some oil, some glycerine, some water, and a little teatree oil. I soak my hair well at night, and baggy it, then give it another light misting in the morning, and roll with that all day. My hair hasn't complained, and seems to be thriving - I've noticed that my breakage has reduced a LOT since I started doing this.

Good idea also. With that I wouldn't even have to touch my hair (I think I've gotten a bit lazy with this low manipulation).

tmichelle

Priestess said:
I always moisturize and seal my ends before I bun. It helps keep the hair conditioned. I like Aveda USC sealed w/a little Weleda Rosemary oil or Kemi Oyl.

That sounds easy.

Thanks for the great ideas ladies! Now I can have the best of both worlds:p

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Off topic but...
guesswho said:
Guesswho, I just checked out your album for the first time and your natural hair is BEAUTIFUL! I never seen you before! I'm glad I came across your album! :)

guesswho

Poohbear said:
Off topic but...

Guesswho, I just checked out your album for the first time and your natural hair is BEAUTIFUL! I never seen you before! I'm glad I came across your album! :)

Thankyou so much I love your hair also, I've been peeping on lhcf for a long time I learned a lot here I recently started to post lol,