Protective Styles Other Than Buns

Diamonds415

Hello Ladies,

This is my first time ever posting and I apologize if someone has already asked this but I couldn't find it in the search.

I have just-past-shoulder length hair and I want to get to BSL...badly

I THINK I have 3c/4a type hair...natural texture is more wavy than kinky/curly
I have a relaxer and highlights (I'm DCing like a fiend)

I was wondering if there are any protective styles OTHER than buns. I am a young woman and I like to be stylish and snazzy sometimes. Does anyone know of some cute or inventive updo's. Don't get me wrong I love buns and you can dress them up or down, but they tend to get a little boring when they are the only option. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Diamonds415

Isis

Welcome! :wave:

I didn't know any styles when I first came to LHCF. Now I have enough to rotate and I never get bored.:) All of the styles I've learned do not need combing--I learned to comb only on wet hair on wash day, otherwise I use my hands to smooth and my fingers.

A French Twist (also called French Roll) is a very good protective style and can be dressed up or down, casual or elegant. Even when it's messy it looks good. :yep:

Braidouts are protective in the sense that it holds moisture in and it doesn't need combing. I've grown out my hair starting with buns & French Twists, then with braidouts.

brickhouse

Welcome :newbie:. You can do a search and find all kinds of protective styles. When I first joined I used wigs or falls which is like a 3/4 wigs and my hair went from a couple inches passed my shoulders to brastrap. It took me longer because of my health problems and poor eating habits. I am surprised it grew at all:lol: . I just don't know how to do a bun and I feel my face it to big to do a bun. I forgot I used the phony ponies for a while and kept my ends in a baggy and my hair really grew. Check out adrienne0914 album.

The Girl

brickhouse said:
Welcome :newbie:. You can do a search and find all kinds of protective styles. When I first joined I used wigs or falls which is like a 3/4 wigs and my hair went from a couple inches passed my shoulders to brastrap. It took me longer because of my health problems and poor eating habits. I am surprised it grew at all:lol: . I just don't know how to do a bun and I feel my face it to big to do a bun. I forgot I used the phony ponies for a while and kept my ends in a baggy and my hair really grew. Check out adrienne0914 album.

That's what I use sometimes.

Maa Maa omo mti

It was hard finding a protective style for me that I can work with. Buns weren't really that interesting after a while, plus i get paranoid after a while that my hair will come out. I don't do braids and haven't for going on 5 yrs or so now. I didn't want to go out and buy any other product since I have lf that I'm waiting to use. So I have decided to take on serenitybreeze's style and I'm loving it. check out the siggy and her fotki.