Protective Styles Preventing Me From Really Knowing My Hair. No Protective Styles In 2017...

Gr8ness83

So I am creating a goal for myself; absolutely no extensions, weaves, braids, additions of any kind for 2017. I am a Federal Police Officer and the grooming standards and regulations are very similar to military grooming standards and regulations. I started this job in June 2012 when my hair was shedding and thinning like crazy because of birth control. I did not see any growth progress until around March 2013, and shortly after I went to Reneice for a sew-in. She cut my hair above my shoulders for a fresh start. The sew-in was beautiful, I left it in for the recommended amount of time but between training, my job, school, home life, I was not able to get back in to see her. As I mentioned before, the regulations for hair is similar to the military's so I have to always keep it pulled back in a bun or something. I kept my natural hair out while I was off work but since I have to wear a hat for work, I would have to brush it back into a ponytail. This led to major damage in the back because I would add a phony-pony or wrap curly weave around it and secure it with bobby pins. OMG! I am not sure how some of you have the success that you do with the phony-ponies because they broke my hair off in the back of my hair and I had no idea until I was rubbing my hands through my hair one day and realized that the sides by my ears were soo much longer, my nape and the area right above it were maybe 2-3 inches stretched while the sides were about 10, the front was about 3-5 inches depending on the area and I had a bald spot from where I ripped out some hair when I sewed in a track too tight. I took a good look at my hair and the damage that I was doing to it (including heat damage from blending my hair into the weave). I cut off the heat damaged portions which left me with the oddest hair shape, especially when it was curly. I decided that, since I have to wear my hair pulled back in a bun, I should just put in box braids so the pins and phony-ponies will not damage the back of my hair anymore. I installed them myself and left them in for several months, redoing them as needed and it worked, I grew several inches. I took them out for a couple of weeks then did it again; I got great growth yet again. Over the next ear and a half, I rotated between box braids, my natural hair, faux locs, twists, I did them all myself. Last year, after I bought my house, I decided to reward myself by getting Senegalese twists done "professionally" but the braider cut so much of my hair off (cutting up the shaft to cut off the fly-aways) that I lost about 2-5" depending on the location. I didn't know the extent of the damage until I took them out about 30 days later. I installed faux locs on July 23rd, 2015 and left them in until around Feb-March of this year. I gained a little over 4" average in length and my hair was much, much thicker than it had been since 2009. I just installed faux goddess locs on April 14, 2016 and I plan on leaving them in until December. I hope that within those 7 months, I gain no less than 5 inches. I finish my last classes for my degree in the Fall and I am hoping to be out of uniform to where I have more liberty and freedom with my hair so I can wear wash n go's, braid outs, twist outs and such. I have used protective styles for so long that I am missing out on seeing my hair transform during the growth process and really getting to know my hair and take care of it. In a way, I feel like I am hiding behind the protective styles, even though I LOVE my hair. The only caveat to this would be that if I am still in uniform in the beginning of 2017, the only protective style that I will concede to using is crochet braid styles, only because I do not want to break off all the growth that I retained for the sake of pulling my hair back in a bun. I guess the fact that I do not want to use any extensions next year will motivate me even more to find employment out of uniform. I know this post got a little long, it kind of got away from me, but I felt the need to provide background for my thinking. Is anyone else in a similar predicament?

faithVA

It can be good to move away from complete use of extensions but have some type of protective style in your repertoire unless wngs work well for you. You will need some break from wearing your hair out so much or you will just end up where you started.

I don't know much about your hair so it's just a suggestion.

beingofserenity

I am actually trying to do something similar to you with keeping in long term protective styles for months at a time redoing parts where needed....

I am hoping to do this until my hair grows enough to comfortably make a low bun. Then I will alternate between having it out for a few weeks and wearing extensions.

prettykinks

I cut my relaxer off and went natural when I was in the Army. I started off with about 2-3ins of hair. I wore braids and cornrows with extensions that I did myself, to ensure they weren't tight and done correctly. Once it grew to about 4-5 inches I would put my own hair in twists and small plaits(like micro) and wear that under my headgear. It was short so it always ended up looking like a short bob. Once it grew longer I would put the twists and plaits in a loose ponytail with bobby pins. Currently' I use box braids, crochet braids twists and use my own hair most of the time.

Attachments

• S3600105.JPG
    S3600105.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 85
  • S3600216.JPG
    S3600216.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 84
  • S3600367.JPG
    S3600367.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 83

Misseyl

Protective styles are good when worn in moderation. A few years ago, I wore box braids for 2 1/2 years by redoing them every 6 to 8 weeks, after that I promised myself that I will never wear box braids again. By wearing braids, you don't get to learn how to take care of your hair, what products work and how to wash/detangle and handle your hair.:afro:

Gr8ness83

I am actually trying to do something similar to you with keeping in long term protective styles for months at a time redoing parts where needed....

I am hoping to do this until my hair grows enough to comfortably make a low bun. Then I will alternate between having it out for a few weeks and wearing extensions.

Well I hope I don't dissuade or deter you, I had excellent growth and retention by doing this method! That was the same reason I did it, to "hide" and protect my hair while it grew out. I took out the perimeter every 4-6 weeks or as needed and I would oil, massage and wash my hair on a regular basis since I was working out s lot. Sometimes j would redo my temples more frequently since I had to always had tension on them. I even used an MTG solution, deep conditioning and all. I would use a clarifying shampoo as needed. My edges are thriving and awesome so I just need to come out from under these protective styles. I wish you much success!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    107.5 KB · Views: 82

GGsKin

The only protective styles I can keep in my hair nowadays are crochet braids.

I tend to feel nowadays as I want to only wear my hair. The bad, the ugly, the dry... its mine.

I feel as you do @shawnyblazes.

I loved my crochet braids, twists and box braids (all styles that I wore as I transitioned). They looked great and saved me from a multitude of hair sins (regular heat abuse being the main one) but once my damage started showing signs of recovery, all I wanted to do was play in, nurture, play some more, expose, discover and learn my hair.

I have no (current) desire to hide my hair at all- not even in a bun:look:. I'm hoping it won't be to my hair's detriment.

girlonfire

I have fine low porosity hair, now I'm waist length. Back in the day when I was apl I wore buns, like a lot. I've never done any of the extension braid/twist styles. I used coconut oil and palmers hair dress to moisturize most time. I was not a big proponent of deep conditioning but I am more so now a days.

Before all that I did one thing to get to know my hair. I waked my hair with dish soap. Just once. I wanted to see what my hair is like in it's worst state, so that's one thing I'd say is a good idea to get to know your hair. Also once I learned I'm low porosity it was a game changer. No I know I need heat to moisturize my hair otherwise all effort is for nothing.

nothidden

TeamNatural95-Fractals/Zigzags
I am the direct opposite. I have been getting to know my natural hair since 4/2014 and I'm looking forward to protective styling beginning next Saturday. My plan is to wear goddess braids for a few weeks, give my strands a break, then go right back to goddess braids...at least thru the summer but would love to do this thru next winter.

I'm sooooo looking forward to the break and won't miss not one wash day...well not one that involves a wash and go.

Aggie

Too difficult to read without paragraphs so forgive me OP but I only read the first few lines. I love PSing my hair using wigs 90% of the time and alternate with bunning and have been doing this for the past 2 years. I was at 2-3 inches then and now I'm at just below APL.

I have continued access to my hair because I wear my hair in big plaits under my wig, DC almost weekly, moisturize regularly, and wear my hair out whenever I wish without feeling impeded. It's very easy for me this way and it certainly has been working well for me.

I have a great knowledge of what my hair likes and doesn't like because I don't put my hair in protective styles that leaves me with no access to all of it for any long length of time anymore. I used to, but I don't anymore because of the very reason you suggested in your original post.

naturalmanenyc

I am the direct opposite. I have been getting to know my natural hair since 4/2014 and I'm looking forward to protective styling beginning next Saturday. My plan is to wear goddess braids for a few weeks, give my strands a break, then go right back to goddess braids...at least thru the summer but would love to do this thru next winter.

I'm sooooo looking forward to the break and won't miss not one wash day...well not one that involves a wash and go.

I've been in crochet braids off and on for a year but am not doing them for the summer.
I may try something like this in the fall:

Gr8ness83

Too difficult to read without paragraphs so forgive me OP but I only read the first few lines. I love PSing my hair using wigs 90% of the time and alternate with bunning and have been doing this for the past 2 years. I was at 2-3 inches then and now I'm at just below APL.

I have continued access to my hair because I wear my hair in big plaits under my wig, DC almost weekly, moisturize regularly, and wear my hair out whenever I wish without feeling impeded. It's very easy for me this way and it certainly has been working well for me.

I have a great knowledge of what my hair likes and doesn't like because I don't put my hair in protective styles that leaves me with no access to all of it for any long length of time anymore. I used to, but I don't anymore because of the very reason you suggested in your original post.

I used to wear half wigs and wigs and did exactly as you do, I would actually put a shower cap over my braids and then put my wig on so I could green house during the day. My hair thrived so much but I can't nor would I feel comfortable wearing wigs while having to wear a hat and taking it off and on. I used to weary hair out all the time, I have been natural since 2006, before actually, I kept micros in my hair in HD and was stupid and relaxed my hair for about a year shortly after I got to my first duty station in 2003. I've had good years and bad but this last set back set me WAAAAAAAAAY back and I've been relying on braids and PS ever since.

alex114

What I usually do is wear a protective style for 4-6 weeks, then take it out and wear my natural hair for 1-3 weeks. That has allowed my hair to thrive and I can gauge the condition of my hair while it's out.

And then depending on whether I need it to be out longer to DC 1-3 times a week (rare) I might leave it out for up to three weeks, but I usually don't leave it out for more than a week.

I also have dedicated regimens for when my hair is straight, kinky and in a PS. That makes it easier to give my hair what it needs all year round,

When my hair is kinky I can DC as much as I like and used water based, creamy moisturizers and butters. I can also do protein treatments. (Apogee Two Step, etc, but since I use everyday products with protein I usually don't need something so strong) When my hair is straight, I use serums and oils to nourish my hair and keep it straight. When my hair is in a PS, I use scalp drops from alter ego, moisturizing sprays and I use oil mixes (Vatika, Castor, Olive, etc) to nourish my scalp and hair.

But yes my hair is in protective styles most of the time, but I'm still able to learn my hair. I would recommend that kind of schedule for you too. I think it's just about doing what your hair needs both IN and OUT of protective styles.

Happy Hair Growing! @Gr8ness83

alex114

I used to wear half wigs and wigs and did exactly as you do, I would actually put a shower cap over my braids and then put my wig on so I could green house during the day. My hair thrived so much but I can't nor would I feel comfortable wearing wigs while having to wear a hat and taking it off and on. I used to weary hair out all the time, I have been natural since 2006, before actually, I kept micros in my hair in HD and was stupid and relaxed my hair for about a year shortly after I got to my first duty station in 2003. I've had good years and bad but this last set back set me WAAAAAAAAAY back and I've been relying on braids and PS ever since.
Oh and my cure for that would be sewing down wigs. It's wayyyyyyy cheaper than a weave, and you can leave it in for a month or 6 weeks with no problem, and it looks just like a weave with a closure or frontal. I'm talking about full lace or human lace front wigs.

I know some Youtubers who sew down their own wigs in like 5 minutes, just doing the perimeter.

nothidden

What I usually do is wear a protective style for 4-6 weeks, then take it out and wear my natural hair for 1-3 weeks. That has allowed my hair to thrive and I can gauge the condition of my hair while it's out.

And then depending on whether I need it to be out longer to DC 1-3 times a week (rare) I might leave it out for up to three weeks, but I usually don't leave it out for more than a week.
This is what I plan to do thru the Summer (and hopefully Winter) with goddess (or some other) braids. A week's rest in between styles will hep me assess my hair, allow a protein treatment, and let me get back in touch w/my natural curls.

alex114

Where do you live? @nothidden
Summers in NYC are sooooo hot and comparatively dry -_-
I much prefer high humidity because my hair lovesssss it. It keeps my hair nice and moist. I barely have to do any work to keep it moisturized and balanced protein-wise.

nothidden

Where do you live? @nothidden
Summers in NYC are sooooo hot and comparatively dry -_-
I much prefer high humidity because my hair lovesssss it. It keeps my hair nice and moist. I barely have to do any work to keep it moisturized and balanced protein-wise.
Outside of Philly where it tends to be quite humid. This coupled w/hitting the gym regularly will make for a very long summer maintenance-wise. Also I'm in the mood to do as little to my hair as possible, and I love neat cornrows.

Gr8ness83

I also have dedicated regimens for when my hair is straight, kinky and in a PS. That makes it easier to give my hair what it needs all year round,

When my hair is kinky I can DC as much as I like and used water based, creamy moisturizers and butters. I can also do protein treatments. (Apogee Two Step, etc, but since I use everyday products with protein I usually don't need something so strong) When my hair is straight, I use serums and oils to nourish my hair and keep it straight. When my hair is in a PS, I use scalp drops from alter ego, moisturizing sprays and I use oil mixes (Vatika, Castor, Olive, etc) to nourish my scalp and hair.

But yes my hair is in protective styles most of the time, but I'm still able to learn my hair. I would recommend that kind of schedule for you too. I think it's just about doing what your hair needs both IN and OUT of protective styles.

Happy Hair Growing! @Gr8ness83

Awesome suggestions. That sounds like something I could do once I get out of uniform. I LOVE Apoghee protein treatments! I also use Mega Tek, JBCO, and other oils and conditioners that I usually make myself. I've tried batiks but it is soooo oily that I haven't really found a way that I want to use it. I haven't straightened my hair in years and I blow dried my hair for the first time since 2012 in April. I have been natural 98% of the time since I was 16 (I'm 32 now). I didn't really start my natural hair journey until I was about 23-24. I know my hair but I'm the past few years, I've been keeping it in protective styles. Since I work very long hours and have restrictions on wearing my hair out, I can't leave it out for weeks or it will start breaking off. . It is a shame because I love my hair and love showing it off but I can't. I see some women with natural hair and im so envious that they can wear their natural hair out and do all this stuff and I can't do a doggone thing with mine. I plan on going to a government job fair on July 21st so, hopefully and God willing, I will be able to make a good impression and get out of uniform.

Gr8ness83

Oh and my cure for that would be sewing down wigs. It's wayyyyyyy cheaper than a weave, and you can leave it in for a month or 6 weeks with no problem, and it looks just like a weave with a closure or frontal. I'm talking about full lace or human lace front wigs.

I know some Youtubers who sew down their own wigs in like 5 minutes, just doing the perimeter.

Oh yes! I've done this before! Currently, I prefer not to do this though because the type of weave I need to make a wig like this costs a list of money since I don't use straight hair

alex114

Oh yes! I've done this before! Currently, I prefer not to do this though because the type of weave I need to make a wig like this costs a list of money since I don't use straight hair
No, I meant literally buying a wig from somewhere like Pink, RPG Show or AliExpress and then just doing a couple of stitches around the front (right behind the lace) to secure it.

Gr8ness83

@Gr8ness83 have you tried not doing long term protective styling and just wearing your own hair in styles that your hair can handle and work appropriate?

My hair is at a length that is too long to wear out so I have to pull it back. Cornrows don't flatter me at all and there is not much else I can do. I think the longest I've had my hair out since 2012 is maybe 4-6 weeks. I have to wear a hat when I work outside so my hair gets a weird hat indentation when I do wear it. I'll just continue my course and use my irritation as ammunition to get my rear in gear and get out of uniform. Lol

Gr8ness83

No, I meant literally buying a wig from somewhere like Pink, RPG Show or AliExpress and then just doing a couple of stitches around the front (right behind the lace) to secure it.
I know what you meant. I make my own, I've tried buying a couple before and I was too disappointed with the results, after all the adjustments, cutting, hair creams and attempt at manipulating it into looking good, it was a complete waste of money. I only purchased ones that I saw from YouTube videos too, idk what hair THEY had but it wasn't why o got. Maybe j was just unlucky. I made some in the past and they were beautiful. People thought it was my real hair and it was so light and easy to maintain.

Gr8ness83

Plus, even when I do it myself, my hair is so fine that it does not cover the lace in a way that the lace can't be seen. If I wanted the lace to be completely covered, if have to leave about 1.5"-2" out in the front and sides.

alex114

Plus, even when I do it myself, my hair is so fine that it does not cover the lace in a way that the lace can't be seen. If I wanted the lace to be completely covered, if have to leave about 1.5"-2" out in the front and sides.

Oh, I see-- you should follow @virginhairfantasy on Instagram-- her wigs have some of the best, most realistic frontals I've ever seen. And they don't even require glue or tape! Also, when one of my wigs is annoying me, I usually just take it to a salon so they can cut/style it for me.

Also-- are you leaving out too much lace when you cut that lace off? The lace shouldn't be visible at all. And I would imagine buying the bundles to make your own wig can actually end up being more expensive than some of the wigs off of the sites I mentioned. Of course, if you're used to custom made wigs, it would be hard to go back to ready made ones lol

Yeah, I can see how your job could be stifling your personal goals and creativity as relates to self-expression. I hope this all works out for you!

Gr8ness83

@Gr8ness83 have you tried not doing long term protective styling and just wearing your own hair in styles that your hair can handle and work appropriate?

Also j think that because I gained a little weight, the styles that I used to do in the military are not very flattering anymore. I am working on losing weigh, I am not real big or anything, just bigger than I am used to being. I think losing 30lbs will make me feel more comfortable in wearing my hair in the styles that I used to wear.