Protective Styles Without Rubberbands

B

ballet_bun

Can anyone share with me some of the protective styles they use, that don't involve rubberbands ... please. I'm trying to avoid any damaging accessories. Thanks!

Ballet Bun ...

Crysdon

French roll, braidout/twistout and a "messy" bun.

You can also try Hype Hair's damageless hairbands. They're made out of satin and have no seams.

Isis

I love wearing my French Roll (Twist). No rubberbands and just 2 Good Days hair pins do the trick for me. It's a quick style (takes me a only minute or two to do) and its so cute. I get compliments and turn heads a lot when I wear this protective style. Even if it's not perfect looking, it still looks good.

As I mentioned in another post, for people with shorter hair, this style makes your hair look longer and fuller, like you have a lot more hair rolled up in there. For those like you Ballet_Bun whose hair is very long, this style looks so beautiful and even fuller.

Isis

Where can I buy the Hype Hair Bands?

The ouchless ones I have do have a seam and it sometimes catches my hair.

Someone posted somewhere about cutting a pantyhose leg horizontally near the ankle and toe part to make a ring and using that to make ponytails. I tried that and it was ok.

Crysdon

I get mine from Walgreens or Walmart.

I take that back, it does have a very small seam, it's the metal band that isn't on it. I've never had a problem with the seam catching my hair though.

Isis

Thank you Crysdon. I just might check that out tomorrow. I too want the safest tools and accessories in my hair.

goldilocks20

You can try using a hair clip that's big enough to contain all of your hair and make sure the ends are neatly tucked inside.

soslychic

[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:
I love wearing my French Roll (Twist). No rubberbands and just 2 Good Days hair pins do the trick for me. It's a quick style (takes me a only minute or two to do) and its so cute. I get compliments and turn heads a lot when I wear this protective style. Even if it's not perfect looking, it still looks good.

As I mentioned in another post, for people with shorter hair, this style makes your hair look longer and fuller, like you have a lot more hair rolled up in there. For those like you Ballet_Bun whose hair is very long, this style looks so beautiful and even fuller.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you share with me how to do a french twist/roll? I am totally clueless. I don't even know what it looks like. My hair my be too short to do it to (back is shoulder length and gradually tapers as goes to front)

Isis

Soslychic -

After moisturizing my ends, I fingercomb my hair on each side of my head towards the back, making it as smooth as possible. I don't yet have a rat tail comb (or a brush) for any smoothing but so far so good.

I then pull up all of my hair like I'm going to make a high ponytail.

Then with one hand I "roll" or scrunch my hair into itself sideways, starting with the top part, towards the right (can be either side) and while holding the roll, I insert a Good Days hair pin vertically, inside of it from the top. The roll is a vertical roll in the back of your head.

Then I do the same with the lower part of my hair, using another hair pin or two (or how many you want to use). The result should look like one smooth vertical roll up and down the back of your head. You shouldn't be able to see the hair pins - they should be inside of the roll. I'll see if I can find a pic of it.

After doing it a few times (never did it before I joined this board), I can now do it without looking in a mirror.

The ends will look wierd (all curled up) when you take it down, but I am assured by others on this board that no harm is done to the ends and you can grow your hair very long this way.

I hope this helps.