Protective styles

PrettyinPink001

Are protective styles crucial? My hair grows really slow but I love to wear it down. Is protective styles a method I must take on to speed up my growth? 

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
There are different schools of thought on it. Some who follow Wanakee's method, protective style all the time while others who follow Cathy Howse's method generally do not. There are others who do a mix of each.

That being said, I personally don't protective style per se. I put my hair up at night and try to eliminate hair friction with down hair styles as much as possible. So my most "protective" style turns out to be simply wearing and embracing my naturally curly hair.

What you need to ask is:

- Can I avoid using (or severely reduce the amount of) heat to get my "down" hair style?

- Can I avoid hair friction if I wear my hair "down"?

- Am I able to retain my average growth when I wear my hair down? (In other words, can you still see your growth from month to month without having to continually cut your ends to maintain a "down" hair style?)

- Do I have to work extra hard to overcome any issues related to wearing my hair down?

If you can answer yes to all of those questions (or make some changes to be able to say yes), then you probably won't have a problem.

Last edited:

MsChelle

Protective styling is wonderful for retaining length. I don't think it speeds up your growth rate though.

Janet'

I agree with MsChelle...Unless you are taking something externally (like a Hair, Skin, Nail vitamin, etc.) I do not think that PS'ing will speed anything up. I can only speak for myself and say that utilizing low manipulation styles and protective styles have helped me retain length...I do not think that I could have wore my hair down consistently and retained as much as I have in such a small window as I have...

shasha8685

Protective styling won't speed up your growth but it will help you retain what you grow.

I think you have to figure out what works best for your hair. Personally, while I'm trying to meet my length goals, I can't wear my hair out all the time. The method I use to get my hair straight requires a lot of heat and I know my hair cannot be bombarded with heat all the time. I also look to protect the most fragile part of my hair (my ends) so I constantly look for ways to reduce friction.

But that's just for my hair.

I can understand that you like to wear your hair out but "if you keep doing what you been doing, you'll keep getting what you always got." Try to slowly incorporate protective styling into your regimen. For example, for 3 days out of the week, try to keep your hair in a bun or half wig it up or phony pony it or whatever your protective style of choice is. Then for the remaining 4 days, wear your hair out (try to use something that doesn't require a lot of heat like braid outs or bantu knot outs). You don't have to be hardcore with protective styling but I guarantee that if you incorporate it a few days out of the week, your hair will thank you for it.

FoxxyLocs

I agree that PSing won't speed up growth, but if you're already a slow grower you don't want any setbacks. I definitely think PSing will help you reach your goal faster. Just be careful that your style of choice isn't damaging your hairline and that you are continuing to take care of your hair as always.

Sent from my HTC Evo

PrettyinPink001

Thanks guys for the input. I think I retain my length, but I always see more growth when I weave my hair even if it was for 4 wks. I think I'll try to incorporate PS at least once or twice a wk.

PrettyinPink001

There are different schools of thought on it. Some who follow Wanakee's method, protective style all the time while others who follow Cathy Howse's method generally do not. There are others who do a mix of each.

That being said, I personally don't protective style per se. I put my hair up at night and try to eliminate hair friction with down hair styles as much as possible. So my most "protective" style turns out to be simply wearing and embracing my naturally curly hair.

What you need to ask is:

- Can I avoid using (or severely reduce the amount of) heat to get my "down" hair style?

- Can I avoid hair friction if I wear my hair "down"?

- Am I able to retain my average growth when I wear my hair down? (In other words, can you still see your growth from month to month without having to continually cut your ends to maintain a "down" hair style?)

- Do I have to work extra hard to overcome any issues related to wearing my hair down?

If you can answer yes to all of those questions (or make some changes to be able to say yes), then you probably won't have a problem.

What is Cathy Howse's method? I do wash and set my hair and blow dry my roots. I go to the domicans, I blow dry my roots because I hate how my roots look if they aren't. I do need to reduce the blow drying. I started to tell them medium heat. Any suggestions ?

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
What is Cathy Howse's method? I do wash and set my hair and blow dry my roots. I go to the domicans, I blow dry my roots because I hate how my roots look if they aren't. I do need to reduce the blow drying. I started to tell them medium heat. Any suggestions ?

Cathy Howse suggests using:
Shampoo 2X a week with a sulfate free poo

Two step conditioning: 1) protein conditioning with heat 2) moisture conditioning for at least 15 minutes.

Limiting heat use to no more than twice a month & blow drying on cool or medium.

Stretching relaxers (if you have one)

Here is a link to a thread for one of her challenges: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=480318&highlight=cathy+howse

Lots of information there.

Honestly, if you are wearing your hair straight, unless you can figure out a way to reduce direct heat (flat iron, pressing) by using other methods such as rollersetting, you run the risk of not retaining your growth.

Can you learn to wear your hair in other ways? I've never resorted to braids (I don't like them on me) and gave up on weaves (wore for 8+ years and damaged my hair along the way). Some posters here find it easiest to hide their hair under a straight wig or weave for growth retention.

I didn't address it earlier but there is a difference as other posters pointed out between growth retention and accelerating your growth. I wouldn't recommend spending the time and money on growth aids without being fully committed to preserving your growth retention, if you understand what I am saying.