Protein after a relaxer but before neutralizing?

taz007

Why do you apply the protein after a relaxer but before neutralizing? What does this do to the hair?

Taz

poookie

definitely stay away from any hardcore protein. if you apply aphogee, you're essentially restoring all the curls you just relaxed away.

lately for my touchups, i've been

- rinse out the relaxer thoroughly
- reply a reconstructor conditioner, like Joico KPak or Nexxus Keraphix, and leave it on for about 10 minutes
- rinse, then use neutralizing shampoo, later 1x
- rinse, than apply deeeeep conditioner, and sit under the dryer for 30 minutes

i do it! my hair comes out stronger when i apply a light to medium protein before neutralizing.

hope that helps! :)

PatTodd

Sistaslick is the queen of this. I will take the liberty of responding on her behalf.

This is an excerpt from an article she wrote:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/ar...safely_applying_chemical_relaxers.html?cat=69

STAGE 3: The Mid-Relaxer Conditioning Protein Step
Several relaxer formulations come with a mid-relaxer protein conditioning step that involves the application of a mild protein treatment between the relaxer rinsing and neutralizing stages of the chemical relaxer process. This five minute step is done essentially to restore protein stores lost or compromised during the relaxer application. The great thing about this mid-relaxer protein conditioning step is that it can be safely performed with any chemical relaxer brand that you like and with any mild protein conditioner that you like! The steps are simple. Thoroughly rinse the relaxer crème from your hair with warm water after processing. Apply your mild protein conditioning treatment to your hair for three to five minutes. Rinse thoroughly and proceed with the rest of your neutralizing procedure.

**Some people like to start washing out their relaxer 3-5 minutes earlier than normal to accommodate this step. This is optional. You can still safely fully process your hair with the relaxer for the normal, recommended time and incorporate this beneficial step.

The Benefits
The main benefit of this mid-relaxer protein procedure is the maximum penetration of the protein molecules deep into the hair shaft that it permits. As you have read, relaxers disturb and destroy the protein bonding structure of our hair. This is the same structure that is responsible for our hair's strength and elasticity. The point after the relaxer is rinsed, and right before the neutralizing phase is the most critical point in the relaxing process for the hair shaft. It is here that the hair cuticle is most open and receptive to treatments.
Yet another benefit of this mid-relaxer protein conditioning step is the increased body, strength, and volume it gives the hair following a chemical relaxer. The hair does not exhibit that limp, thin lifeless look that it typically has after a fresh relaxer. This mid protein step actually increases the body and thickness of the hair shaft!

Why this works
Because of the relaxer's high pH, the cuticle layer is the most open it will ever be. Introducing the protein at this phase allows for maximum protein penetration and replacement due to the extreme lifting of the cuticle layer following the relaxing process.

But Will the relaxer still continue to process my hair?
The relaxing process is a chemical reaction that is not compatible at low pHs. Relaxers work in the 10-14 pH range. It is the low pH of the neutralizer that stops the neutralizing process, nothing special. Any and all of the products you apply following the rinsing of the relaxer help to gradually bring the pH of your hair back down to its normal pH of about 4.5 to 5.5.

The water from the initial warm water rinsing of the relaxer has a neutral pH of around 7. The water's neutral pH helps bring the relaxer pH down a bit from its usual 10 to 14 pH range to a range of about 8 or 9 . The protein conditioner has a low, normalizing pH of 4 to 6 as well so it also brings your hair's pH down so that your hair isn't processing at full strength. The neutralizer finishes and seals the process. It typically bears the lowest pH of any product used during the relaxing process, so it helps bring down pH of the hair even more. This step is where the cuticles close back down the tightest. Doing the protein before this happens is the key, however, do not allow the protein treatment to linger on the hair longer than five to seven minutes. You still need to quickly move on to the rest of the neutralizing phase. This five minute protein step is optional, but it works!

Hope this helps!

chocolatethai

i thought this was a typo the first time i read it too:grin:, but then i learned that nuetralizing helps in sealing the cuticle after a relaxer so you shoud apply a protein reconstructor which neeeds to be inside the cuticle befor sealing the cuticle

doll-baby

Bumping ....

Is there a noticeable difference when you use protein before neutralizing, versus after ?

definitely stay away from any hardcore protein. if you apply aphogee, you're essentially restoring all the curls you just relaxed away.

lately for my touchups, i've been

- rinse out the relaxer thoroughly
- reply a reconstructor conditioner, like Joico KPak or Nexxus Keraphix, and leave it on for about 10 minutes
- rinse, then use neutralizing shampoo, later 1x
- rinse, than apply deeeeep conditioner, and sit under the dryer for 30 minutes

i do it! my hair comes out stronger when i apply a light to medium protein before neutralizing.

hope that helps! :)

You mean aphogee 2 step right! The 2 min is ok.

chrstndiva

Bumping ....

Is there a noticeable difference when you use protein before neutralizing, versus after ?

I have noticed that my hair has more volume and seems to be stronger.

I experienced severe breakage and loss of hair due to a hair catastrophe at a salon. I have incorporated this into my regimen and my hair is not nearly as "flat" as when the stylist used to do it and my "new hair" since then is much stronger then my "old hair".

Ladybelle

Thanks for this thread, I've been contemplating going back to relaxed hair and want to be fully equipped to maintain strong relaxed hair that doesn't break and shed- I think this step would be a wonderful addition!

Can anyone give any other examples of a protein treatment to use??

and, would it be the same affect to just buy some keratin protein or silk protein and add it to the relaxer itself???