Protein does increase the rate your hair grows

beawo

Since reading the post about jazzy..(can't remember the rest) growing her hair 2 inches a month, I have being really intrigued about this and have being surfing the web for evidence of protein really increasing the rate of at which hair grows. Well I also experienced my hair growing quiet rapidly (4 to 5 in about 5 months, I was surprised because my hair grows at an the average rate .5inches a month) and throught it was some hair product but then when I saw jazzy.. post I looked at my diet around that period and realised that during that time I was eating alot of protein based foods (drinking almond oil, wheatgerm oil, sardines, milk with wheatgerm and bee pollen and milo every morning, flaxseed oil, fish oil, lots of meat, yoghurt) every day.
This person on another website that I found during my search had the same results:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=15019&page=1
I am so determined to get to bra strap by april(when I relax) that I have started eating more protein again.

Isis

I noticed a very good point on the thread you posted that meat isn't the only or best way to get protein. I agree with that. There are so many wonderful sources of protein. Here on LHCF, the Egg Challenge is an example of a good protein source. I still eat at least one egg per day.

I also take spirulina, eat almonds and other nuts, almond cheese, lots of veggies, brown rice, tofu and other soy products - all have protein and can add up quickly. I haven't deliberately focused yet on increasing my protein though.

Last edited:

landakaye

Thanks for this info,beawo! I cant eat brown rice though. For some reason it is just not good to me,Isis.

Isis

landakaye said:
Thanks for this info,beawo! I cant eat brown rice though. For some reason it is just not good to me,Isis.
I understand, Landakaye. One doesn't have to eat brown rice, there are so many other good things to eat that's healthy and have even more protein.

hotshot

Isis said:
I understand, Landakaye. One doesn't have to eat brown rice, there are so many other good things to eat that's healthy and have even more protein.
quinoa, millet, red rice, wheatberries. . .

bajanplums1

Here1 here! I was relaxed on Feb. 8. Since then I have been taking my amino complex and eating tons of scallops (29g protein per serving) and shrimp (19g per serveing). I have also incorporated wheat germ & milk into my diet.

On Feb. 23, a bit over 1 week since my touch up, i had about 1/16 of growth. I stretch my relaxer out to 10 weeks, so I have high hopes and will be posting pics. It makes sense since hair is 90% protein right?

amy1234

I'm upping my protein intake to 30g a day by eating scrambled eggs in the morning (3 eggs) , a glass of milk and those cheese string snacks ! they are so good , there's 6g in each .

BAILEYSCREAM

Yes, protein does increase your growth rate.......when I took my HF37 vits with 6-9 of the amino acid tablets daily religiously many months ago I had crazy growth. I am talking an unusual amount of growth to what I normally get.

Anyway, now I have started to drink milk every single day with Nesquik banana flavour powder. It's an easy way to get protein since I simply have to drink it.

BLESSED1

Isis said:
I noticed a very good point on the thread you posted that meat isn't the only or best way to get protein. I agree with that. There are so many wonderful sources of protein. Here on LHCF, the Egg Challenge is an example of a good protein source. I still eat at least one egg per day....

lol, was that from a couple of years ago? I think I remember that I was still vegetarian back then, and a lurker, and y'all had me scarfing down omelets everyday :lol:

SouthernGirl

BAILEYSCREAM said:
Yes, protein does increase your growth rate.......when I took my HF37 vits with 6-9 of the amino acid tablets daily religiously many months ago I had crazy growth. I am talking an unusual amount of growth to what I normally get.

Anyway, now I have started to drink milk every single day with Nesquik banana flavour powder. It's an easy way to get protein since I simply have to drink it.

ITA Baileyscream,

I take HF37 and I eat lots of protein and I really do believe it's what makes my hair grow so fast. I've stopped Surging since Dreem's challenge and my hair is still growing at an amazing rate.

Glad it's working for you too Baileys!!

SG

EbonyEyes

When I was on my personal protein challenge, I didn't notice an increase in my growth rate. All I got was weight gain....

-Ebony

Mitre

Yes protein I know these children who parents feed them mostly protein. The parents cut they hair 1month ago. At which point I measured they hair .5 inches now a month and a half later it is 3.5 inches long. They father is from india and the mother is from holland. They go through .5 gallon a milk a day mainly protein for luinch and dinner.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
landakaye said:

I don't like just plain brown rice. When I cook it, I put butter in the pot of water that I cook it in. After it's done cooking, I put a lot of sugar on it. I know that may not be healthy but I have to have sugar with rice...even when I've eaten white rice. I love the buttery sugary taste! :lick:

mrslee

Love yourself first!
Poohbear said:
I don't like just plain brown rice. When I cook it, I put butter in the pot of water that I cook it in. After it's done cooking, I put a lot of sugar on it. I know that may not be healthy but I have to have sugar with rice...even when I've eaten white rice. I love the buttery sugary taste! :lick:

I eat my rice the same way Poohbear!! Along with some biscuits..... mmmmm..mmm!

beloved1

I've noticed the same thing with Protein. I've been on Atkins exactly one month (lost 10 lbs- yay!!!). I found Cathy Howse's board about a week later and started taking care of my hair. When I first measured, I was 16 inches from hairline to nape. When I measured after 3 weeks, I was 17 inches! That is crazy growth for me! Tonight my husband said, 'What have you been DOING?" Your hair is growing so fast. Well, I hope it keeps it up. I have to take some progress pictures.

senimoni

Poohbear said:

I usually put vegetable broth in mine. I also like it undercooked....before the germ breaks, I can't stand the mush.

RushGirl

#1 PARTY GIRL
Poohbear said:

OMG I LOVE my rice this way too!! My son thinks I'm :nuts: :lol:

Isis

BLESSED1 said:
lol, was that from a couple of years ago? I think I remember that I was still vegetarian back then, and a lurker, and y'all had me scarfing down omelets everyday :lol:
So how did those omelets work for you?:)

Isis

Poohbear said:
I've eaten brown rice as a cereal before also (with honey) and it is delicious that way. :yep:
These days I love it with soy sauce or tamari or with something Teriyaki. :lick:

hotshot

Isis said:
I've eaten brown rice as a cereal before also (with honey) and it is delicious that way. :yep:
These days I love it with soy sauce or tamari or with something Teriyaki. :lick:
how do you eat it as a cereal? i make my own granola and im interested in adding stuff.

Armyqt

I recently started drinking egg protein everyday to boost hair growth. I did this for two weeks and had to stop as I noticed I gained 5 lbs :eek: . I really wish there was a way to get more protein and not gain weight. :ohwell:

Armyqt

Koffie said:
were did you get the egg protein from Armyqt? Also, what kind was it? How much did you drink too? TIA

I can't remember the brand @ the moment and I'm under the dryer right now (haha). I got it from the Vitaminshoppe. The label is blue and white. For the first week I was only doing one serving which was 24 grams of protein along with soy milk which was 6 grams of protein. For a grand total of 30 xtra grams just like that. The taste was good and it was easy to mix so so I got greedy. The second week I upped it to 2 drinks to get 60 grams. After a few days I started to feel bulky and I got on the scale. I was like, Oh hell no!! So I stopped taking it.

I know it works becuase when I was drinking it, I could feeling my scalp moving as if the hair was growing. Once I lost these 10 lbs, I'll rty doing 1 shake a day and see how that pans out.

B

Bublnbrnsuga

beloved1 said:
I've noticed the same thing with Protein. I've been on Atkins exactly one month (lost 10 lbs- yay!!!). I found Cathy Howse's board about a week later and started taking care of my hair. When I first measured, I was 16 inches from hairline to nape. When I measured after 3 weeks, I was 17 inches! That is crazy growth for me! Tonight my husband said, 'What have you been DOING?" Your hair is growing so fast. Well, I hope it keeps it up. I have to take some progress pictures.

Yes,yes. Please take pics!!:clap:

RainbowCurls

I've got a feeling I don't get enough protein so am going to keep track. It seems like my hair has been growing quite slowly recently.
I found out that the RDA of protein is 0.8 g per kg body weight per day.

Isis

hotshot said:
how do you eat it as a cereal? i make my own granola and im interested in adding stuff.
I used to eat is as a cereal. Now I prefer to eat brown rice as a side dish and sometimes in my soups.

You can just cook the brown rice as usual and add what you want to it, raisins, honey, almonds, milk, cinnamon, other fruits. Like many other grains, rice is a cereal.

Isis

Armyqt said:
I can't remember the brand @ the moment and I'm under the dryer right now (haha). I got it from the Vitaminshoppe. The label is blue and white. For the first week I was only doing one serving which was 24 grams of protein along with soy milk which was 6 grams of protein. For a grand total of 30 xtra grams just like that. The taste was good and it was easy to mix so so I got greedy. The second week I upped it to 2 drinks to get 60 grams. After a few days I started to feel bulky and I got on the scale. I was like, Oh hell no!! So I stopped taking it.

I know it works becuase when I was drinking it, I could feeling my scalp moving as if the hair was growing. Once I lost these 10 lbs, I'll rty doing 1 shake a day and see how that pans out.
Armyqt, doesn't it depend on how one incorporates protein into the diet? I'm talking about the other kinds of food eaten along with the protein. I've learned that weight gain can happen when protein is eaten along with certain carbs, mainly because of digestive problems it creates. For example, meat and potatoes do not go together at the same meal. Meat and bread do not either.

I haven't tried this yet, but I've heard of others who successfully lost weight with whey protein:
http://www.nutricounter.com/articles/ara7.htm

beloved1

I think to lose weight with protein, you have to lower your carbs quite a bit- I eat very few and if I do it is wheat products, etc. I only eat about 25-30 grams at this point and I'm suppose to continue to add as I go along to my weight goal.