Protein does increase the rate your hair grows

Isis

beloved1 said:
I think to lose weight with protein, you have to lower your carbs quite a bit- I eat very few and if I do it is wheat products, etc. I only eat about 25-30 grams at this point and I'm suppose to continue to add as I go along to my weight goal.
I agree Beloved1, I'm sure that's why Atkins works for so many.

Proper food combining works also - I've been doing it for years. Don't have to even think about it now. It is almost like lowering carbs but knowing which carbs do not work at the same meal with proteins, even if the food is low in carbs. It allows for the better digestion of meals so we get all the benefits from what we are eating.

Armyqt

Isis said:
Armyqt, doesn't it depend on how one incorporates protein into the diet? I'm talking about the other kinds of food eaten along with the protein. I've learned that weight gain can happen when protein is eaten along with certain carbs, mainly because of digestive problems it creates. For example, meat and potatoes do not go together at the same meal. Meat and bread do not either.

I haven't tried this yet, but I've heard of others who successfully lost weight with whey protein:
http://www.nutricounter.com/articles/ara7.htm

Isis, I was drinking the shakes as berakfast along with some raw almonds. Could you please tell me more about food combining? Are there any websites or books that has good info? tia :)

Isis

Armyqt said:
Isis, I was drinking the shakes as berakfast along with some raw almonds. Could you please tell me more about food combining? Are there any websites or books that has good info? tia :)
Yes, I have a book called "Food Combining", a skinny book from the health food store. Edgar Cayce and Hannah Kroeger also wrote about it. I'll check my files to see if I saved their links... :fan:

Isis

Ok, here it is. This is the exact book I have. You may want to check out some of the reviews also as they are very informative:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0960694803/ref=pd_sl_aw_alx-jeb-6-1_book_2144879_1/102-9539751-7424101

I also read Fit For Life by Marilyn and Harvey Diamond which as been out for several years. It became a bestseller and it is based on Edgar Cayce's work with a focus on food combining as a lifestyle way of eating.

I also have a book by Marilyn Diamond called, A New Way of Eating which is an offshoot of Fit For Life but food combining primarily for vegetarian diets.
Here is one Edgar Cayce link:

http://www.cayce.egympie.com.au/diet.htm#FOOD COMBINATIONS

Boadicea

Definitely! When drinking protein shakes (90% Protein by Puritan's Pride) my hair went from 20 inches to 23 and 1/4 inches in just under 3 months. I was also eating at Wendy's every day after school. I would always get a Junior Bacon cheeseburger, a large chili (no cheese) and a small Frostee. Each of these have a lot of protein in them.The large chili alone had 25 grams of protein. Not the best diet, but I didn't suffer from it. I was getting about 40 grams of protein a day just at lunch alone plus I was drinking the protein shake.

BLESSED1

Isis said:
So how did those omelets work for you?:)

OMG, I can't even remember but I do know that I only stuck to it for like 3 weeks, I like literally couldn't eat eggs anymore it's like my body got sick of them :p But what I did notice shortly after ending my 13year run as a vegetarian is that I was getting tingling sensations in my scalp. And I got about .75 - 1inch. if newgrowth my first 2 months as a "new" meat eater. All this before I discovered surge and biotin too, so there may be some truth to this. And I know some people who kept mentioning that their hair grew like crazy while they were on the atkins diet. Just be careful everyone about your cholesterol level, especially those that eat a lot of eggs and seafood daily....

B

ballet_bun

Poohbear said:
I don't like just plain brown rice. When I cook it, I put butter in the pot of water that I cook it in. After it's done cooking, I put a lot of sugar on it. I know that may not be healthy but I have to have sugar with rice...even when I've eaten white rice. I love the buttery sugary taste! :lick:

Brown rice is really good if you add a "veggie" broth to the water, while cooking it. That's what I do, and then I add a little cayenne,tumeric, tamari and a tiny bit of oil and that's really good!:lick:

Also, some of you were discussing food combining. For me, it has worked quite well, and I have more energy longer, than if I improperly combine food. It becomes second nature and you don't think about it. You could also put a chart on your refridgerator until you get used to it and make a small copy to keep in your purse.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dolapo

So does white rice have protein? How bout blackeyed peas (beans) and potatoes. I make my own fries like everyday

senimoni

White rice has protein, but not alot at all. Beans have more, but I'm not so sure how much they have.

mahoganee

Hmm. maybe this is why my hair grows so fast. My braider always tells me that my hair grows like weeds. Here's a link that I found when I did a search for good sources of proteins.
www.weightlossforall.com/protein

Amarech

I never read the post but noticed the same thing personally. My hair grew!!! I had been eating eggs more. Not for any particular reason but because I had a taste for them. Actually more like a craving. anyhoo, I noticed that my nails started growing longer and stronger. then I read the thread about how the woman said that eggs make your hair grow. I was thinking "yeah right!"
But lo and behold....I know I trimmed my hair 3 weeks ago(about the time I started eating more eggs) and now I'm due for another one. I use my blunt bangs as a guide. I first cut them to right above my eyebrows. Two days ago when I really looked at them, they were back in my eyes again! And my nape hair was reaching for my shoulder again and I had just cut

I am a believer!!!! and looking back I didnt' only eat more eggs but more protein overall. I had tuna and beans and rice. Protein does grow your hair,in addition to all the other things you do to take care of it!

Isis

Champagne_Wishes said:
I need to increase my protein. Maybe I wouldn't feel so tired all the time.
Actually, if you feel tired all the time you may be low in iron.

Last edited:

LABETT

I am taking Viviscal which contains marine protein and my hair has had a growth sprurt plus I am eating 2 boiled eggs a day.

Nefertiti0906

Another source of protein are the energy bars. I usually eat about 2 a day (Balance Gold) and they come in different flavors, like chocolate mint cookie, cookie dough, etc... Plus they keep me energized through out the day and keep me from feeding on sweets

Isis

senimoni said:
Really maybe I should try that too. Why do people always encourage you to get vitamins w/o iron?
I've never heard one should get vitamins without iron. I feel it's good to check with the doctor and get a hemoglobin test to see if more iron is needed first. Usually, women need it more than men because we bleed it out every month. People who are anemic must always take iron supplements (not vitamins with iron in it) and eat foods high in iron.

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
If you take iron supplements, make sure you take Vitamin C too because it helps the body absorb and use most types of iron better.

Miss*Tress

Excessive amounts of iron can be toxic if you're not anemic. As Isis says get a blood test first and the doctor will prescribe the proper dosage.

Ashee

Isis said:
I noticed a very good point on the thread you posted that meat isn't the only or best way to get protein. I agree with that. There are so many wonderful sources of protein. Here on LHCF, the Egg Challenge is an example of a good protein source. I still eat at least one egg per day.

I also take spirulina, eat almonds and other nuts, almond cheese, lots of veggies, brown rice, tofu and other soy products - all have protein and can add up quickly. I haven't deliberately focused yet on increasing my protein though.

I loooove Spirulina!!! I also take Chlorophyll so I guess I'm on my way to extra protein & getting in all of my GREENS!!

Ashee

CurlyCrly said:
If you take iron supplements, make sure you take Vitamin C too because it helps the body absorb and use most types of iron better.

The Chelated form of vitamins and minerals such as iron & zinc is absorbed by the body quicker & easier than most other forms of tablets.

Ashee

senimoni said:
Are chelated vitamins more expensive?? How do you know if they are chelated?

No, I don't think so.
The bottle should state that they are.
I learned about them from UBH - Cathy's Book on Growing Long Hair for Black Women! :grin:

BklynHeart

What about peanut butter? Is that pretty high in protein? I usually eat it on wheat bread in the mornings at my desk.

Ashee

BAILEYSCREAM said:
Yes, protein does increase your growth rate.......when I took my HF37 vits with 6-9 of the amino acid tablets daily religiously many months ago I had crazy growth. I am talking an unusual amount of growth to what I normally get.

Anyway, now I have started to drink milk every single day with Nesquik banana flavour powder. It's an easy way to get protein since I simply have to drink it.

Baileyscream-
Why did you stop taking the HF37 Vitas?
I was curious of them yet hesitant that they wouldn't work?

In the past 2 months I've had 2.5 inches of growth... I just want to make sure that it keeps coming! :D

Ashee

senimoni said:
Really maybe I should try that too. Why do people always encourage you to get vitamins w/o iron?

A high amount of iron can make one constipated. Maybe to avoid the situation all together, it's suggest to purchase supplements w/o it. :look: