PROTEIN...how do I know?

shellzfoshizzle

How do I know if a certain product I am using has protein in it?

How do I know when my hair needs protein?

I hear that sometimes too much protein can cause breakage....I'm just curious about protein...someone fill me in.

amy1234

I always check the ingredients for protein and look for components like: collagen, wheat protein, vegetable protein. Each of these proteins have different levels of strength (collagen as the strongest). Supergirl made a post on the different types of protein a while back though....

Sistaslick

shellzfoshizzle said:
How do I know if a certain product I am using has protein in it?

How do I know when my hair needs protein?

I hear that sometimes too much protein can cause breakage....I'm just curious about protein...someone fill me in.

Like Dee said, most protein based products will list a specific protein if its there in the ingredients. Silk, Wheat, Animal, hydrolyzed, etc. Some products have "amino acids" which if you remember from biology- are the building blocks of protein.:D

For me, the best way to tell whether I need more protein (or moisture) is on my wet hair as I am washing it. You can tell by the way the hair breaks (stretch then snap, or hardly a stretch then snap) if you need protein or moisture. Breakage of any kind usually indicates an imbalance in either the protein or moisture levels. Properly balanced hair will not break easily, even when wet-- unless undo stress is placed upon it. Hair that is shifted too far on either side of the balance (too much protein or too much moisture) will break. :yep: Hair that is shifted too far on the protein side (too much protein) will probably break easier, both wet and dry, because it lacks elasticity. Any type of stretching or tension will break it. This type needs more moisture to balance it out and stop breakage.;) Hair that is shifted too far on the moisture side will be "super-elastic" and stetch more because it lacks a sound protein structure. It will stretch then break. This type needs more protein to balance it out. The strength of protein you need depends on the level of breakage and other factors. ;)

So basically, at the end of the day, both unbalanced types end up breaking. Thats why when you have breakage its important to figure out the true cause behind it. If you just slap on protein to solve any and every kind of breakage problem, you are setting yourself up for trouble. HTH.:) Just my 2 1/2 cents.:lol:

Plenty

Sistaslick said:
Like Dee said, most protein based products will list a specific protein if its there in the ingredients. Silk, Wheat, Animal, hydrolyzed, etc. Some products have "amino acids" which if you remember from biology- are the building blocks of protein.:D

For me, the best way to tell whether I need more protein (or moisture) is on my wet hair as I am washing it. You can tell by the way the hair breaks (stretch then snap, or hardly a stretch then snap) if you need protein or moisture. Breakage of any kind usually indicates an imbalance in either the protein or moisture levels. Properly balanced hair will not break easily, even when wet-- unless undo stress is placed upon it. Hair that is shifted too far on either side of the balance (too much protein or too much moisture) will break. :yep: Hair that is shifted too far on the protein side (too much protein) will probably break easier, both wet and dry, because it lacks elasticity. Any type of stretching or tension will break it. This type needs more moisture to balance it out and stop breakage.;) Hair that is shifted too far on the moisture side will be "super-elastic" and stetch more because it lacks a sound protein structure. It will stretch then break. This type needs more protein to balance it out. The strength of protein you need depends on the level of breakage and other factors. ;)

So basically, at the end of the day, both unbalanced types end up breaking. Thats why when you have breakage its important to figure out the true cause behind it. If you just slap on protein to solve any and every kind of breakage problem, you are setting yourself up for trouble. HTH.:) Just my 2 1/2 cents.:lol:
The best explanation I have every come across. Thanks for sprading the knowledge sistaslick!

UmSumayyah

Here is a post I saved by Supergirl.

To clear the air about protein...

I've noticed on some of the threads, there seems to be some confusion and misconceptions about protein in hair products. I've noticed that some think that the use of (overuse) of) any protein is bad for the hair.

But the only protein that we really want to avoid over doing it with is Keratin. Also, sometimes "Hydrolyzed Animal Protein" appears in the ingredient list & this is one that we also do not want to overuse. Keratin is the protein naturally found in hair so when we use a hair product with Keratin, it adds structure & strength to our hair. It does this by hardening (strengthening) the hair to a degree. This is why we moisturize after strong protein treatments It is said that overuse of a protein conditioner can cause the hair to become dry and brittle. If it is Keratin, this is true--BUT...

There are even protein conditioners with Keratin in them that are safe for weekly use-IF YOU FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS (K-Pak & Keraphix are 2 that come to mind) Humectress has Keratin and is safe for use DAILY. The old formula of Mizani Moisturefuse had keratin protein in it & I used it faithfully(weekly) in college & my hair thrived thrived thrived!!!!!!!! ( and I was still using quite a bit of heat during this time)

The other proteins we encounter in hair products besides keratin are not naturally found in the hair but are beneficial to the hair. I won't go into detail (we have a thread about all of it) but these proteins are moisturizing, shining, smoothing, elastic, etc. proteins. Proteins from "starchy" sources also offer mild structuring (examples: wheat & rice protein)

The strong protein conditioners (that I can think of) that would be detrimental with overuse would be INTENSE treatments such as DRC 28, Aphogee, & Emergencee.

"Over the counter" products for everyday use that contain protein are not dangerous to your hair. If they were--they would not be sold over the counter OR the directions would explicitly tell you to only use the products every so many days. (examples: Profectiv break-free& healthy ends, ORS Carrot Cream)

So in conclusion, don't fret about protein. Don't be paranoid that every little protein is bad. Don't be like "ooo, protein!" and shake like they did on Lion King to "ooo Mufasa--say it again! Mufasa!" In fact--if you are relaxed, you betta get some protein up in that mane of yours. If you want your ends to stay thick and healthy for longer periods of time--protein is key to your hair's diet. If you use any drip-drop of heat EVA(ever) in your hair, get some protein.

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!
-++*

SparklingFlame

What the heck does this mean????? &amp

I have been seeing this and I am totally clueless!!!!!!!

But this is a great post!!!! :D

Cinnabuns

naturallady said:

Yes I'd like to know also.

What about (sp?) - Not sure what this means either.

Anyways this is a great thread, I myself have always wanted to know more about protein treatments, when and how to use them. :)

Sistaslick

UmSumayyah said:
Here is a post I saved by Supergirl.

To clear the air about protein...

I've noticed on some of the threads, there seems to be some confusion and misconceptions about protein in hair products. I've noticed that some think that the use of (overuse) of) any protein is bad for the hair.

But the only protein that we really want to avoid over doing it with is Keratin. Also, sometimes "Hydrolyzed Animal Protein" appears in the ingredient list & this is one that we also do not want to overuse. Keratin is the protein naturally found in hair so when we use a hair product with Keratin, it adds structure & strength to our hair. It does this by hardening (strengthening) the hair to a degree. This is why we moisturize after strong protein treatments It is said that overuse of a protein conditioner can cause the hair to become dry and brittle. If it is Keratin, this is true--BUT...

There are even protein conditioners with Keratin in them that are safe for weekly use-IF YOU FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS (K-Pak & Keraphix are 2 that come to mind) Humectress has Keratin and is safe for use DAILY. The old formula of Mizani Moisturefuse had keratin protein in it & I used it faithfully(weekly) in college & my hair thrived thrived thrived!!!!!!!! ( and I was still using quite a bit of heat during this time)

The other proteins we encounter in hair products besides keratin are not naturally found in the hair but are beneficial to the hair. I won't go into detail (we have a thread about all of it) but these proteins are moisturizing, shining, smoothing, elastic, etc. proteins. Proteins from "starchy" sources also offer mild structuring (examples: wheat & rice protein)

The strong protein conditioners (that I can think of) that would be detrimental with overuse would be INTENSE treatments such as DRC 28, Aphogee, & Emergencee.

"Over the counter" products for everyday use that contain protein are not dangerous to your hair. If they were--they would not be sold over the counter OR the directions would explicitly tell you to only use the products every so many days. (examples: Profectiv break-free& healthy ends, ORS Carrot Cream)

So in conclusion, don't fret about protein. Don't be paranoid that every little protein is bad. Don't be like "ooo, protein!" and shake like they did on Lion King to "ooo Mufasa--say it again! Mufasa!" In fact--if you are relaxed, you betta get some protein up in that mane of yours. If you want your ends to stay thick and healthy for longer periods of time--protein is key to your hair's diet. If you use any drip-drop of heat EVA(ever) in your hair, get some protein.

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!
-++*

This is a great discussion!:grin:

I agree that some proteins are stronger than others, but daily or even weekly use of even the milder protein treatments may result in an imbalance between the protein and moisture levels within the hair strands in some people. But honestly, its almost too hard to even go by the "types of proteins". You never know the percent composition of these products so though it may have a specific protein down the ingredient list, it might not be as strong as if it were higher on the ingredient list(greater percent composition). The protein in question could be 30% of the product or 0.3%! Who knows! You have to play around with different products to know how strong it is on your hair. You can't really say "Oh this is wheat protein so its gonna very light!" Or "this is animal protein, so its gonna be very heavy." It would be nice if that were true all the time, but because the product percent composition really plays such an important role, label reading can only do so much. For example, every product with keratin isn't going to feel the same way across the board. Just like every product that contains glycerine or water isn't going to feel the same! You must experiment and find your hair tolerance and it will vary from product to product, not necessarily protein to protein.

For example, some people think Aphogee 2 minute is a mild to tough protein, but my hair tends to laugh at it and feel the exact same after using it. For me, I just experimented using different combinations of products to find out what my hair tolerance is.

I totally agree that relaxed ladies need more protein. If you are relaxed or color treated, those processes have compromised the protein structure of your hair--so you kinda need the supplemental protein. Not everyone needs protein though, some naturals can live without it...:)

For the relaxed ladies though, It's like we've all sustained different degrees of "damage" from the relaxing processes. Some people's hair is more protein deficient by nature (from the coloring/relaxing) so they require more to keep the balance in tact. Relaxing and coloring breaks protein bonds so depending on the type and degree of relaxer and level on bond breakage you will need more or less protein than someone else. So you can't say weekly, daily, or monthly protein is too much or too little because we do not know the true condition and specific needs of your hair to start with. At the end of the day, you must experiment and get to know your own head of hair.

Last edited:

MiWay

naturallady said:

I think that's just something some computers do when someone types the & sign. My computer does it when I use AIM.

keylargo

Sistaslick said:

I agree that some proteins are stronger than others, but daily or even weekly use of even the milder protein treatments may result in an imbalance between the protein and moisture levels within the hair strands in some people. But honestly, its almost too hard to even go by the "types of proteins". You never know the percent composition of these products so though it may have a specific protein down the ingredient list, it might not be as strong as if it were higher on the ingredient list(greater percent composition). The protein in question could be 30% of the product or 0.3%! Who knows! You have to play around with different products to know how strong it is on your hair. You can't really say "Oh this is wheat protein so its gonna very light!" Or "this is animal protein, so its gonna be very heavy." It would be nice if that were true all the time, but because the product percent composition really plays such an important role, label reading can only do so much. For example, every product with keratin isn't going to feel the same way across the board. Just like every product that contains glycerine or water isn't going to feel the same! You must experiment and find your hair tolerance and it will vary from product to product, not necessarily protein to protein.

For example, some people think Aphogee 2 minute is a mild to tough protein, but my hair tends to laugh at it and feel the exact same after using it. For me, I just experimented using different combinations of products to find out what my hair tolerance is.

I totally agree that relaxed ladies need more protein. If you are relaxed or color treated, those processes have compromised the protein structure of your hair--so you kinda need the supplemental protein. Not everyone needs protein though, some naturals can live without it...:)

For the relaxed ladies though, It's like we've all sustained different degrees of "damage" from the relaxing processes. Some people's hair is more protein deficient by nature (from the coloring/relaxing) so they require more to keep the balance in tact. Relaxing and coloring breaks protein bonds so depending on the type and degree of relaxer and level on bond breakage you will need more or less protein than someone else. So you can't say weekly, daily, or monthly protein is too much or too little because we do not know the true condition and specific needs of your hair to start with. At the end of the day, you must experiment and get to know your own head of hair.
sisterslick, I wish you were posting around here 2 years ago. It took me that long to figure this out. It has been the cause of major set backs for me. I was one of those people that would keep applying protein thinking it will eventually stop breakage without realizing it was the problem. My hair is relaxed, fine and 4b and cannot even tolerate Nexus Humectress on the regular. My hair does need some protein, but I have to be VERY careful to not over do it. Now, I make sure I have plenty of daily styling products and conditioners with no protein on hand. My hair feels so much better.

neonbright

I got a question, I was using Cantu Break Free twice a day, until a few days ago. Now I use it once a day, it has protein in it. But it states use it on a regularly when styling.

So do you think I am using too much. I am relax every 12 weeks, as far as hair type I am not sure. Before he birth of my daughter 4a, now, I really don't know....

shellzfoshizzle

Ok thanks ya'll for putting all the information out there for me and others. I understand!

Sp = spelling (usually when the person is unsure of the spelling of a word)

&amp = & is read ampersand. It is used in old posts I notice.

devin

u know we had a loooong discussion about this Sista. That was what was confusing me sooo much, b/c i would see all the different information about protein and how much or how little to use, and the relaxed hair needed protein. The light and heavy proteins and percentages and the fact that almost all poo's and conditioner's have some type of protein, was like okay what do I do and how much do i need?!? You really helped me get an understanding and I realized that I personally don't need a lot of protein, in fact I need very little, b/c even what are supposed to be the mild proteins are harsh on my hair with consistent use! So I need lots and lots of moisture. It really is a matter of trial and error for your own hair.:grin:

Sistaslick said:

Sistaslick

neonbright said:
I got a question, I was using Cantu Break Free twice a day, until a few days ago. Now I use it once a day, it has protein in it. But it states use it on a regularly when styling.

So do you think I am using too much. I am relax every 12 weeks, as far as hair type I am not sure. Before he birth of my daughter 4a, now, I really don't know....

Just note how your hair feels using that product daily. If you start noticing your hair becoming harder, more rigid, less pliable, and subsequently breaking more easily because of this--you need to alternate to a more moisturizing, less protein heavy product. This will increase the moisture levels in your hair and restore the elasticity. Your hair needs to be strong as well as elastic to resist breakage. Protein gives the hair structure which means increased strength... but this can rob the hair of its elasticity-- the ability to be manipulated, bend, and be flexible. Too much protein can cause the hair to be rough and not be able to stretch at all when presented with stress...it'll just snap.:( Too little protein will cause the hair to feel limp, stretch, stretch, stretch...then snap. Balanced hair will stretch, return, and resist breakage all together.

But listen to your hair. Like I said, one product may be too much for me for daily use and perfect for you daily! The instructions on the jar are only a guide . . . only you can determine your hair tolerance.:) This isn't a relaxer where you have to follow the instructions to the T- its a moisturizer so you have some leeway. :grin: The makers willl tell you to use it daily because thats in their own best interests . . .they want to you use it, run out of it, and buy more again:lol: For my hair, the Cantu products tend to be a little too protein rich... so I use them only when my hair is really over-conditioned and protein deficient. Daily use for me would result in breakage. I would suggest you alternate the Breakcure with a more moisturizing moisturizer- just to be on the safe side. For all of my products, I have a moisturizing version and a protein based version.:) This includes conditioners, leave ins, and water based moisturizers. :D

You really want to balance out your products as much as possible. If you are having breakage (unless initiated by excess physical stress such as undue pulling/tension) this an indication that your hair is experiencing an imbalance in either the protein or moisture levels in your hair. When in doubt, I always suggest that you err on the side of more moisture. This is simply because it is soooo much harder to bounce back from breakage caused by a protein overload than breakage caused by an overload of conditioning/moisturizing. Sorry so long. HTH!:)

PinkAngel

So, Sista are you saying that when you take a string of hair, pull it both ways and it stretches w/o breaking but doesn't bounce back....you need protein? And when you pull it both ways and it stretches, then breaks....you need moisture? And when you pull and it stretches but returns to it's original state.....you're all good? Sorry, I'm a little slow on this.

I used a mild protein (Keraphix) a week ago, I shampooed w/ therapee, keraphix, humectress. When I shampooed this week I used therapee, humectress & ors replen pak. When I pulled my hair taunt it stretch, but didn't bounce back, but it also didn't break. So, I'm trying to figure out if I need light protein every other week or once a month.?

TIA Sista!

Sistaslick

msshic said:
So, Sista are you saying that when you take a string of hair, pull it both ways and it stretches w/o breaking but doesn't bounce back....you need protein? And when you pull it both ways and it stretches, then breaks....you need moisture? And when you pull and it stretches but returns to it's original state.....you're all good? Sorry, I'm a little slow on this.

I used a mild protein (Keraphix) a week ago, I shampooed w/ therapee, keraphix, humectress. When I shampooed this week I used therapee, humectress & ors replen pak. When I pulled my hair taunt it stretch, but didn't bounce back, but it also didn't break. So, I'm trying to figure out if I need light protein every other week or once a month.?

TIA Sista!

Well for me, it is more pronounced on wet hair. Wet hair really allows the hair to display its qualities- it kinda exaggerates them-- particularly the elasticity and strength ones.:D If your hair is stretching without returning, even if its not breaking you should use a light protein to correct this. When your hair stretches, the strand "thins" and becomes weaker across the cross section. It may not break right then at that very point in time, but stretched out of and beyond its shape, it is compromised and will eventually break at some other point. Your hair should be springing back to position.:yep: If its stretching and stretching without breaking it may be your hair's way of telling you, "Hey, I need a little structure (protein) here! I'm getting waaaay too elastic, but not yet enough to break-- so do something now!" This is where a preventive maintenance protein application would come in. You don't have to wait for breakage to act.:nono: Your hair is telling you now:) Start light, and work from there. You may not need a heavy treatment just yet. :)

And, you don't have to get all of your protein from a "treatment" per se or conditioner either. You can always throw in protein based leave in conditioners like (Infusium23) or waterbased moisturizers like (Cantu's Breakcure/or Elasta QP mango butter) to help you maintain the balance within your regimen. This way you can get a little or a lot without relying on one product. Since you aren't having breakage yet, a protein based moisturizer may do the trick as far as keeping you balanced.;)

Stretching. You have to be careful with this, and as I said before, its always more pronounced on wet hair. This is one of the main problems people have with "wet bunning" and why its always best to bun hair that is partially dry or close to it. If you pull your hair taut while its sopping wet, it is super elastic and stretched longer because of the water. When it contracts to dry, you get breakage because the hair was stretched and is trying to return but is kept taut in this stretched position by your holder. Over time, the area near the holder grows weaker from the stretching. Its late and I am rambling as I always do in the AM hours:lol: I'll read this tomorrow and be like yeah... I must have been sleepy typing that:lachen:

Sistaslick

msshic said:

TIA Sista!

Also I want to add that, its probably going to be hard for you to tell by holding a string of hair and pulling on both ends. That type of stress would be what I've been calling "undue" stress, because no one hair is really ever subjected to that kind of tension at one time. Any hair (healthy or not) that you pull on both ends has the potential to snap depending on the pressure you put on it. Thats why I say its easiest to do on wet hair that is already on your head- basically by combing though it or touching/testing it. When I wash, I wet my hair first, then determine the conditioners and other products I'll be using that cycle based on how my hair feels after its wet. Hair that would need protein would stretch along with the comb and maybe snap some then--hair that would need moisturizing and conditioning wouldn't really give or stretch at all, feel rough, and just snap. This is how I personally do it.

On wet hair, it is basically if you are getting:

Stretching then a snap= more protein

Stretching, stretching, stretching= more protein

Weak, gummy, mushy, limp hair= more protein

Very little/no stretching= more moisture

Rough/tough/hard/tangly/brittle hair= more moisture

Stretch/return/no snap= you are balanced just stick with maintaining!

Unsure= err on the side of moisture

HTH! Goodnite folks!:lol:

Candy_C

Sistaslick said:

aahaaa! see, i thought i needed moisture. i was playin with some strands that came out and it would streeeetch then snap. i've been getting a lil breakage lately (probabley from playing and twistin my hair) and i really thought i needed moisture, but my hair LOVES protein so i was sitting down for hours thinkin "do i need keracare or do i need MNT?" i finally used both, keracare shampoo and mnt conditioner, humecto then i may use either a moisturizing leave in or a protein one..i'm steering towards protein. i think i may be level as my hair didn't break when wet.

thanksss!

Last edited:

PinkAngel

Thanks Sista,

I think I'll start off w/ the Cantu Break moisturizer and test my hair next week on wash day.

Thanks again for all your advice.

ETA: I just realized I've done 2 (light) protein treatments 2 weeks straight. I didn't realize the ORS replen pak contained protein.

Last edited: