Protein Is My Friend Part 2

Destiny9109

Hydrolyzed proteins have been used in hair products for decades. Even in small amounts (0.5% to 1%) hydrolyzed proteins can create a noticeable difference in hair care products. You can tell how much protein is in the product by where it is listed on the ingredient list. If there is protein in the first 5 or 6 ingredients listed, this is a higher-protein product or a protein treatment. If it is near the bottom with fragrances, it is a lower-protein product. High-protein, protein treatments might be in the 5-6% protein range.

What does hydrolyzed mean?
It means that a chemical compound is split into smaller units. So if you see the word “hydrolyzed” in front of any of the protein names, it just means that protein has been broken down into smaller units.

Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein: Water soluble protein derived from wheat, it penetrates the cortex of each strand. It strengthens and moisturizes hair, increases it’s ability to receive and maintain moisture.

Hydrolyzed Silk Protein: Derived from one of the strongest natural fibers in the world. Forms a cystalline protective barrier on strands. Improves hair’s elasticity, resiliency, increases shine (silk is known for it’s ability to hold 10,000 times it’s weight in water.).

GlycoProtein: Derived from oyster shells, contains sugar and amino acids that help strengthen and smooth hair.

Milk Protein (Lactabumin): Derived from milk, high in lactic acid containing 8 essential amino acids. Has been labeled the most perfect protein. Great for dry or damaged hair.

Hydrolyzed Soy Protein: Water soluble protein derived from soy. Strengthens and mends hair fiber. Increases the ability for hair to hold moisture. Adds shine and smoothes hair.

Collagen Protein: Increases elasticity in hair.

Vegetable Protein: Hydrates hair. Great for porous or damaged hair and split ends. Absorbs more easily into hair shaft than animal protein. Leaves no build up.

Animal Protein: Breaks down into fatty acids and coats the hair. Leaves build up on the hair.

Keratin Protein: Every ones hair is made up of keratin protein. This is the strongest of the hair product proteins. When used in product form, it strengthens the hair shaft preventing breakage. Smoothes the hairs cuticle reducing frizz and making it softer and shinier.

Why use protein?
Protein is used for strength, for shine, for hydration and to reduce breakage. Protein helps temporarily repair damaged areas in hair by filling in gaps in the cuticle. Protein keeps hair hydrated by slowing the loss of water from hair.

Protein words
Look for these words to spot proteins in an ingredient list: Hydrolyzed ______ protein, amino acids, peptides. These are all proteins. Cocodimonium Hydroxypropyl Hydrolyzed (protein source - wheat, keratin, etc.) and Lauryldimonium Hydroxypropyl Hydrolyzed (protein source) are proteins which have been modified to be better hair conditioners and bond to hair better, add more softness. Yeast extract is a protein.

Whose hair needs protein?
  • Damaged hair/porous hair: sun-bleached, pool-damaged, highlighted, relaxed, permanent waved, and permanent-dyed or semi-permanent-dyed hair usually needs more protein. Hair with lots of high-heat styling tends to need extra protein because it has lost some of the protective layers that hold moisture in and lost some native proteins. If you use baking soda or soap bars (alkaline treatments), your hair probably needs protein as a result of those things. If you brush your hair vigorously and the ends are thinner than the middle and look lighter in color, your hair may need protein - especially on the ends. Protein balances out porosity in damaged hair.

• Dry hair - if you have tried deep conditioning, oil treatments (with coconut, palm, sunflower, avocado or olive oil - left on for 4-8 or 12 hours) and those things aren't working, your hair's dryness may indicate a need for protein rather than-or in addition to emollients.

• Before coloring or lightening, relaxing or perming hair or after a lot of sun exposure or dry wind exposure hair can benefit from hydrolyzed proteins in products.

• Breakage in your hair. Seeing or hearing lots of breakage? If you have already tried deep conditioning or a long oil treatment, it's time to try some protein. Because protein helps keep hair hydrated (it slows water loss!), it can help reduce breakage in dehydrated hair by increasing hydration. Hair is less likely to break when it is flexible and hair is most flexible when it is well hydrated.
*copied from different sources*

Destiny9109

Heavy protein treatments
Aphogee Two Step(new version is collagen, old version was animal)
Dudley's DRC(animal, keratin)
Komaza Care Protein Hair Strengthener(keratin, jojoba)
Babyface Pure Protein Hair Treatment(collagen)
E'tae Carmel Deep Reconstructing Treatment
Nouritress Perfect Hair Protein Conditioner(animal)
Nairobi Nairoplex
Colorful Neutral Protein Filler(keratin, wheat)
Straight Request Strength 1000
Keracare Super Reconstructor(collagen)

Reconstructors
Joico K Pak(human hair keratin)
Affirm 5 in 1(keratin)
Aphogee Two Minute Keratin Reconstructor(keratin, collagen, wheat)
Nairobi Protasil(wheat, silk)
Vitale Pro Triple Blend Reconstructor(keratin, collagen)
Hayashi System 911(collagen)
Lanza KB2 Keratin Bond(keratin)
Ion Reconstructor(keratin)

Can you guys help me out, I haven't tried a lot of products lol

Last edited:

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I'm LoPo, but if you are HiPo, Komaza Protein treatment is excellent.

My goto's were Nexxus Emergencee (hard) and Keraphix (medium). Nexxus Polymedic (hard) is good, but it needs heat to be activated, similar to Aphogee 2-step. If you choose not to use heat, leave it on for like an hour with a shower cap. Works fine but better with heat.

Curl Junkie Repair Me (light-medium) is nice but not worth price tag. Likewise for Curl Junkie Curl Fix (medium).

Neutral Protein Filler is good if it's just used undiluted.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I will be using both Protein Treatments as well as Reconstructors. I will try to do this every other Wash Day.

I'll be using:
Claudie's Protein & Claudie's Reconstruction
Hairveda's Methi Set
Soultanicals Strand Repair & Soultanicals Molasses Reconstruct
Cream & Coco's Spun Sugar Reconstructor
Neutral Protein Filler
Curl Junkie's Repair Me & Curl Junkie's Deep Fix
Mission:Condition's Caramel Treatment
E'tae Caramel Treatment
Bekura's Whiskey Vanilla
Nexxus Emergencee
L'Anza Reconstructor

faithVA

I need to use protein more often, probably at least every other month. I currently use Komaza which I like. I've used Aphogee which was OK. I want to try the Nexxus Emergencee after I use up the Komaza.

I try to keep my protein to just my DC and not in anything applied after rinse out.

Destiny9109

I don't use a reconstructor at the moment. I do a heavy protein treatment twice a month followed by a moisturizing deep conditioner, the other two weeks I just use moisture. My leave ins are always protein. I have done heavy protein treatments on relaxer day with no problems.

almond eyes

After my over moisturisation fiasco, I couldn't style my hair into a big bun anymore it looked rather anorexic.

I decided to return to extension braids after saying my hair could not handle extension braids again because I missed my extension braids and I needed a protective style.

I shampooed twice and used Komaza protein with no DC afterwards before my braids and gave my hair breaks in between (five days to one week) and I was surprised no breakage when I removed my braids. My braider did not braid my hair tight and I only kept it in for three weeks. She used the feed braid method for the weaker parts of my hair.

I wish I had been more diligent about my protein in the past.

Best,
Almond Eyes

PJaye

These are my protein-laden conditioners, protein treatments and reconstructors:

Aphogee Curlific Treatment/Hair Strengthening Kit/2-Minute Reconstructor/Two-Step Treatment
Silicon Mix Original/Pearl/Bambu/Argan
Bask Whiskey Reparative Hair Soak
Colorful Neutral Protein Filler
Curl Junkie Repair Me/Beauticurls Strengthening Conditioner
Elucence Moisture Repair Treatment
Eqyss Mega-Tek Cell Rebuilder
Ion Effective Care Treatment
Komaza Protein Strengthener
Mill Creek Biotin Conditioner/Keratin Conditioner
Mission Condition Hair Caramel Protein Treatment
Nairobi Humecta-Sil Conditioner
Nutress Protein Pack
ORS Replenishing Conditioner
Roux Mendex Hair Repair Treatment
SSI Fortifying Masque/Okra Reconstructor/Repair & Restore
Sweet Nature By Eddie Silk Amino Protein Mask
Emergencia Deep Intensive Treatment
True Intense Treatment Masque
APB Bamboo & Algae Mask/Not Easily Broken
Bask & Bloom Brahmi Masque
Etae Caramel Reconstructing Treatment
Hairveda Methi Sativa Set
Mielle Babassu DC
Shea Moisture JBCO Masque/Sacha Inchi Masque
Soultanicals Molasses DC/Strand Repair Mask/Knot Honey Caramel

I prefer to use the commercial protein treatments, like Silicon Mix and ORS, on dry hair as a pre-poo because they offer great slip and provide me with everything I need with minimal steps. If I opt for a handmade/natural product, I always seem to lean towards the protein-laden balancing conditioners, such as Mielle, Bekura, APB, Curl Junkie and Bask & Bloom. When I'm committed to doing a multi-step, full blown treatment, I will reach for the Aphogee Kit or Two-Step (mixed with protein filler), Komaza and Mill Creek. I'm still playing around with the molasses-based products to determine whether I like them or not.

FWIW, a great way to give your hair a quick protein kick is to use the protein-laden/strengthening conditioners as rinses, e.g., for a quick cowash or pre-poo, to facilitate the removal of semi-permanent color, etc. The SSI Okra, Aphogee 2-Minute, Ion and Mendex are great for these purposes.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I'm a big fan of protein. I do a prewash treatment with Kerastase Therapiste every week. I will slow down once my hair health improves some more.

I'm not experiencing breakage, but I do have a few split, dry ends. I also do an overnight prepoo with coconut oil before each wash.

I do a keratin treatment every 4-6 weeks to smooth my hair. I think it also stopped my breakage and made my hair easier to manage.

Aggie

My protein conditioning treatments/Reconstructors are:

Dudley's DRC 28 Protein Treatment
Keracare Intensive Restorative Masque
Kerastase Therapiste Masque
Pureology Essential Repair Restorative Hair Masque
Joico K-Pak Revitaluxe Bio-Advanced Restorative Treatment
Joico K-Pak Deep Penetrating Reconstructor
Colorful Neutral Protein Filler

Affirm 5 in 1 Reconstructor
Affirm Sustenance Fortifying Treatment
Macadamia Natural Oil hair repair Masque
Redken Extreme Strengthening Builder Foritying Mask
Nexxus Polymedic Emergency Reconstructor
Nexxus Emergencee Reconstructive treatment
Dominican Magic Nourishing Deep Fortifying Conditioner

She Scent It Restore and Repair Hair mask
Annabelle's Perfect Blends Not Easily Broken Herbal Conditioner
J. Monique's Naturals Burdock Root & Nettle Hair Repair Treatment
Mielle Organics Babassu Oil Mint Deep Conditioner
Curl Junkie Repair Me Reconstructive Hair Treatment
Curl Junkie Beauticurls Strengthening Hair Conditioner
Naturelle Grow Bamboo and Silk Deep Conditioner

I have tried many many others but the above are what's currently in my stash :yep:. I will also begin using some protein treatment or another with my weekly washes. My hair really does thrive better when I use protein on it on a regular basis.

Last edited: