Protein Is My Friend Part 2

Aggie

Added to my list of protein conditioners is the entire Joico K-Pak line from the Shampoo to the treatments and hair oils and smoothing balm and also the Joico Revitaluxe line. Love them all!

Last edited:

sunshine737

My hair LOVES protein as well. I have fine high porosity hair. I do henna glosses and even after them I use a light protein like ORS Replenishing pak or even the ORS hair mayo. I used to love the ION Reconstructor but I never see it anymore. I just purchased the Aphogee 2 step today and am planning on using it during this weeks wash day because my hair has been feeling over conditioned... Hoping for good results.

I used to be scared of protein because I used to hear people talking about protein overload. Even when I got great results from protein I would space it out because I was scared of "protein overload" I actually ended up with moisture overload and almost ruined my hair. Thankfully I snapped out of that and came to understand MY hair. When I finally embraced the fact that my hair LOVES protein was when my hair made a TOTAL turnaround. :drunk:

sunshine737

Sooo... about that Aphogee 2 step.. It was ok. Curls do look tighter. Hair feels stronger, but shedding did not decrease. I feel like shedding increased, but that could be because of lack of sleep. It wasn't as messy or scary as I thought it would be. I'll try it again in about 6 weeks. I'm feeling pretty 'meh' about my hair. Thinking of having a deva cut next week. :afro:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Used: Sarenzo's Quinoa & Bamboo Protein Rx yesterday.

Plan to use a light protein or reconstructor every wash day throughout the Summer.

Aggie

Next week, I think I will be using Keracare 5 in 1 Reconstructor or Keracare Restorative Hair Masque - not sure which one yet.

Destiny9109

My hair LOVES protein as well. I have fine high porosity hair. I do henna glosses and even after them I use a light protein like ORS Replenishing pak or even the ORS hair mayo. I used to love the ION Reconstructor but I never see it anymore. I just purchased the Aphogee 2 step today and am planning on using it during this weeks wash day because my hair has been feeling over conditioned... Hoping for good results.

I used to be scared of protein because I used to hear people talking about protein overload. Even when I got great results from protein I would space it out because I was scared of "protein overload" I actually ended up with moisture overload and almost ruined my hair. Thankfully I snapped out of that and came to understand MY hair. When I finally embraced the fact that my hair LOVES protein was when my hair made a TOTAL turnaround. :drunk:

Same for me, all that moisture wasn't for me and I ended up losing a lot of hair. I had no problems when I used a reconstructor every week, after I finish my moisture deep conditioner I might not repurchase because I barely use it.

Aggie

This morning I will be:

Prepooing with my Egg/honey/evoo/acv mix
Shampooing
with Tigi Bedhead Resurrection Shampoo
Protein conditioning (5 minutes in shower) with Nexxus Emergencee Reconstructing Treatment
Protein Deep Conditioning with heat J. Monique's Naturals Burdock Root & Nettle Hair Repair Treatment
Moisture Deep Conditioning
with J.Monique's Naturals Hibiscus & Broccoli Deep Conditioner
Leave-In with Inahsi Naturals Aloe-Hibiscus Leave-In.

May heavy seal later this evening with QB CTDG and MHC Type 4 Hair Creme to seal.

Last edited:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@LushLox
I know right????:eek: Neither did I.

Gurl...It's a lot of work. Different set of issues from being Relaxed, but issues nonetheless. :look:

Both come with their own set of Challenges. Believe that.:angry2:

I transitioned for about a year and a 1/2 - maybe close to 2?

And then BC'ed (snipping here & there all the while) I think 09/16? Not sure of the exact dates.

It's kinda all blurred together.:spinning:

LushLox

A question about Nexxus Polymedic Emergency Reconstructor. The bottle says to use it every 2 weeks, has anyone used it like this and if so, any problems?

I've used it twice, as directed and I've not had any problems but would be interested to hear from someone who has used it this way for a longer period

LushLox

I'm missing a heavy protein in my stash, I'll buy Keracare Reconstructor as that was amazing upon recollection.

Wow do they really want £25 for it? Dammmnn!

When you look around the heavy proteins seemed to be priced at similar amounts so I guess I just have to suck it up :look:

Destiny9109

I'm missing a heavy protein in my stash, I'll buy Keracare Reconstructor as that was amazing upon recollection.

Wow do they really want £25 for it? Dammmnn!

When you look around the heavy proteins seemed to be priced at similar amounts so I guess I just have to suck it up :look:

Yeah, most of the good ones are. I finally broke down and purchased Dudley's after all these years. It is worth EVERY penny.
Back in the day it was said that Ultrasheen Duotex was an excellent dupe for the Keracare Super Reconstructor, but they don't make it anymore. Here are the ingredients for the Keracare: Water, Collagen Amino Acids, Polyacrylamidomethylpropane Sulfonic Acid, Propylene Glycol, Hydrolyzed Elastin, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Sodium PCA, Methylparaben, Imidazolidinyl Urea.

Duotex ingredients: Citric Acid, Fragrance, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Methylisothiazolinone, Oleth-20, Polyquaternium-6, water

Or you could just buy some hydrolyzed elastin protein and add it to a conditioner you already have. http://www.makingcosmetics.com/Elastin-Protein-Hydrolyzed_p_1105.html

SheWalks

I need to find a harder protein treatment because Aphogee 2-Step isn't hard enough.

You might need to stop rinsing your protein out? This however isn't possible using store bought protein treatments because they have other fillers but, I found my hair is a lot better when I mix my own treatments up since I can control the amount of protein going into my hair.

SheWalks

Currently using .75oz - 1oz of hydrolyzed keratin in a spray bottle and spritizing that all throughout my head on wash day. I want to try hydrolyzed elastin but makingcosmetics is pretty expensive. Lotioncrafter & essentialwholesale has protein at better prices. Anyone know of any other sites to buy hydrolyzed protein from?