PROTEIN IS MY FRIEND

Status
Not open for further replies.

sqzbly1908

Thanks for the heads up on this honey...what I'll do is add a little to my CON moisturizing poo or even the FAST poo as it is very good at softening my hair while adding strength at the same time. I noticed that this happens when I use my Jason Thin to Thick shampoo but I don't manipulate it too much and the Jason Thin to Thick conditioner softens it right back up. So I'm hoping to get the same results mixing it with my CON or FAST poo before putting it on my hair.

Have you used any of the Giovanni shampoos? Are any of them protein-based and which ones? I hear a lot of good things about the smooth as silk but I don't want another moisture-based natural poo but a protein-based one that doesn't leave my hair feeling hard or strawlike.

You know what, (bolded) I do this with my garlic shampoo but it never occurred to me to do this with then AO GPB shampoo (duh!!!) I guess I was so po'ed on how it did my hair...gotta try this!! Thanks for the reminder

I have been tempted to try the Giovanni line - but I heard the same reviews you did with regard to moisture but not so much protein...I got enough moisturizers around her to last me into 2012!!!

Golden75

#NOMOREHAIRPRODUCTS
I'm in on this!

WHAT TYPE OF PROTEIN YOU USE? Mega-Tek; AO GPB condish; Aphogee 2min keratin; ordered SAA
HOW YOUR HAIR FEEL ON A SCALE FROM 1-10? Right now I'm a 10!
WHAT CHANGES CAN BE MADE TO ACHIEVE A 10? Keep up w/ the protein

Last night I did a cowash and used the 2min. I usually I just do on the weekend "big wash day". My hair felt hard last night no matter what I put in it, but for some reason it is so soft, and feels very strong today. Just felt really good, and looks healthy. After reading My Discovery I wanted to be sure I included more protein. I think I have a good balance going, this will help me keep it up.

Patricia

Not sure if I have the balance down yet, but wanted to see if maybe I am doing something wrong. here's what I did:

I pre-poo'd with Suave coconut con and left it on for a few hours, then I washed with Joico Reconstruct Shampoo, and followed up with Joico Reconstruct Conditioner (both in the big brown bottles). pony-tail rollersat under Pibbs, and the end result was incredible! My hair is fine, and it looked so much thicker and stronger! Oh, and last week I used the K-Pak deep reconstructor. While I love how strong my hair feels, I swear I had a lot of shedding since last week, and my scalp itched. I definitely plan to do a moisture poo & con next wash, but just wanted to know if I am missing a step when I use the protein? My hair was difficult to comb even after making my parts in the shower under running water, and there is no slip. Should I try a different brand? I've heard so many raves about Joico. TIA
NOT SURE WHY YOUR HAIR WAS SHEDDING. MAYBE SOMEONE ELSE THAT USED THESE PRODUCTS WILL HELP

Patricia

I'm in on this!

WHAT TYPE OF PROTEIN YOU USE? Mega-Tek; AO GPB condish; Aphogee 2min keratin; ordered SAA
HOW YOUR HAIR FEEL ON A SCALE FROM 1-10? Right now I'm a 10!
WHAT CHANGES CAN BE MADE TO ACHIEVE A 10? Keep up w/ the protein

Last night I did a cowash and used the 2min. I usually I just do on the weekend "big wash day". My hair felt hard last night no matter what I put in it, but for some reason it is so soft, and feels very strong today. Just felt really good, and looks healthy. After reading My Discovery I wanted to be sure I included more protein. I think I have a good balance going, this will help me keep it up.
:bouncegre:bouncegre:bouncegre
I ADDED YOU. THATS STRANGE THAT YOUR HAIR FELT HARD LAST NIGHT AND SOFT THIS MORNING. GOOD FOR YOU. TAKE BABY STEPS AND BALANCE EVERYTHING OUT

Aggie

Not sure if I have the balance down yet, but wanted to see if maybe I am doing something wrong. here's what I did:

I pre-poo'd with Suave coconut con and left it on for a few hours, then I washed with Joico Reconstruct Shampoo, and followed up with Joico Reconstruct Conditioner (both in the big brown bottles). pony-tail rollersat under Pibbs, and the end result was incredible! My hair is fine, and it looked so much thicker and stronger! Oh, and last week I used the K-Pak deep reconstructor. While I love how strong my hair feels, I swear I had a lot of shedding since last week, and my scalp itched. I definitely plan to do a moisture poo & con next wash, but just wanted to know if I am missing a step when I use the protein? My hair was difficult to comb even after making my parts in the shower under running water, and there is no slip. Should I try a different brand? I've heard so many raves about Joico. TIA

Oh no, there's nothing wrong with the brand. Joico is an awesome product, however I see your dilemma here. You have been using too much protein and not enough moisture at all. This is a :nono:. What I would suggest is that you follow up every single protein treatment with a moisturizing deep conditioner fro about 30 minutes with heat if you can.

Also do not put the conditioners on your scalp but your hair only, if you do put them on your scalp, it would cause itching. Only shampoo goes on the scalp, okay honey?

First things first though, clarify your hair to remove any build up you might have, and only give yourself a moisturizing deep conditioner for a couple of weeks, no protein until you get the elasticity back in your hair. You can not use only protein poos and conditioners - you're setting yourself up for failure. You have to have a lot of moisture too. Do you moisturize your hair between washes with a water-based moisturizer? This is also a critical step with our hair.

Aggie

:bouncegre:bouncegre:bouncegre
I ADDED YOU. THATS STRANGE THAT YOUR HAIR FELT HARD LAST NIGHT AND SOFT THIS MORNING. GOOD FOR YOU. TAKE BABY STEPS AND BALANCE EVERYTHING OUT

Great tip (bolded) Patricia, so great, I'd put it as one of the rules of this challenge on the front page for new protein users:grin:. What do you think?

Patricia

Oh no, there's nothing wrong with the brand. Joico is an awesome product, however I see your dilemma here. You have been using too much protein and not enough moisture at all. This is a :nono:. What I would suggest is that you follow up every single protein treatment with a moisturizing deep conditioner fro about 30 minutes with heat if you can.

Also do not put the conditioners on your scalp but your hair only, if you do put them on your scalp, it would cause itching. Only shampoo goes on the scalp, okay honey?

First things first though, clarify your hair to remove any build up you might have, and only give yourself a moisturizing deep conditioner for a couple of weeks, no protein until you get the elasticity back in your hair. You can not use only protein poos and conditioners - you're setting yourself up for failure. You have to have a lot of moisture too. Do you moisturize your hair between washes with a water-based moisturizer? This is also a critical step with our hair.
GOOD ADVICE, THANKS

Patricia

Great tip (bolded) Patricia, so great, I'd put it as one of the rules of this challenge on the front page for new protein users:grin:. What do you think?
YES MAAM YOU RIGHT CAUSE WE DON'T NEED TO HEAR ANY HORROR STORIES. THANKS A MILLION.

girlyprincess23

I'm in. When I incorporated Aveda DR and L'anza Reconstructor weekly into my regimen my hair began to thrive. I didn't even realize I too was led astray with moisturize moisturize moisturize. Now that I have these two my hair is in the best shape of my life.

WHAT TYPE OF PROTEIN YOU USE? L'anza Reconstructor or Aveda Damage Remedy
HOW YOUR HAIR FEEL ON A SCALE FROM 1-10? 10
WHAT CHANGES CAN BE MADE TO ACHIEVE A 10? None

AtlantaJJ

Ladies this is the perfect challenge for relaxed hair especially if it's fine, that's what my hair is...fine and it helps to give my hair added thickness and strength. Naturals with fine hair can benefit from this challenge as well and anyone with over-moisturized mushy hair:yep:.
I'm such a PJ - I have that Biolage protein too (in the stash)....:giggle:

I am a fine hair natural, and I <3 <3 <3 protein :love3:

AtlantaJJ

You know what, (bolded) I do this with my garlic shampoo but it never occurred to me to do this with then AO GPB shampoo (duh!!!) I guess I was so po'ed on how it did my hair...gotta try this!! Thanks for the reminder

I have been tempted to try the Giovanni line - but I heard the same reviews you did with regard to moisture but not so much protein...I got enough moisturizers around her to last me into 2012!!!

I have enough of everything to last me until 2012 :giggle:

I'm a recovering PJ....

I love your hair blinging at me in your siggy :bling:

WesternEyes

Thanks so much for this post! I'm definitely using protein every week now because my strands are thin and need it. I'm using Nexxus Emergencee right now(i love it), but looking for some more effective protein treatments. Thinking about trying Frederic F. Protein RX Mask.

Muse

Hey Patricia thanks for starting this. Please sign me up. I will be using Joico Kpak poo, recon, and Intense Hydrator once a week.

Muse

I wanna join! I use Mastey Restore shampoo......INGREDIENTS

Cruelty-Free Ingredients: Aqua, Eau [D.Water], Infusion of Vegetable Protein and Cysteine Amino Acid and Panthenol and Grapeseed Extract and Ascorbic Acid and Ginseng and Gingko, [Natural Moisturizing Factor] PCA and Sodium Lactate and Lactic Acid and Phospholipid EFA, Sulfoalkyl Amides & Esters, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Cetyl Alcohol, Methyl Gluceth-20, Methylchloroisothiazolinone and Methylisothiazolinone, Parfum (Fragrance)

I'm gonna also get the Aphoghee 2-minute reconstructor.

I came VERY close to buying Mastey poos but I couldn't find any reviews on the board and didn't want to go through the hassle of ordering online. Have you been using Mastey products long? How do you like them?

LivingDoll

You already know...I'm in! I'm using either:

Condish's
Aphogee 2 Min Keratin Reconstructor
CON Reconstructor
Ultra Sheen Duo Tex
Silk Elements Mayo
Megatek

Shampoo
Sally's Coloresse Rescue
Naked Naturals

Last edited:

JDandBeyond

How do I know if I need more protein?

I knew because my hair was weak. Not only a lot of shedding (from the root) but also breakage (from various points on the hair itself). I would comb my hair with a wide tooth comb and there would be hair all over the place. I attributed it to the cold weather, but it just got to be too much. There are different levels of protien deficiency, but I think mine was on the more severe side because I was having issues at the root and along the shaft. I used a hardcore treatment (aphogee 2 step) and have been trying to maintain since then. So far so good :grin:

Patricia

I'm in. When I incorporated Aveda DR and L'anza Reconstructor weekly into my regimen my hair began to thrive. I didn't even realize I too was led astray with moisturize moisturize moisturize. Now that I have these two my hair is in the best shape of my life.

WHAT TYPE OF PROTEIN YOU USE? L'anza Reconstructor or Aveda Damage Remedy
HOW YOUR HAIR FEEL ON A SCALE FROM 1-10? 10
WHAT CHANGES CAN BE MADE TO ACHIEVE A 10? None
OH THATS GOOD NEWS.A 10. I'M TRYING TO MAKE IT TO 10. YES! DON'T 4GET TO :grin:CHECK IN WEEKLY

Patricia

Thanks so much for this post! I'm definitely using protein every week now because my strands are thin and need it. I'm using Nexxus Emergencee right now(i love it), but looking for some more effective protein treatments. Thinking about trying Frederic F. Protein RX Mask.
I HEARD GOOD THINGS ABOUT NEXXUS EMERGENCEE. MOST PEOPLE USE IT WEEKLY. NOT SURE IF THEY DILUTE IT WITH MOISTURIZING CONDITIONER BUT ITS ON MY LIST. I GOT TO GET SOME. LET ME KNOW IF YOU WANT ME TO ADD YOU TO THE CHALLENGE. EVEN IF YOU DON'T JOIN COME IN AND PARTICIPATE AND RATE HOW YOUR HAIR FEELS WEEKLY ON A SCALE OF 1-10. WE ARE STRIVING FOR PERFECTION. WE WILL GET THERE. KEEP US POSTED ON HOW THE OTHER PRODUCTS WORK TOO! THANKS

Patricia

How do I know if I need more protein?
IF YOUR HAIR JUST BREAKING AND COMING OUT IN LONG STRINGS. HECK MY HAIR WAS COMING OUT IN CLUMPS IN THE SHOWER. THAT WAS A YEAR AGO. :wallbash: I STILL DIDN'T REALIZE WHAT WAS UP. MY HAIR SHED WAY LESS NOW. I'M ALSO TAKING GARLIC PILLS FROM SAMS!:grin: HEY YAWL I HAVE A LONG WAY TO GO. I WANT MY THICK HAIR BACK

Patricia

You already know...I'm in! I'm using either:

Condish's
Aphogee 2 Min Keratin Reconstructor
CON Reconstructor
Ultra Sheen Duo Tex
Silk Elements Mayo
Megatek

Shampoo
Sally's Coloresse Rescue
Naked Naturals
I ADDED YOU. I'M LIKING YOUR LIST:yep:

Muse

I know that protein can reduce breaking hair but it sounds like it slowed shedding for some of you too? I didn't think protein affected shedding. Any thoughts?

Patricia

I know that protein can reduce breaking hair but it sounds like it slowed shedding for some of you too? I didn't think protein affected shedding. Any thoughts?
GLAD YOU BROUGHT THAT UP. BY ME LOSING LESS HAIR SINCE I STARTED PROTEIN. EVEN BEFORE I STARTED GARLIC. I JUST FIGURE THE PROTEIN HELPED WITH THAT TOO! I COULD BE WRONG. MAYBE AN EXPERT CAN "SHED" SOME LIGHT.:yep:

BlondeByDesire

I would like to join.

I'm a constant shedder but this past winter it got a little out of hand - so I decided to try the protein kick bi-weekly and see how that works.

Shampoos
Nizarol AD - dry scalp
KeraCare - Hydrating Shampoo

Conditioners
Emergencee w/heat for 15 mins. (got hard) (1st time using 1/11)
DC w/Nexxuss Humectress 30 min w/o heat and 30 min. w/heat
or
ORS Replenishing
GVP Conditioning Balm
KeraCare Humecto

Rollerset with NTM and Silken Seal

I will do bi-weekly treatments with the Emergencee.

I also just started taking Garlic pills (CVS) 3x a day

Patricia

I would like to join.

I'm a constant shedder but this past winter it got a little out of hand - so I decided to try the protein kick bi-weekly and see how that works.

Shampoos
Nizarol AD - dry scalp
KeraCare - Hydrating Shampoo

Conditioners
Emergencee w/heat for 15 mins. (got hard) (1st time using 1/11)
DC w/Nexxuss Humectress 30 min w/o heat and 30 min. w/heat
or
ORS Replenishing
GVP Conditioning Balm
KeraCare Humecto

Rollerset with NTM and Silken Seal

I will do bi-weekly treatments with the Emergencee.

I also just started taking Garlic pills (CVS) 3x a day
OK I ADDED YOU. Keep me posted on how the garlic pills work out for you. How did the emergencee treatment work? dont 4get to rate how your hair feels on a scale of 1-10 weekly. thanks:yep:

WesternEyes

I HEARD GOOD THINGS ABOUT NEXXUS EMERGENCEE. MOST PEOPLE USE IT WEEKLY. NOT SURE IF THEY DILUTE IT WITH MOISTURIZING CONDITIONER BUT ITS ON MY LIST. I GOT TO GET SOME. LET ME KNOW IF YOU WANT ME TO ADD YOU TO THE CHALLENGE. EVEN IF YOU DON'T JOIN COME IN AND PARTICIPATE AND RATE HOW YOUR HAIR FEELS WEEKLY ON A SCALE OF 1-10. WE ARE STRIVING FOR PERFECTION. WE WILL GET THERE. KEEP US POSTED ON HOW THE OTHER PRODUCTS WORK TOO! THANKS

Yes, please add me too. Thanks. Nexxus Emergencee really makes a difference for my hair. I just started using it weekly because i noticed my hair was too mushy and weak. It's kinda pricey for that small bottle, but you don't need to use alot per treatment. Definitely worth the cost. :yep:

morehairplease

Add me too, please!

shampoos:
Lanza healing strength
Lanza healing moisture

conditioners:
Lanza healing strength
Lanza healing moisture
Colorful neutral protein filler
Designer Touch equilibrium moisture balance

WesternEyes

So far this week....

WHAT TYPE OF PROTEIN YOU USE?
Nexxus Emergencee, left it on till it got hard then rinsed and conditioned.

HOW YOUR HAIR FEEL ON A SCALE FROM 1-10?
6/7.... Noticed improvement but still have a long way to go.

WHAT CHANGES CAN BE MADE TO ACHIEVE A 10?
I'm going to add a protein shampoo and maybe another mild protein conditioner during the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.