PROTEIN IS MY FRIEND

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtlantaJJ

I never liked the Aphogee 2-step - it left my hair feeling coated and weighed down...Don't even get me started on that so-called "balancing moisturizer"....Ultra Sheen DT is the truth.
Although you and Aggie are relaxed, and I am natural we have very similar hair types and our hair likes the same things.

I am with you on the 2 step its a no go for me! The Ultra Sheen DT makes my hair feel like spun silk with body. I find the same thing that my hair responded to while relaxed hair applies to my natural hair when I straighten it, so the DT will be tops in the rotation when I start straightening regularly.

Thank you Patricia this is a life saver thread! :notworthy

AtlantaJJ

Hello LadyCage,

It is Ultra Sheen Duo Tex - liquid protein conditioner

(I stole this from a blog) :giggle:
http://www.relaxedlongway2grow.com/2008/10/ultrasheen-duo-tex-protein-conditioner.html

Ultrasheen Duo Tex- Protein Conditioner $4.99- 1L/33.8oz Sally Beauty Supply
Ready to use. Adds body to fine, soft hair. Low pH. Protein enriched. Excellent for damaged overprocessed hair. Helps to protect your hair from the stress of today's styles.

Directions: Shampoo hair thoroughly and towel blot. Apply Duo Tex to hair and carefully distribute and lather thoroughly with shampoo comb. Do not massage or tangle hair. Leave on for 10 mins. Rinse well with warm water.
If application is immediately following a chemical service use above instructions and leave treatment on for 3-5 mins only.

Ingredients: Water(Aqua/Eau), Hydrolyzed Collagen, Citric Acid, Polyquaternium-6, Oleth-20, Fragrance(Parfum), Methylparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea, Disodium EDTA, Propylparaben, Tetrasodium EDTA.

My Take: This is a protein conditioner with neutralizing properties. I am by no means saying this is a neutralizer. I love this because it is a liquid. I spray it on. I use this post relaxer and I prefer this to my Motions CPR Reconstructor. It has a nice scent to it. I actually use this during the relaxing process. It has citric acid in it and it's main purpose is for chemical services. It has similar effects/qualities to Roux Porosity Control. It gives me great slip. I love this product.

Aggie

FORGET that two step mess. I would never use that again. We just don't need it. When it works it's great otherwise it can jack your hair up.

Mine hates it! I won't even look at the bottle in the BSS.

Ooooh goodie, I'm not alone.

Awwh Aggie that sucks!:nono: And I was going to buy some of that Aphogee Two Step for my breakage but decided on mixing an egg with my condish. It may work for my hair, dunno, never tried it. But I will stick with the good ol' egg until my hair says differently.

Girl, tgrowe if you are going to get it, try the small bottle first, don't spend money on the large one until you know it would work well for your hair, okay?

SORRY TO HEAR IT DIDN'T WORK OUT. I WAS LOOKING FORWARD TO TRYING SOMETHING DIFFERENT. I'M LIKE YOU DUOTEX REALLY WORKS! ITS BEEN A WHILE SINCE I USED THE 2 MINUTE. I HAVE SO MANY OTHERS TO WORK WITH FOR NOW. UNBELIEVABLE IT SEEMS LIKE IT DIDN'T DO ANYTHING FOR YOUR HAIR. THE 2 STEP TREATMENT IS DEF WATERED DOWN FROM WHEN WE USE TO USE IT BACK IN THE DAY. IT USE TO STINK STINK. NOW IT JUST STINK.[/quote]

You know, I believe you. It's got to be watered down now because it used to work so well for me a long while back. Dang girl it really is just stink now:wallbash:.

Hey all I wanted to know if its safe to mix Aphogee products with K-Pak Joico Deep Penetrating reconstructor? I deep conditioned my hair with K-Pak and then put in the Aphogee leave in and green tea reconstructor after conditioning. Since one uses human protein and animal protein (didnt realize it till later) will there be side effects to the hair because of the mix?

Aggie

I know. I am cracking up at myself too. After posting and posting, I was finally like, "Girl you all up in the thread posting like you're a participant." So I had to fess up and accept the challenge since I am loving me some protein now.
Too funny.:lachen:

:lachen::lachen:This is too funny, girl you ain't in yet?

I never liked the Aphogee 2-step - it left my hair feeling coated and weighed down...Don't even get me started on that so-called "balancing moisturizer"....Ultra Sheen DT is the truth.

Girl I know and I love that Duo Tex. I just thank God I found it in time, thanks to the "My Discovery" thread Patricia started.

The balancing moisturizer ain't worth the money it took to package it. :nono:

Ooooh, you so right:wallbash:.

Aggie

Although you and Aggie are relaxed, and I am natural we have very similar hair types and our hair likes the same things.

I am with you on the 2 step its a no go for me! The Ultra Sheen DT makes my hair feel like spun silk with body. I find the same thing that my hair responded to while relaxed hair applies to my natural hair when I straighten it, so the DT will be tops in the rotation when I start straightening regularly.

I totally agree. Duo Tex for me too. I just hope and pray they don't change the formula and go messin' up a good thing:nono:.

(I stole this from a blog) :giggle:
http://www.relaxedlongway2grow.com/2008/10/ultrasheen-duo-tex-protein-conditioner.html

Ultrasheen Duo Tex- Protein Conditioner $4.99- 1L/33.8oz Sally Beauty Supply
Ready to use. Adds body to fine, soft hair. Low pH. Protein enriched. Excellent for damaged overprocessed hair. Helps to protect your hair from the stress of today's styles.

Directions: Shampoo hair thoroughly and towel blot. Apply Duo Tex to hair and carefully distribute and lather thoroughly with shampoo comb. Do not massage or tangle hair. Leave on for 10 mins. Rinse well with warm water.
If application is immediately following a chemical service use above instructions and leave treatment on for 3-5 mins only.

Ingredients: Water(Aqua/Eau), Hydrolyzed Collagen, Citric Acid, Polyquaternium-6, Oleth-20, Fragrance(Parfum), Methylparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea, Disodium EDTA, Propylparaben, Tetrasodium EDTA.

My Take: This is a protein conditioner with neutralizing properties. I am by no means saying this is a neutralizer. I love this because it is a liquid. I spray it on. I use this post relaxer and I prefer this to my Motions CPR Reconstructor. It has a nice scent to it. I actually use this during the relaxing process. It has citric acid in it and it's main purpose is for chemical services. It has similar effects/qualities to Roux Porosity Control. It gives me great slip. I love this product.

Now this is funny AJJ:lachen:. You stole it:grin:????

Aggie

Hey all I wanted to know if its safe to mix Aphogee products with K-Pak Joico Deep Penetrating reconstructor? I deep conditioned my hair with K-Pak and then put in the Aphogee leave in and green tea reconstructor after conditioning. Since one uses human protein and animal protein (didnt realize it till later) will there be side effects to the hair because of the mix?[/quote]

Good question, I'm not sure about the answer though. However, the Joico really doesn't need any help because it already penetrates all 3 layers of the hair. You may end up with too much protein and hard hair as the result....I'd be careful with it if I were you, perhaps even alternate their usage as opposed to using them both in one sitting.

Hey all I wanted to know if its safe to mix Aphogee products with K-Pak Joico Deep Penetrating reconstructor? I deep conditioned my hair with K-Pak and then put in the Aphogee leave in and green tea reconstructor after conditioning. Since one uses human protein and animal protein (didnt realize it till later) will there be side effects to the hair because of the mix?[/quote]

Good question, I'm not sure about the answer though. However, the Joico really doesn't need any help because it already penetrates all 3 layers of the hair. You may end up with too much protein and hard hair as the result....I'd be careful with it if I were you, perhaps even alternate their usage as opposed to using them both in one sitting.

Thanks alot. Didn't realize it until after I applied them. Currently my hair feels fine, so hope that stays.

gymfreak336

Hey all I wanted to know if its safe to mix Aphogee products with K-Pak Joico Deep Penetrating reconstructor? I deep conditioned my hair with K-Pak and then put in the Aphogee leave in and green tea reconstructor after conditioning. Since one uses human protein and animal protein (didnt realize it till later) will there be side effects to the hair because of the mix?

When you say mix, what exactly do you mean?

Proteins are generally non reactive so using multiple proteins are not going to be an issue in terms of a reaction.

peppers01

Protein is gonna be my bestfriend going forward! I just relaxed my hair yesterday and I rollerset. Now usually when I'm taking my rollers out in the morning, I have a few strands on the rollers, then when I comb the curls down, and when run my fingers through my curls throughout the day. But yesterday after my relaxer, I used the aphogee 2 step protein treatment and today I had literally 2 strands of hair on the rollers and the same when running my fingers through my hair just to check for strength. I was so surprised! Had it not been for the protein recommendations I've been reading, I never would've known.

morehairplease

Stop in weekly after you SHAMPOO AND DC and share

WHAT TYPE OF PROTEIN YOU USE?
HOW YOUR HAIR FEEL ON A SCALE FROM 1-10?
WHAT CHANGES CAN BE MADE TO ACHIEVE A 10?

I deep conditioned with Designer Touch equilibrium moisture balance conditioner for 1 hour without heat and my hair feels like a 10:yep:.

sheba1

Hi Ladies,

I'm a fine 4a natural and I really believe the title of this challenge. I've always had mushy fine hair and never really thought I could do anything with my natural hair because it was so fine and mushy. When I found LHCF, I did my first (and only) hard aphogee treatment and my hair just LOVED it. Stepped shedding, cold. Also, my hair actually gained some body and firmness to it. I was just so proud.

I've since been using megatek for hair growth. Recently, I've invested in some Joico K-Pak reconstructor and some joico moisture recovery for balance. But I wonder if it will be ok to add some "stuff" to this moisture recovery conditioner to make it more intense? Do you think it'd be ok to doctor it up with some amla oil, vatika oil, honey and glycerine without disturbing the effects? I just want to make it more effective as a deep conditioner after the reconstructor. What do you ladies think?

onyxdreams

wow I just read all 20 pages,Ladies yesterday I washed and so much hair cam out I wanted to cry.I thought it was because i'm transitioning but as I read this thread I now realise I'm in need of some protein.I will pick up Emergencee form Nexxus. I have been at a complete lost as to how to help my hair one minute it was growing and then Bam shedding and breakage thin endss.i cut yes cut my hair last moth hoping that would help but yesterday proved It did nothing.This Thread is a an answer to my prayers. Thank you

AtlantaJJ

Hi Ladies,

I'm a fine 4a natural and I really believe the title of this challenge. I've always had mushy fine hair and never really thought I could do anything with my natural hair because it was so fine and mushy. When I found LHCF, I did my first (and only) hard aphogee treatment and my hair just LOVED it. Stepped shedding, cold. Also, my hair actually gained some body and firmness to it. I was just so proud.

I've since been using megatek for hair growth. Recently, I've invested in some Joico K-Pak reconstructor and some joico moisture recovery for balance. But I wonder if it will be ok to add some "stuff" to this moisture recovery conditioner to make it more intense? Do you think it'd be ok to doctor it up with some amla oil, vatika oil, honey and glycerine without disturbing the effects? I just want to make it more effective as a deep conditioner after the reconstructor. What do you ladies think?
:hiya: Another fine haired natural. I don't think it would hurt at all to add glycerin to the Joico Moisture Recovery, I think that's a great idea! Touch of a light oil would't hurt either, I think I'll use jojoba.

I like the way you are thinking...The moisture recovery has protein in it too so that may help tone it down a bit...

sheba1

:hiya: Another fine haired natural. I don't think it would hurt at all to add glycerin to the Joico Moisture Recovery, I think that's a great idea! Touch of a light oil would't hurt either, I think I'll use jojoba.

I like the way you are thinking...The moisture recovery has protein in it too so that may help tone it down a bit...

Thank you for the warm welcome, AtlantaJJ! And thanks for the response. Mmmhmm, some jojoba oil sounds good, too :yep:. Just wanted to kick it up a notch. LOL

Patricia

I know. I am cracking up at myself too. After posting and posting, I was finally like, "Girl you all up in the thread posting like you're a participant." So I had to fess up and accept the challenge since I am loving me some protein now.
Too funny.:lachen:
Its funny cause I kinda thought you joined already! Hey that pretty little DQ:lachen:looking innocent

Patricia

I would love to join!

I'm currently using a balanced conditioner 1-2x a week, I alternate moisture, protein, moisture, protein so it just depends on how it falls. I'm using Hairveda's Moist Condition PRO. I'm waiting on her Methi Recovery System (2 step process) to come out to incorporate that into my reggie. I also have hydrolyzed wheat that I have added to my conditioners and poos. I also put this directly on my ends. Once a month I do a protein tx which consists of Moist Condition PRO, egg, and coconut oil. I also take garlic pills daily. I would rate my hair strength about an 8 right now. Adding that recovery system into my reggie I believe would get me closer to a 10.
Ok Shay Welcome. Never heard of the Methi Recovery System. What is it? Sounds like you on the right track. You must be liking your hair right about now. Keep us posted

Patricia

Of course! Count me in :grin:

WHAT TYPE OF PROTEIN YOU USE? Aphogee baby! I use the 2 Minute Reconstructor, Green Tea Keratin Reconstructorizer and the Vitamin Leave-in. :love:
HOW YOUR HAIR FEEL ON A SCALE FROM 1-10? 10! Here's why: Since I started incorporating the Aphogee products into my regimen, I have achieved stronger yet soft hair that is light, airy and holds a curl. I thought I was going to have to chop about 2 inches off of the ends of my hair, but protein has really improved the overall health. My ends are no longer puffy when straightened, they hold a curl and just look fabulous!
WHAT CHANGES CAN BE MADE TO ACHIEVE A 10? None really. I do make sure that I balance my protein use with moisture though. I don't always use heat, so I alternate my Aphogee products with Nexxus Theratin (poo) & Humectin (con).

Great challenge Patricia!

Oh thats so nice of you to say.:grouphug3:Just hearing that you got your regimine together make me super excited. I'm really feeling good right about now too! Just knowing that I don't have to guess anymore makes me very happy. I got that aphogee green tea and def getting the leave in and going to get me some emergencee. Thats it no more purchasing after that:nono: well I'm going to try

Patricia

Honey thank you . You been there for all of us giving us very good info. Especially dealing with different products. We all need this thread. This is like therapy for me dealing with :band2:the changes my hair been through. I truely know I'm not alone.

Patricia

Good Question. I don't want to tell you wrong. I hope someone come in and have the answer

Patricia

When you say mix, what exactly do you mean?

Proteins are generally non reactive so using multiple proteins are not going to be an issue in terms of a reaction.
OK OK UMMMMM I HAD A LOT OF UNANSWERED QUESTIONS. WISH I COULD THINK OF THEM. I GUESS I'M GETTING OLD. ANYWAY THANK YOU FOR COMING TO THE RESCUE!:woot:GYMFREAK.

Patricia

Protein is gonna be my bestfriend going forward! I just relaxed my hair yesterday and I rollerset. Now usually when I'm taking my rollers out in the morning, I have a few strands on the rollers, then when I comb the curls down, and when run my fingers through my curls throughout the day. But yesterday after my relaxer, I used the aphogee 2 step protein treatment and today I had literally 2 strands of hair on the rollers and the same when running my fingers through my hair just to check for strength. I was so surprised! Had it not been for the protein recommendations I've been reading, I never would've known.
THAT THE REASON I STARTED MY ORIGINAL THREAD (MY DISCOVERY) I WAS HOPING I COULD STOP SOMEONE FROM MAKING THE SAME MISTAKES I DID. Your hair looks good in your siggy:yep:. Stop in and let us know how your products are working for you. Very happy to hear you only had a couple strands lost. Let me know if you want to join?

Patricia

:lachen::lachen:This is too funny, girl you ain't in yet?

I know. I was bootlegging like crazy too. Hopefully I've been added. It's all good. I'm going to be all in this thread like crust on bread anyway.
OMG it seems like when I read your post I can hear you talk:lachen:. We bout to put u on stage wit steve harvey. U halarious(i can't spell):lachen:

Last edited:

Patricia

Hi Ladies,

Yes glad to hear the 2 step worked for you. I have not used the moisture recovery but I'm sure someone with more insight will give you the answer.
Be sure to let us know how the joico brand work for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.