Protein, Many Types of it....

plzgrow

Here is a handy guide for understanding the different types of protein products.

All proteins are strengthening proteins to some degree but here are the more specific characteristics of these proteins:

Collagen Protein--known for increasing elasticity in the hair

Silk Protein--known for softening the hair

Wheat Protein--a moisturizing and strengthening protein. known for increasing the hair's ability to maintain & receive moisture also.

Keratin Protein--responsible for keeping the hair strong and pliable. This is the strongest of the(hair product) proteins and is actually the one that hair is made from. This one re-structures hair that has been damaged or broken down by chemicals. It helps to replace the amino acid cysteine which is the main one lost during chemical processing. This is the heavy duty protein. If you see the following as an ingredient

*Vegetable protein -- Vegetable protein absorbs more easily into the hair shaft [than animal protein] and does not create build-up, leaves the hair very shiny, radiant, luxuriant, and healthy.

*Animal protein -- Animal protein breaks down into fatty acids, which coat the hair and create residual build-up.

Silk Amino Acids/Protein--Natural silk is the strongest, natural fiber known to mankind. Discovered in Japan and has been used for centuries in all kinds of products that require durability. Silk has a tiny molecule that can penetrate the entire hair shaft deeper than all other proteins without adding any weight leaving the hair feeling clean and non-greasy

plzgrow

Keratin protein More Indept:

*a) Keratin protein--this will re-structure and strengthen the hair cuticle (the outer layer only & the most important layer)

The keratin in some reconstructors should not leave your hair hard like the Aphogee Treatment for damaged hair (which contains hydrolyzed animal protein). This treatment hardens on your hair for a reason and is used with mild heat. A moisturizing conditioner is a must with this in order to soften like Keracare's humecto.

Reconstructors that contain keratin and other proteins are supposed to have enough moisture to soften the hair therefore leaving your hair with a nice protein/moisture balance."

* Hydrolyzed Keratin Protein or Keratin Amino Acids--this means that the Keratin molecules have been broken down and are small enough to go beyond the cuticle and penetrate the hair shaft. It will strengthen all 3 layers of the hair. That is why the term "deep conditioning" technically only refers to this kind of treatment using penetrating proteins.

*c) Hydrolyzed Human Hair Keratin--This is an exact match for the keratin your hair has (or has lot due to chemical processing). This is the highest quality and most potent keratin that can be used in hair products.

Synthia

I first thought this was going to be yet another thread about protein treatments.

Boy, I'm so glad I was wrong.

I never knew the difference between these proteins.

This is amazing knowledge to have. My hair is strong, but I think I'll add some more collagen for elasticity.

Great info.

face_beater

Greetings Ladies...

I'm new to the boards and I find so much of your info very informative.:)
I'll post more, once I learn how to use this site.:ohwell:

Peace..love..and light..

S.

tallygirl

Right-on-time information....I have been wondering about the different kind of proteins, but have been too darn lazy to do my own research....:lol:

chocobunny38

Wow, this is so informative!! Thanks so much for posting it, i'm printing it out right now. By the way, where did you get the info from? Just curious.

MizaniMami

lea5 said:
Can someone give an product example of silk amino acid/protein? TIA

in the ingredient list it usually just says silk amino acids. but they are very small so it that is listed to far down the list, they can't cling to the hair properly.

2themax

Here is a handy guide for understanding the different types of protein products.

All proteins are strengthening proteins to some degree but here are the more specific characteristics of these proteins:

Collagen Protein--known for increasing elasticity in the hair

Silk Protein--known for softening the hair

Wheat Protein--a moisturizing and strengthening protein. known for increasing the hair's ability to maintain & receive moisture also.

Keratin Protein--responsible for keeping the hair strong and pliable. This is the strongest of the(hair product) proteins and is actually the one that hair is made from. This one re-structures hair that has been damaged or broken down by chemicals. It helps to replace the amino acid cysteine which is the main one lost during chemical processing. This is the heavy duty protein. If you see the following as an ingredient

*Vegetable protein -- Vegetable protein absorbs more easily into the hair shaft [than animal protein] and does not create build-up, leaves the hair very shiny, radiant, luxuriant, and healthy.

*Animal protein -- Animal protein breaks down into fatty acids, which coat the hair and create residual build-up.

Silk Amino Acids/Protein--Natural silk is the strongest, natural fiber known to mankind. Discovered in Japan and has been used for centuries in all kinds of products that require durability. Silk has a tiny molecule that can penetrate the entire hair shaft deeper than all other proteins without adding any weight leaving the hair feeling clean and non-greasy

What about Soy Protein???

me-T

bump!

just wondering if a list of products could be compiled for each type of protein pretty please?

Muse

bump!

just wondering if a list of products could be compiled for each type of protein pretty please?

That's a good idea. I do know Joico products(Moisture Recovery and the KPak line) have human hair keratin. But I would like to know what products have high collagen content.

ebonylocs

This thread bump is right on time. I was just going to do a search for this very breakdown. I agree that it would be great to have a list of products under each protein. Like another poster, I'm interested in collagen protein for elasticity.

I also want to know, is keratin protein necessary for everyone at least occasionally? Because, although my hair needs protein, keratin prods sometimes makes it hard and difficult to detangle, while silk amino acids, for example, make it so soft. So the question is, is any other type of protein a true replacement for keratin when it gets down to the crunch and you need to fill those gaps in your hair?