Protein/Moisture Balance???

ttlayli

keep reading threads about how its important to have a balance between protein and moisture...
:perplexed

Yes, I'm still confused. :lachen:

I honestly don't know how I'm supp. to know which is which. The only thing I look for is a good condish! :rolleyes:

I'm using ORS Replenshing Pak Condish...for the past two washed have mixed in NTM Relaxed and Natural Mask. I dunno if I have a right balance of moisture/protein....

For slow people like me :lachen:, what do you ladies use to have that perfect balance of protein and moisture???

lboogie2679

This is a constant struggle for me. I'm always inspecting my hair and trying to decide if I need a protein or moisturinzing shampoo, if I should follow up with a protein or moisturizing conditioner. My resolution is to not sweat the small stuff. I am dealing with serious hair drama right now so that's why I worry so much.

ttlayli

This is a constant struggle for me. I'm always inspecting my hair and trying to decide if I need a protein or moisturinzing shampoo, if I should follow up with a protein or moisturizing conditioner. My resolution is to not sweat the small stuff. I am dealing with serious hair drama right now so that's why I worry so much.

Yeah I know what u mean...it's just that I heard that if you have the correct balance then your hair will get in much better condition...

Moroni

I found out quickly that my hair HATES hard protein, so I henna weekly, and add avocado and coconut milk and I use molasses with banana weekly. Since I add SAA to each of my DCs, and I DC almost every time I wet my hair, I haven't had any problem with the moisture/protein balance, and my hair has been happy. I think that my inclusion of vegetable proteins (henna/avocado/molasses...) in my reggie has precluded any m/p balance questions for me....at least that's what I've convinced myself! :lachen:

Gemini350z

I tend to do a light protien treatment once a week, using jocio reconstructing line. I co-wash every other day with a moisturizing condish (Kenra, silicon mix, Jocio-blue bottle). And I also use Indian powders and oil. Since doing these things all breakage has stopped for me, and I no longer have little broken hairs all over the bathroom floor.

I believe it is trial and error, and it takes some time to understand what your hair likes and what it does not like. What might work for one might not work for another.

SleepyJean

I found out quickly that my hair HATES hard protein, so I henna weekly, and add avocado and coconut milk and I use molasses with banana weekly. Since I add SAA to each of my DCs, and I DC almost every time I wet my hair, I haven't had any problem with the moisture/protein balance, and my hair has been happy. I think that my inclusion of vegetable proteins (henna/avocado/molasses...) in my reggie has precluded any m/p balance questions for me....at least that's what I've convinced myself! :lachen:

henne henna henna!! That's all I've heard about. I thought it was suppose to color the hair. Why is everyone getting these other side effects?? :perplexed

ttlayli

I tend to do a light protien treatment once a week, using jocio reconstructing line. I co-wash every other day with a moisturizing condish (Kenra, silicon mix, Jocio-blue bottle). And I also use Indian powders and oil. Since doing these things all breakage has stopped for me, and I no longer have little broken hairs all over the bathroom floor.

I believe it is trial and error, and it takes some time to understand what your hair likes and what it does not like. What might work for one might not work for another.

Hmmmm...do the Indian Powders and oil count as moisture, becuz I just recently started using them??? I have heard great things about both Kenra and Silicon Mix so maybe I should give them a try.....

Extremus

light protein (aphogee 2 min reconstructor) weekly- whenever there's midshaft, short haired breakage

DC weekly, moisturize every other day = whenever it feels dry, brittle & looks dull

Gemini350z

Amla is conditioning, Shikaki is more for cleansing. I use them to seal moisturizer into my hair. Use them consistently you will notice a difference. They really do work!
Hmmmm...do the Indian Powders and oil count as moisture, becuz I just recently started using them??? I have heard great things about both Kenra and Silicon Mix so maybe I should give them a try.....

Tracy

I'm big on a protein moisture balance. I discovered the importance years ago when I began coloring my hair.

The difference for me is simple: I use conditioners with varying kinds of protein high on the ingredient list when I want to add strength, shine, bulk and fortification to my hair.

Ingredients that qualify in the protein category include things like from hydrolyzed animal protein, wheat protein, lecithin, panthenol, any kind of "amino acids" and the like. Supergirl has an excellent post on here from long ago where she broke down all the varying strengths of different KINDS of proteins (and I choose deliberately among these as well to the get exactly the level of fortification I want right then).

When I feel like my hair lacks softness, feels brittle, seems to be snapping off more than usual, or generally feels rough and abraded, I go for conditioners with little to no protein ingredients and focus on those with moisturizing ingredients - things like fatty alcohols, glycerin, silicones, natural ingredients that contain fatty acids (coconut, avocado, olive oils) etc.

To maintain a balance I either rotate my protein and moisture conditioners on a regular schedule. For more targeted attention, I go by how my hair feels. If it feels mushy (like chewing gum) seems to resist holding a curl, and just generally seems "tired" I add some protein. If my hair feels like hay, I add some moisture.

Simple sammy! :yep:

Britt

Hiiiiii ! :wave:...
Didn't come to post anything substantial just wanted to say hi :lol:.
I also just came to the realization that I can use my Salerm Balsam conditoner as a mild protein. I wondered why my hair feels a little stronger after I use it and it feels like silk when it's rinsed out... the ingredients list Hydrolzed Collagen, so maybe that's where that feel comes from.

MariposaSexyGirl

Well I think first you should be able to look at products and be able to understand whats in the ingredients. There are hard protein products, light protein products, and moisture products. Also pay attention to what products have cones in them as too many or any(if your hair doesn't like them) at all can be drying.Make sure your careful with using oils they can also block out moisture if not used properly. This is what I've learned from here so far.

karezone

My hair loves protein. So I use it every time I wash my hair, my favorite is Aphogee Intensive Two Minute Keratin Reconstructor, I just mix it in with my regular conditioner.