Protein/non Protein products

thinbreaksUk

Hi all,

I am at my wits end i'm 4b natural and my hair is hard and dry and I have no idea why as I have no idea which products I have are proteins and which are non protein moisturisers.

I have silicon mix, lustrasilk shea, porosity control shampoo and conditioner, infusium 23 for limp hair, Silk elements deep conditoner, 10 en 1 treatment, aphogee 2 step treatment, Queen helenes garlic shampoo, hello hydration, glycerine, organic coconut oil, rusk hair smoother etc (product junky anyone???)

I don't use all of these things at once lol but any treatment I do use I usually finish by applying glycerine and coconut oil to my damp hair and twisting to let air dry. If I dry with a hand held hair dryer my hair just feels rough.

Does anyone have any suggestions? also is there a definitive list of which products are proteins and which are non protein moisturisers? I think this would really help other newbies like me.

Thanks in advance

thinbreaksUk

Ok here is the begining of the list form what I have found in other threads

Conditioners:
AO Island Naturals (protein)
AO GPB (protein)

Please feel free to add

Sequoia

Did a search and gymfreak336 posted a list of light/ heavy protein cons

Generally speaking, the darker, the more liquid, and the stinkier a protein product is, the stronger it is.

Light....many of these are more medium strength if you add heat

Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor
Redken Extreme conditioner
Joico Kpak daily conditioner
Paul Mitchell hair repair
Duo Tex- there is a thread about this floating around, Supergirl gave a tip on how to use it
Aubrey Organics GPB
Smooth and shine silk fusion reconstructor
Mane and Tail
Mega-Tek
Elasta qp breakage control serum
Nexxus Keraphix
Palmers Coconut conditioner packet
ORS Replehishing conditioner- very mild, good balance of moisture and protein
ORS Mayo- if you add the egg under their intensive directions, it will make it more heavy
Proclaim Tea Tree reconstructor
TIGI dumb blonde conditioner
Motions CPR( in the bottle)
Motions CPR (in the jar)- a little stronger than the above, to me atleast

Heavy

Dudleys DRC
Nexxus Emergencee- used the old way
Joico Reconstructor
Aphogee Treatment for damaged hair
Loreal Hair Repair kit- comes in a blue box from sallys

Some moisturising conditioners I can think of:
Nexxus Humectress
Keracare Humecto
Aubreys Organics Honeysuckle Rose

Another thread that I found quite useful, just for your general info is -
Protein in The Ingredients Does Not Necessarily Mean It's A Protein Conditioner
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=92906

Last edited:

thinbreaksUk

Thanks so much Sequoia I have been in and out of threads all day and have protein brain freeze lol

I'm hoping that this will a one stop shop for info on this maybe if there is enough info in it it can be made a sticky coz if there are more people like me out there and I know there are we need to get this protein/moisture balance right before we can get on to the business of healthy growing right???

Sequoia

Thanks so much Sequoia I have been in and out of threads all day and have protein brain freeze lol

I'm hoping that this will a one stop shop for info on this maybe if there is enough info in it it can be made a sticky coz if there are more people like me out there and I know there are we need to get this protein/moisture balance right before we can get on to the business of healthy growing right???

You're welcome, there is a lot of info and a lot to learn. IIRC, there were some stickies of support threads and stuff but they seem to be gone now.