Protein overload - VENT

Britt

So, I took it upon myself to deviate from my regimen and try the Aphogee 2 step treatment last Thursday. After I washed it out and deep conditioned w/ Kenra (my beloved) I realized that my hair felt incredibly stiff and not as soft/pliable. I knew that I had protein overload and just figured that I wouldn't use it again and that I'd deep condition again a few days later and the problem would be alleviated. Well, I washed and deep conditioned w/ Kenra again and when I tried to rollerset my hair it felt sooo hard, my strands are rough, I lost a bit more hair than usual during my rollerset, and I could feel the roughness and I put the comb through my hair :sad: :nono: . I was a bit upset, but at least I learned... stick to what works and that's that. I will just continue along w/ my Nexuss Emergencee. I hope my hair's moisture balance is restored soon.

PrincessLinzz

Hey,

Sorry about your experience. I'm still protein confused, and I don't know much. But I have read numerous posts that say after the protein treatment you should follow up with a moisturizing conditioner...I guess there is always next time...

India*32

Sorry to hear that. Don't you hate that? As you stated, stick with what works no more no less. Just keep drinking that water and moisturizing your hair.

India

CarolinaGal

I'm so sorry you had a bad protein experience. Do you think an overnight DC would help? I'm sure your hair will bounce back soon. Good luck and HHG!

Britt

Thanks ladies, I'm just going to continue deep conditioning w/ a moisturizing conditioner prob maybe 2x a week until my hair really bounces back.

Adaoba2012

See, this is what makes me soooo afraid to try those "hard core" protein treatments. I've found that using a mild protein every wash day works fine for me. I hope your hair is able to fully bounce back and please continue to do what has been working!

gissellr78

That happened to me when i tried Aphogee 2 step.It is very strong and left my hair so hard and rough even after i used the balance conditioner and deep conditioned for an hour:wallbash:

But your hair will bounce back. Just keep deep conditioning

I will stick to my nexxus:yawn:

chebaby

maybe kenra isnt moisturizing enough after something so strong. can you try something with more natural ingredients so you know its penetraiting? add some oil and honey in it as well.

hair4romheaven

If you can stand wearing a wig for a few days this may help...after you DC with a moisturizing DC mixed with an oil that penetrates the shaft dry hair and corn row or braid your hair. while its braided you can moisturize, seal and baggy at night not every night but baggy every other night until moisture balance is restored. While wearing the wig you still want to moisturize daily. HTH

poookie

aphogee is a hardcore protein. you must deep condition with a deep conditioner afterwards (preferably with heat, and at least for half an hour), or your hair will still feel hard. please don't rule out a good product just because you had one bad experience with it; aphogee is amazing when used correctly.

i aphogee 1x a month, deep condition with aubrey organics, and it's really helped my transition move along quickly. i have next to no breakage.

Mook's hair

Thanks ladies, I'm just going to continue deep conditioning w/ a moisturizing conditioner prob maybe 2x a week until my hair really bounces back.

Yeah, just keep doing that and it will bounce back.
It sounds like you're protein sensitive. (I am too) my hair hates that apHogee JUNK!

But...if you ever decide to try protein again I suggest silk protein. Silk Amino Acids. My hair loves those!

sharifeh

I'm sorry! At least you know what you have to do from now on. Try a hot oil treatment as well! That helps with moisture too!

I'm dealing with breakage lately and I've been flirting with the idea of doing the two step.

bajanplums1

you can try mixing your protein conditioner with your moisturizing conditoner in a 2:1 ratio. When I do that, I just deep con once and it feels good.

Lola28

Do a couple of co-washes with a moisturizing con, or even aussie moist or herbal essences for a couple of days. Then follow up with your poo and dc afterward for your wash day.

Glamorous_chic

i found out the hard way my hair hates protein, when i tried the aphogee 2 minute. i looked in the sink and hair strands were everywhere. i followed up with a moisturizing deep conditioner and a leave in, but my hair broke off and was shedding for about a month after. :-( i can't use anything with protein, or my hair breaks off immediately. sadly that was how i found out not to use protein in any of my products. but, lesson learned. use what works for you, not everyone else.

JJamiah

I had protein overload this morning, I did multiple moisturizers until it stopped breaking off. I was giving my hair a pre-relaxer treatment. I figure the little breakage I get now will prevent big damage come Saturday. Maybe next time I will try the 2 minute before my relaxer.