Protein Overload

zoj2

I'm pretty sure I have just overloaded my hair with protein. It is very hard and brittle and it usually is not like this. Last week I did put Aphogee's 2 min reconstructor, then a few days later I was stuck in the rain at 3 am so when I got back to my room I was too tired to do anything so I just slathered some MNT conditioner wrapped my hair up and went to sleep. Yesterday i washed my hair and used the MNT conditioner as a leave-in and today my hair is very hard. Any suggestions as to what I can do to relieve this. Should I just continue moisturizing and lay off the protein for a while? Is there anything I can do immediately to restore softness? Thanks!

MomofThreeBoys

CO wash and do a deep conditioner with your most moisturizing conditioner ASAP! Leave it in w/heat for at least 45 minutes.

HTH

zoj2

thanks, quick question tho, I use suave milk and honey or suave humectant for my CO wash, both have protein and now im deathly afraid of protein! Should I still use them for CO washes?

MomofThreeBoys

No, use something that doesn't have protein. Thoroughly rinse your hair with water and be liberal with your deep conditioner if you don't have anything else.

zoj2 said:
thanks, quick question tho, I use suave milk and honey or suave humectant for my CO wash, both have protein and now im deathly afraid of protein! Should I still use them for CO washes?

ydbaldock

MNT is a light conditioner, but even light products can get cakey and leave build-up on your hair. I think you may have build-up and you need more moisturizers in your hair.

Here is my suggestion:

Shampoo you hair again with the MNT original shampoo to remove the build-up. Use the MNT conditioner as a leave-in, but use some oil (Sweet Almond Oil, Coconut Oil, or Extra Virgin Olive Oil) and S-Curl Curl Activator No Drip Formula as well.

If you think you need to reapply MNT conditioner after your hair is dry, rinse your hair with water first. Be sure to use oils and S-Curl when you reapply the MNT.

I hope this helps!

ydbaldock

Others may disagree with me ,but I think that rain water has a lot of salt in it (just like sweat from exercising) and it is just as bad or even worse than water with clorine. Salt water and pool water will definitely dry your hair. You will need to shampoo again to get the salt out of your hair.

Last edited:

Ginsana

This is EXACTLY what happened to me about 2 weeks ago. I've been nursing my hair back to its normal state since then by doing conditioner washes and using my olive oil mixture all through my hair. Its working for me. I also purchased some NTM silk leave in cream and its helped my hair ALOT. I made a post about this same problem before. I was so scared because I had pieces of my hair, the ends actually coming out from being so brittle. I wish you the best in restoring your hair because I know how it is :)

balisi

ydbaldock said:
MNT is a light conditioner, but even light products can get cakey and leave build-up on your hair. I think you may have build-up and you need more moisturizers in your hair.

Here is my suggestion:

Shampoo you hair again with the MNT original shampoo to remove the build-up. Use the MNT conditioner as a leave-in, but use some oil (Sweet Almond Oil, Coconut Oil, or Extra Virgin Olive Oil) and S-Curl Curl Activator No Drip Formula as well.

If you think you need to reapply MNT conditioner after your hair is dry, rinse your hair with water first. Be sure to use oils and S-Curl when you reapply the MNT.

I hope this helps!
I would advise against using MNT in this situation if you're referring to Mane 'N Tail. Both the shampoo and conditioner contain protein.

ydbaldock

IMO, MNT does not have enough protein to cause extreme dryness such as Infusium 23 Leave-in. She won't have a problem as long as she uses about a dollar-size amount (less than a tablespoon) and mositurizes with oil and S-Curl. I am a type 4A. I would not suggest something that has not worked for me. MNT actually leaves my hair soft. This may not work for type 3a, 3b, or 3c.

balisi said:
I would advise against using MNT in this situation if you're referring to Mane 'N Tail. Both the shampoo and conditioner contain protein.

Last edited:

Bmm

zoj2 said:
I'm pretty sure I have just overloaded my hair with protein. It is very hard and brittle and it usually is not like this. Last week I did put Aphogee's 2 min reconstructor, then a few days later I was stuck in the rain at 3 am so when I got back to my room I was too tired to do anything so I just slathered some MNT conditioner wrapped my hair up and went to sleep. Yesterday i washed my hair and used the MNT conditioner as a leave-in and today my hair is very hard. Any suggestions as to what I can do to relieve this. Should I just continue moisturizing and lay off the protein for a while? Is there anything I can do immediately to restore softness? Thanks!

I would run buy some Neutrogena Triple Moisture daily shampoo & conditioner. after shampooing Apply an ample amount of condtioner and sit under dryer for an half hour to 45 min...I swear your hair will feel like silk afterwards. You might also want to do a pre poo treatment before washing. using some evoo mixed with water or any oil you already have mixed with water... this poo&con is very cheap and worth the price.

this should help a a lot.

carletta

balisi said:
If they contain any type of protein, I wouldn't take the chance.

DITTO ! I would use some neutrogena triple moisture condtioning mask & silk touch leave in. For me " That stuff works wonders !!!!" :grin:

baglady215

Agreed... you need moisture. Also, as ydbaldock pointed out, it could be the rain water as well. Good luck!

BAILEYSCREAM

Just keep using moisturizing products. Conditioner, moisturizer and use oils. If you have a heat cap or steamer etc use it with your conditioner and soon your hair will be fine. Lay off all products containing protein because although they make your hair very strong, they also make the hair hard.

zoj2

Thanks ladies, this is very helpful. I'm definately going to lay off the protein and do a braidout using my Dark and Lovely products (I don't have any NTM) so that I have very little maniupation until my hair is restored. I think it was the MNT conditioner that just added fuel to the fire because as soon as I added it my hair was stiff and I could barely run a comb through it!!!

bajanplums1

Mane and Tail advertises its high protein content, thus the aphogee 2 min + MNT was overload. After the aphogee 2 minute use a pure moisturizing product. I use Aphogee 2 minute and i follow it with DPR-11 by qp elasta which has NO protein whatsoever. during the week continue to moisturize, scurl mixed with an oil is a good suggestion. i use wgo mixed with bb oil moisturixer.

I also just began using MNT but only on my ends. you'll be fine, i have been there too with protein overload. ;)

ydbaldock

bajanplums1, where did you see the advertisement? :confused:

I searched the Straight Arrow website (http://www.straightarrowinc.com/products/animals/home.asp) to find the percentage of protein in the Mane 'N Tale. I could not find it. So I emailed an inquiry to the Mane 'N Tale Consumer Affairs. They replied as follows:

Subject: Re: Straight Arrow Customer Inquiries Form
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 11:25:52 -0400

Yolanda,
Percentages of our ingredients is proprietary formula information, which we do not disclose.

Diane Heffentrager
Consumer Affairs
Straight Arrow Products, Inc.
800-827-9815 Ext # 136
FAX 610-882-9688

bajanplums1 said:
Mane and Tail advertises its high protein content...

Last edited:

ChocoKitty

I suggest conditioning your hair with a mixture of honey with whatever conditioner you have--even if it's MnT. I know it may sound crazy but it has worked for me. I wish you the best!

bajanplums1

ydbaldock said:
bajanplums1, where did you see the advertisement? :confused:

http://www.manentail.com/products/personal/conditioner.asp

On this link, the first paragraph reads:
Exclusive protein enriched formula fortifies the hair shaft preventing breakage and split ends

I don't know what the % is. Now I use Mane and Tail COnditioner AFTER I use Aphogee 2 Minute Keratin Reconstructor, but in between I use DPR-11, Deep Penetrating Remoisturizer-11 which contains ZERO protein.

My point to you was you might want to try a pure moisturizing product after the Keratin.

AceH

I would do a hot oil treatment (hot six oil is really good)

Then I would do a conditioner wash.

Add moisturizing product to hair and put in protective style -- keeping hair moisturized until you shampoo next time.

For your next shampoo, I would shampoo with moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. I suggest Neutrogena Triple Moisture

ydbaldock

You and I will have to agree to disagree. :ohwell:

I have tried numerous types of protein products. I can tell how much protein a product has by how dry it leaves my hair. I'm sorry, but MNT conditioner does not leave your hair dry. It actually leaves it feeling soft when you include a moisturizer.

In the past, I have tried Aphogee 2 Minute Keratin Reconstructor and I have tried Aphogee Treatment for Damaged Hair. I have to say Aphogee 2 Minute Keratin Reconstructor isn't all that strong to me either. It is the Aphogee Treatment for Damaged Hair that is very strong.

Since you use MNT, why not try it as a leave-in without out the DPR-11? You will be pleasantly surprised! Of course, you will have to moisturize with oils and S-Curl (or your favorite moisture-retaining type product that does not contain petroleum or mineral oil).

bajanplums1 said:
http://www.manentail.com/products/personal/conditioner.asp

On this link, the first paragraph reads:
Exclusive protein enriched formula fortifies the hair shaft preventing breakage and split ends

I don't know what the % is. Now I use Mane and Tail COnditioner AFTER I use Aphogee 2 Minute Keratin Reconstructor, but in between I use DPR-11, Deep Penetrating Remoisturizer-11 which contains ZERO protein.

My point to you was you might want to try a pure moisturizing product after the Keratin.

bajanplums1

ydbaldock said:
You and I will have to agree to disagree. :ohwell:

I have tried numerous types of protein products. I can tell how much protein a product has by how dry it leaves my hair. I'm sorry, but MNT conditioner does not leave your hair dry. It actually leaves it feeling soft when you include a moisturizer.

In the past, I have tried Aphogee 2 Minute Keratin Reconstructor and I have tried Aphogee Treatment for Damaged Hair. I have to say Aphogee 2 Minute Keratin Reconstructor isn't all that strong to me either. It is the Aphogee Treatment for Damaged Hair that is very strong.

Since you use MNT, why not try it as a leave-in without out the DPR-11? You will be pleasantly surprised! Of course, you will have to moisturize with oils and S-Curl (or your favorite moisture-retaining type product that does not contain petroleum or mineral oil).

That's fine you certainly know your hair better than I do. However, you posted your problem for advise, this was my opinion that could be the source of your problem, you certainly do not have to listen. My intentions were to help you. If you are defensive, I will be sure not to respond to your posts in the future to avoid this kind of dialogue.

Last edited:

zoj2

bajanplums1 said:
That's fine you certainly know your hair better than I do. However, you posted your problem for advise, this was my opinion that could be the source of your problem, you certainly do not have to listen. My intentions were to help you. If you are defensive, I will be sure not to respond to your posts in the future to avoid this kind of dialogue.

I think you have me confused, I posted the problem originally and took everyone's posts into consideration.

Atiramisu

Zoj2 -- Hi... :) I think I started out using MNT as a leave in and then decided it was too much on a daily basis, but I absolutely swear by the MNT Moisturizing Shampoo/Extra Moisturizing Conditioner as a combo. If I use these 2 products together (without anything in between) I have absolutely no tangles at all and combout is effortless.

I agree with the extra moisturizing... I've just started the Extra Virgin Olive Oil pre-shampoo treatment -- I drench my hair in EVOO and put it in a ponytail scrunchie and leave it on for a couple of hours. After a few hours, my hair soaks up the EVOO. I then rinse it and follow up with a deep condition with Humectress (or another moisturizing deep conditioner) under the dryer for about 20-30 minutes. I then follow with the MNT combo so I'm only shampooing 1x and ending with MNT EM Conditioner.

Since joining LCHF I've overloaded my cabinet with all kinds of conditioners and I've decided to just use all of these up as pre-treatments, but I've been trying out different moisturizing conditioners... I purchased Aussie Moist but I don't care for the scent, so I'll use it as a preconditioner or conditioner wash, along with the many others I've "sampled." :p -- My son's hair seemed to like NTM which worked great on his natural hair, but didn't seem to give much slip on my relaxed hair -- whereas MNT didn't have the same slip on his hair as it does on mine... it just goes to show that we all have to find products that work best on our hair and not everyone will have the same results.

Two other discoveries I'll share -- I'm purchasing a Table Top Hair Steamer, which I learned about through some of the LCHF threads -- Steamers offer deep conditioning treatment and I think it will practically pay for itself in a short while, considering a deep conditioning with my stylist is an add'l $10 every visit. (The steamer is $94) And, I swore I wouldn't buy anymore hair products, :D , but I bought Pantene Smoothing Creme and it worked wonders on my new growth 7 weeks post relaxer --- I am amazed by how straight and smooth my hair feels after using it and NTM Silk Leave-in after my last wash.

We have to remember that we are all in this together. We shouldn't be offended if someone offers advice that doesn't suit our own situation NOR be offended if our advice doesn't seem well-taken... It's very easy to misinterpret each other's messages through the posts sometimes.

All this to say I've learned so much from all of you here and I appreciate what you have to say and we should remember that our hearts are in the right place.. no? :violin:

~AT

zoj2

Thank you ladies for all your wonderful advice. I think it's amazing how much feedback I get from a single post. I mean who needs hairdressers when you all provide the best instructions and information! :bouncy:

LaRobinWolfe76

I can understand your frustration.My hair is about 26 inches long and I used to put alot of protien and conditioners in my hair because I was told that African American hair needed extra time and heat applied and I did all that to find out later that it actually caused my hair to become overprocessed.My hair was long but it was brittle and hard this is my new regimen.

I wash my hair weekly on the very first shampoo after a relaxer I use:

Nexxus Aloe Rid (using only to wash out Salon products)
Nexxus Botanoil Shampoo (every shampoo)
Aveda Deep Penetrating Conditioner (Using only every 5 shampoos)
Infusium 23 Leave in Conditioner (every shampoo)

I allow my hair to air dry on subsequent shampoos I use the Nexxus Botanoil Shampoo and I replace the Aveda Deep Penetrating Conditioner with Nexxus Humectant(all other shampoos) or Nexxus Keraphix (once a month)

I do not really put heat in my hair but when I do I use a Ceramic Gold N Hot Iron and my stylist uses a Wigo Blow Dryer to Blow my hair out.I don't use a lot of oils and moisturizers.I get most of my moisture from the Nexxus Bontanoil Shampoo but twice a week I use Keracare Essential Oils and only if I'm applying heat to my hair I use Dudley's Aroma Oil which protects hair from thermal heat.

I also eat a diet high in protien and vegetables. I take spirulina,grape seed extract and sometimes a multi vitamin.I don't drink any sodas or caffeine.I drink lots of water.

bajanplums1

zoj2 said:
I think you have me confused, I posted the problem originally and took everyone's posts into consideration.
oh ok. my message is for the person I quoted. sorry for the confusion.