Protein overload

Schakiaw

So I post a thread earlier and Im hearing Im a have protein overload .. So what can I do to stop the breaking from the protein overload and retain my length back because my hair is breaking off
So bad..I use some cantu she butter Daily moisturizer today and it seem to stop a little bit .. Should I just use more moisturizer daily

Last edited:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Clarify your hair and use a moisturizing deep conditioner. Try alternating protein and moisture at each wash

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Product suggestions ladies?

I'd recommend Aubrey Organics Rosa Mosqueta. Expensive but it nourishes damaged hair well.

Kentmane

So I post a thread earlier and Im hearing Im a have protein overload .. So what can I do to stop the breaking from the protein overload and retain my length back because my hair is breaking off
So bad..I use some cantu she butter Daily moisturizer today and it seem to stop a little bit .. Should I just use more moisturiser daily

Hi Schakiaw,

Something that help was full head baggying (aka GHE) overnight for 2 days helped me.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
Just my two cents, I wouldn't assume protein overload based on your other thread.

Try doing a moisturizing treatment first like the Chicoro's pre-poo treatment (aloe Vera gel and a mix of oils first) and/OR using a nice deep moisture DC first, see if that fixes the issue then adjust your Reggie based on the results. Incremental adjustments can help you nail down the root cause better than drastic changes IMHO.

JaneBond007

Clarifying dry hair? Maybe use whichever moisturizing conditioner you have in stock after regular shampooing and steam that in over a plastic cap with a wet, hot towel.

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
So bad..I use some cantu she butter Daily moisturizer today and it seem to stop a little bit .. Should I just use more moisturizer daily

Cantu Shea butter is a protein moisturizer! Stop using that crap!
You need to add moisture that doesn't have Protein in it. I use WN (Wave Nouveau) Finishing Mist

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Adding salt to your conditioner helps with protein overload. I have a blog post about this topic if you're interested.

Schakiaw

I really don't understand how it could possibly be a protein overload when I only got one protein treatment which was 2 weeks ago .. I will clarify and DC it tomorrow .. I thought maybe the dye was breaking off my hair and that I need a protein treatment

Schakiaw

And after clarifying the hair should I get
A protein treatment or no because isn't the clarifying gonna leave it dry ?

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
And after clarifying the hair should I get
A protein treatment or no because isn't the clarifying gonna leave it dry ?

Yes after a clarifying shampoo you will need to follow up with a good deep conditioner treatment. Preferably something with moisture.