Protein Queens: Challenge

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint

CoilyArielBrowe

Hair (type, length, porosity, density)
4A/4B, APL, Low/Medium Porosity, Medium Density

What kind of proteins will you be using?

Hydrolyzed wheat/soy , Silk Amino Acids,

What products containing protein will you be using?
ApHogee 2 Step and 2 minute, ORS Mayonnaise Protein Conditioner, Mielle Organics Babassu Oil Mint, SSI Okra Reconstructor, Inahsi Mango Hemp Restorative,

How often will you use it?
Once a week as a deep conditioner.

If you currently have a protein rich regimen, how do you feel it has benefitted you?
I wouldn't call my regimen protein rich but I have fine strands and I find that my hair feels better after I use a deep conditioner with at least some protein.

SheWalks

So your hair responds well to this leave in? I might start doing this instead of the Colorful when I run out.

@JulietWhiskey what say you?
Yup I've been doing this for a little over a year now, I was spending way too much on protein treatments like Komaza because I had to use half the bottle every wash day. Colorful also has hydrolyzed wheat too if you want to mix the two, you can get hydrolyzed wheat on lotioncrafter.

JulietWhiskey

Darkside of the moon
So your hair responds well to this leave in? I might start doing this instead of the Colorful when I run out.

@JulietWhiskey what say you?

I actually like this concept!

I say it should be fine as long as you pay close attention to how your hair responds. You might need to alternate between keratin and moisture to keep a balance but your hair will let you know.

Lately, I've been getting my keratin/protein fix from Mill Creek's Keratin Conditioner (Keratin is like the 3rd ingredient) and following up with Hairveda Sitranillah, a HG non-protein Conditioner for me.

The results are thebomb.com and I alternate moisturizing my situation between a protein and non-protein Conditioner.

Thanks for tagging me and HTH!

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
I actually like this concept!

I say it should be fine as long as you pay close attention to how your hair responds. You might need to alternate between keratin and moisture to keep a balance but your hair will let you know.

Lately, I've been getting my keratin/protein fix from Mill Creek's Keratin Conditioner (Keratin is like the 3rd ingredient) and following up with Hairveda Sitranillah, a HG non-protein Conditioner for me.

The results are thebomb.com and I alternate moisturizing my situation between a protein and non-protein Conditioner.

Thanks for tagging me and HTH!
When I first started out, I used to love Sitrinillah. I know your hair requires a lot of protein and I remember you used the Colorful. How often are you using the Mill Creek? Do you use any other protein during the week between wash days?

NaturallyATLPCH

What is the process? Reconstruction, then cream to twist or something? Only on wash day or during the week?
After every cleanse. I apply the Joico, then the hair cream of my choice (I rotate between Kinky Tresses and APB Hair Creams).
I do it every full wash day (usually on Sundays) and after I cowash on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Depending on how my hair continues to respond, I may continue or just do Sundays and Thursdays.

JulietWhiskey

Darkside of the moon
When I first started out, I used to love Sitrinillah. I know your hair requires a lot of protein and I remember you used the Colorful. How often are you using the Mill Creek? Do you use any other protein during the week between wash days?

Every Sunday, I use Mill Creek and Sitranillah once a week for my weekly DC: first Mill Creek for 30 minutes under the hood dryer, let my hair cool, rinse then follow with Sitranillah for 30 minutes, cool, detangle in the shower and rinse. If I'm pressed for time, I'll combine an even amount of each and sit under my dryer for 30 minutes only (once the baby comes, I expect this will be my go-to method for time purposes).

For my twist outs, I alternate between Hairveda's Moisture 24/7 (non-protein) and Moisture PRO which has hydrolyzed wheat protein. I seal with an organic "Crisco" made of unrefined palm and coconut oils. I lightly spritz, retwist and seal my hair every 2 days until wash/DC day.

My hair is FLOURISHING with this routine but I'm expecting (major) shedding once I have this baby so we'll see.

HTH!

Last edited:

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Every Sunday, I use Mill Creek and Sitranillah once a week for my weekly DC: first Mill Creek for 30 minutes under the hood dryer, let my hair cool, rinse then follow with Sitranillah for 30 minutes, cool, detangle in the shower and rinse. If I'm pressed for time, I'll combine an even amount of each and sit under my dryer for 30 minutes only (once the baby comes, I expect this will be my go-to method for time purposes).

For my twist outs, I alternate between Hairveda's Moisture 24/7 (non-protein) and Moisture PRO which has hydrolyzed wheat protein. I seal with an organic "Crisco" made of unrefined palm and coconut oils. I lightly spritz, retwist and seal my hair every 2 days until wash/DC day.

My hair is FLOURISHING with this routine but I'm expecting (major) shedding once I have this baby so we'll see.

HTH!

Congrats on the baby sis! This is number two right? So wonderful! And praying for your edges during post partum time!

JulietWhiskey

Darkside of the moon
Congrats on the baby sis! This is number two right? So wonderful! And praying for your edges during post partum time!

Thank you!

Yep, this is Child #2 with DS being 7 and me turning 44 in July! We never thought we would be here but our miracle is on her way!

God is so good!

And thank you for speaking a word over my edges, :lachen:! DH and I were just talking about how lush and full they look and hopefully they'll stay!

Thank you again, Sis, and Happy New Year!

healthyhair2

Hair (type, length, porosity, density) I am a mix of 4a/b and a tad 3c. Nape length, High porosity. Fine strands but thick .

What kind of proteins will you be using? I will use any protein I can get my hands on!

What products containing protein will you be using? Aphogee 2 step, Emergencee, DE 6 in 1

How often will you use it? Hardcore protein once every 4-5 weeks, medium protein the other wash days

If you currently have a protein rich regimen, how do you feel it has benefitted you? It has slowed down the breakage ALOT!

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Dced with CNPF underneath Joico Moisture Recovery. Under the HotHead now. Got a new bottle of the Colorful...I can tell that it's much fresher than the bottle I just ran out of.

Next I will leave in Redken Extreme Anti Snap, with a little AVJ/glycerine/water spray, and seal that in with shea butter/castor/olive oil mix.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
@Froreal3
I've had mine a while. What were you noticing? :look:

It's never been open, but I wonder if I should pitch it.:ohwell:
I wouldn't throw it out...see how it smells and performs first.

With the old opened bottle, I know that when I leave some of it in a spray bottle for a day or two, it smells spoiled. That's why when I use it with water in a spray bottle, I spray the whole thing on my head. However, it doesn't smell like this straight out of the bottle.

The new bottle though, smells much more distinctly treatment like and it reminded me that that's how the first bottle smelled when I first got it. I could tell it was fresher.

discodumpling

Hair (type, length, porosity, density) : 4, APL (straightened), normal porosity (lately), fine, coarse
What kind of proteins will you be using?: Hydrolized proteins of any type work for my hair.
What products containing protein will you be using?: I like to experiment with items on sale! Today I used a Hask keratin protein product.
How often will you use it? I DC weekly for 1hr w/heat.
If you currently have a protein rich regimen, how do you feel it has benefitted you?
My hair thrives with a protein rich regi. Im glad this thread has been created to keep me consistent throughout the year. Thank you OP!

Last edited:

Soaring Eagle

Singin’ the praises of the baggy method
Re-moisturized my braids this week using xcel21 (focusing on the ends) with S-Curl on top. I also used Infusium (diluted 50/50 with water) on one of my braids for a trial run, since it was my first time using it.

So far so good.

discodumpling

Hi Protein Queens!
I'm about to get under my hooded dryer for my weekly DC . This week the protein originates from the extra helping of EVOO I saturated my strands with OVER my ORS Ghee Butter DC (It's actually their co-wash that doubles as a DC)
Last weeks Hask protein (hydrolyzed keratin) DC left my hair a little dry 3 days after wash day & I had to cowash on day 4 to regain a bit of moisture. DC's are a hit or miss....the Hask stuff was a miss for me.