Protein Queens: Challenge

CurlyWhoCrux

I think I need to be a Protein Queen!

I'm going to DC tonight with the Manuka Honey and Yogurt Power Protein Treatment from Shea Moisture.

I've been having success with using protein conditioners for my cowashing. Today, I cowashed and used a protein rinse out as the only product for the day (no stylers) and my hair has significantly less frizz and it's soft. My edges, which are normally frizzy and undefined even with gel, are strong little curls.

Tefnut

I know this is a little late but Tamika Bell (trained by Reniece) recommends Redken's Extreme CAT Anti-Damage Protein Reconstructing Rinse-Off Treatment and uses it as an Aphogee replacement. It's more than $5 but maybe something to keep in mind later (It's buy 1, get 1 50% off at Ulta now)? She sits under the dryer with the Extreme CAT for 30 minutes then rinses it out and before deep conditioning with a moisturizing deep conditioner (she uses Joico's K-Pak Intense Hydrating Conditioner). I never used the Redken CAT but am considering it.

Here's how she demonstrates using the Extreme CAT and the Joico Intense Hydrating Conditioner in this video.

Halp! I need a recommendation. I had been trying fermented rice water, just fermenting on my own for a day or two, and using that water as a rinse. I've tried for a few weeks, but I notice no benefits and my hair is showing signs on needing a real protein treatment, breaking easily when wet, little pieces breaking off. Can someone recommend an affordable (let's say <$5 per treatment) protein treatment?

Tefnut

Hair (4a/3c, apl/bsl, hi-po, fine strands, medium-high density)
What kind of proteins will you be using? As of now, Oyin's Honey Hemp conditioner back in my rotation. I also have black rice water simmering but that's more so as a growth aid. I'm considering adding Redkin's Extreme CAT as a hard protein and Redkin's Anti-snap leave-in to my rotation.
What products containing protein will you be using? Aside from Oyin's HH, I'm still looking. I would like a good ceramide moisturizer to help with shedding and breakage (a la the old school Soft Sheen's Breakthru daily lotion). I bought the It's a 10 Keratin leave-in during Ulta's Black Friday just in case I want to use it.
How often will you use it? The Oyins HH, every two weeks. If I include the Redken's Extreme CAT, then every 2-3 months (will follow with a moisturizing deep conditioner).
If you currently have a protein-rich regimen, how do you feel it has benefitted you? Just getting into it, so we'll see.

I'm between stylists now so I'm kind using recommendations from former ones and self-diagnosing. One thing every stylist I've seen over the past couple of years has recommended that I use a moisturizing shampoo because my hair is hi-po and get dry. So I do this.

But I also realize that I really need to incorporate some form of strengthener into my routine regularly as well (either strong/hard protein every couple of months or a light one every other deep conditioning). Admittedly, I've been afraid to use proteins due to possible overload and breakage but now see I need some type of strengthener.

A year ago, a stylist recommended I rotate between a light protein conditioner (Oyin's Honey Hemp conditioner) and a moisturizing conditioner every other wash day. I admit that I only did this once and now see that I need to incorporate a protein treatment more often since I shed a lot of hair coming out of wig braids.

Before that, per another stylist's recommendation, I deep conditioned with the Keratase Fusio-Dose system (a ceramide treatment with moisturizing booster) and experienced the least amount of hair shedding ever had after being in wig braids for 2 months. It's expensive ($10 for small vial and $5 for booster for one-time treatment) but I think it was worth it.

I finally understand the need for moisture-protein balance and think this will help me get back to MBL/WL again.

Last edited:

nyeredzi

I know this is a little late but Tamika Bell (trained by Reniece) recommends Redken's Extreme CAT Anti-Damage Protein Reconstructing Rinse-Off Treatment and uses it as an Aphogee replacement. It's more than $5 but maybe something to keep in mind later (It's buy 1, get 1 50% off at Ulta now)? She sits under the dryer with the Extreme CAT for 30 minutes then rinses it out and before deep conditioning with a moisturizing deep conditioner (she uses Joico's K-Pak Intense Hydrating Conditioner). I never used the Redken CAT but am considering it.

Here's how she demonstrates using the Extreme CAT and the Joico Intense Hydrating Conditioner in this video.

Thanks. That still falls in the price range, assuming one bottle gets me at least 4 treatments. I'll keep it in mind . I did use the Aphogee 2 minute as someone suggested, and found it to work well.

SheWalks

I've been using soultanicals rice water and leaving it in since July of this year. This seems to be all the protein I need for my hair as my hair is retaining length. :D

Aggie

Sunday after church:

Prepoo - NG Rose Clay Mask mixed with evoo and avg
Rinse - Creme of Nature ACV Clarifying Rinse
Shampoo - Joico Moisture recovery Shampoo
Protein DC - Amika Triple Rx Mask
Moisture DC - Kerastase Chroma Riche mixed in with Kerastase Oleo-Relax Mask
Leave-in - Mielle Organics Pomegranate & Honey
M/S - Much later with Dudley's PCA Moisture Retainer sealed with a combination of Nairobi Vita-Sheen Hairdress and Shea Butter

Aggie

This weekend I will be doing a full wash day. I'll save my color for after Christmas Day so I'll have to wear full wigs until then.

Here's my regimen:

-Prepoo - NG Rose Clay Conditioner
-Rinse with Creme of nature Apple Cider Vinegar
-Shampoo Joico Moisture Recovery
-Protein Treatment - Amika Triple Rx Mask
-Moisture Treatment - a combination of Kerastase Chroma Riche and Kerastase Olea-Relax Conditioners
-Leave-in - Redken Extreme Anti-Snap (protein)
-M/S later with Dudley's Moisture Retainer and sealed with BM Grease/Shea Butter mix.

Aggie

This is my regimen this coming Sunday:

-Prepoo with NG Rose Clay, avg, and evoo
-Shampoo - Nairobi Detox Poo
-Shampoo - Keracare Deatngling & Moisturizing Poo
-Protein Treatment - Nairobi Prota-Sil Reconstructor & Strengthening Treatment
-Moisturizing Treatment - Nairobi Humecta-Sil Moisture Replenishing Conditioner
-Leave-in with Redken Extreme Anti-Snap (looks like I may need some Nairobi Leave-in)
-M/S Nairobi Hair & Scalp Daily Moisturizing Hairdress and sealed with Nairobi Vita-Sheen Hairdress

Aggie

Today I had some time on my hands so I washed and deep conditioned my hair. MY scalp was a little itchy too so here is what I used:

-Nairobi Detox Shampoo
-Nairobi PamperSoft Moisturizing & Detangling Shampoo
-Nairobi PamperPak Moisturizing Conditioning Treatment
-Redken Extreme Anti-Snap Protein leave-in followed by
-Mielle Organics Pomegranate & Honey leave-in
-Air Drying and will M/S with Nairobi Daily Moisturizing Hairdress and sealed with a combination of Nairobi Vita-Sheen and some diy shea butter.

Aggie

Today I used:

-Nairobi Detox Shampoo
-Keracare Moisturizing and Detangling Shampoo
-Henna to color
-Nairobi Stimu-Sil combined with Dudleys Cream Protein Moisturizing Deep Conditioner.
-Nairobi Pamperfuse Leave-in
-M/S with QB BRBC sealed with my diy Shea Butter mix.

Aggie

Good morning ladies. Today I used:

-Amika Normcore Signature Shampoo :lick: very moisturizing and a little goes a long way
-Amika Normcore Signature Conditioner as a quick rinse out - meh, don't need this one
-Amika Triple Rx Mask (protein) :lick: slip galore - only need a little
-Amika Nourishing Mask (moisturizing) :drool:slots of slip as well - only need a little as well

-Redken Extreme Anti-Snap Leave-in mixed with Product Junkie's Smoothing Lotion and will seal later with maybe some Nairobi Vita-Sheen Hairdress and/or diy Shea Butter.

-Big plaits under wig to style.

Aggie

This is my regimen for tomorrow:

-Nairobi Detox Shampoo
-Nairobi Pamper Soft Detangling Shampoo
-Dominican Magic Hair Follicle Anti-Aging Treatment (protein)
-Naturelle Grow Indian Rose Clay Mask (moisturizing)
-Curl Junkie's Smoothing Lotion Leave-in
-DIY Shea Butter and Nairobi Vita-Sheen Hairdress to seal
-Either bunning or big plaits under a wig for styling

Last edited:

Aggie

This weekend this is my regimen:

-Pre poo with a mixture of AVG, NF Rose Clay, and Ricebran oil
-Keracare Moisturizing and Detangling Shampoo
-Deep condition with DM Anti-Aging Treatment (Protein)
-DC with a mixture of Kerastase Oleo-Relax and Amika Nourishing DC (Moisture)
-Leave-in with a mixture of Nairobi Pamperfuse and Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
-Seal with my diy Shea Butter
-Air Dry and wig to style

CurlyWhoCrux

I’ve been using the Garnier Fructis Damage Eraser conditioner for my daily cowashing and I think it’s working great. It has several hydrolyzed proteins in it, however they’re more towards the middle/low end of the ingredients. I’m going to try to find other conditioners with hydrolyzed protein a little higher up. I noticed a lot of the more accessible (to me) conditioners with protein in them also have a lot more cones. So I’ve had to give up CG temporarily. I’ll go back to it later when my hair is in a better state. I will say that my hair is looking and feeling better recently.

Prisangela

I think should be in here my hair loves protein!

4b currently MBLish lie porosity
What kind of proteins will you be using? Currently use aphogee 2 minute reconstructor every wash (weekly) and green tea keratin leave in as a leave in/heat protectant
I’ve noticed less breakage more length retention

Aggie

Today I used:

-Design Essentials Milk & Honey Neutralizing Shampoo
-Design Essentials Milk & Honey 6 in 1 Reconstructor
-Amika Triple Rx Mask (protein treatment)
-Amika Nourishing Mask (moisturizing mask)
-Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion Leave-in
-Fenugreek Tea Rinse on Scalp as my growth aid
-Braided in 3 big plaits to style under wigs as my protective style for the week.