Protein sensitive = oil sensitive?

colibri972

I know the question is stupid but I really would like to have an answer.
I'm myself protein sensitive and I feel it's because of this I can't use oil.

When I talk about being oil sensitive is when oil just makes your hair DRY and HARD instead of soft and supple.
I don't talk about the fact it makes your hair greasy...

Please ladies answer the following survey according your case :

1/I'm protein sensitive but I can use oil
My hair type is:
My hair strands: fine, medium or coarse
My porosity: High or low
Oils I use :
Protein I can use :
Protein I can't use:

or

2/I'm protein sensitive and I CAN NOT use oil
My hair is type :
My hair strands: fine, medium or coarse
My porosity: High or low
Protein I can use :
Protein I can't use:

Thanks a lot

colibri972

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
As an aside, I thought I was protein sensitive, but I'm not. For many, I think it's the type that can disagree with hair.

So a year ago starting my HHJ I would have answered to #2 then later as I learned more, #1. Now? Neither. I just know which proteins to avoid and to read labels to know which proteins are in which products.

hnntrr

My hair is type : 3c/4a
My hair strands: coarse
My porosity: Low
Protein I can use : Unsure
Protein I can't use: I can NOT use most all proteins, especially coconut oil lawd. I am still figuring this out. I just try to avoid protein at this point period. Unless I am specifically doing a protein treatment.

faithVA

I'm going to go with #2. I think can't use oil is a bit strong. I would say I can use very few oils. Sunflower oil is ok and after that most are questionable. But I am also low porosity so anything heavy like hempseed or castor :nono: And coconut oil isn't really my friend.

I can use some keratin proteins but I really have to space out my usage.

My hair is type : 4b
My hair strands: medium
My porosity: low
Protein I can use :
Protein I can't use: I try to avoid everything but keratin. I am ok with them in conditioners. I avoid them in styling products.

colibri972

As an aside, I thought I was protein sensitive, but I'm not. For many, I think it's the type that can disagree with hair.

So a year ago starting my HHJ I would have answered to #2 then later as I learned more, #1. Now? Neither. I just know which proteins to avoid and to read labels to know which proteins are in which products.

DarkJoy
Are you oil sensitive?

My hair is type : 3c/4a
My hair strands: coarse
My porosity: Low
Protein I can use : Unsure
Protein I can't use: I can NOT use most all proteins, especially coconut oil lawd. I am still figuring this out. I just try to avoid protein at this point period. Unless I am specifically doing a protein treatment.

hnntrr
THANK YOU! But as MilkChocolateOne said oils are not protein.Coconut oil has the faculty to prevent protein loss in hair. You can not use oils?

I'm going to go with #2. I think can't use oil is a bit strong. I would say I can use very few oils. Sunflower oil is ok and after that most are questionable. But I am also low porosity so anything heavy like hempseed or castor :nono: And coconut oil isn't really my friend.

I can use some keratin proteins but I really have to space out my usage.

My hair is type : 4b
My hair strands: medium
My porosity: low
Protein I can use :
Protein I can't use: I try to avoid everything but keratin. I am ok with them in conditioners. I avoid them in styling products.

faithVA
THANK YOU!.. but you should have answer to number one, you still can use oils even if it's very few.

Thank you ladies! It was very nice to you to take the time to fill in the survey. It seems that porosity and thickness of the strands play an essential role.

faithVA

^^You are probably right but I am so on the edge of not being able to, I'm unwilling to commit to saying I can use oils :lol: I can use 1 oil. It is possible you can use 1 oil as well, you just haven't found that 1 oil.

hnntrr

For some reason coconut period acts like protein on my hair, I dont know why when or how it decided that but if I use coconut it feels as though I did a 20 minute protein treatment and leaves it hard and gross...and makes me more prone to protein overloads.

Right now I am using avacado oil and it seems to be okay? but no matter what I do, i can use any oil and my hair still feels a little hard even if my hair is soft and moisturized.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
^^ That's me too. I do not use coconut oil in my hair. It makes my hair feel terrible. I am not protein sensitive though.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
DarkJoy
Are you oil sensitive?

No. I thought I was to certain oils until I chopped damage, found products my hair liked as most were causing build up and breakage, realized my hair is fine, and my porosity level is high.

Basically, I needed to go almost 80% chemical product Free and have had almost no issues with oil sensitivity.

ms.blue

Maybe the reason why you can't use oil is not that you are protein sensitive but have low porosity. The oil can't absorb due to the closed cuticles.

luckiestdestiny

I'm myself protein sensitive and I feel it's because of this I can't use u
1/I'm protein sensitive but I can use oil
My hair type is: 4a
My hair strands: fine, medium or coarse fine strands but dense hair ( tons of strands)
My porosity: High or low....I have no idea
Oils I use : coconut, avocado, Argan
Protein I can use : coconut, avocado, silk protein which is moisturizing, once and a while every three months ora replenishing pack [/B ]
Protein I can't use: everything else including aphogee anything. Aphogee gave a huge set back even after deep moisture. never again.