Protein Sensitive Product Recommendations

lonei

Hey guys

I am textlaxed and seemly protein sensitive. Whenever my hair is wet it sticks together and is hard to detangle even though I detangle with conditioner (in braids to wash) under the shower. I have gone back and forth between Keracare and Giovanni products for many years and still dont feel I have found those produtcs that leave my hair soft, manageable and easy to detangle.

Any recommendations for an entire line or certain products would be appreciated. I believe I am protein sensitive as I had a major mishap with Aphogee treatment a few years back and even a lighter protein like Keracare Intensive Mask etc seems to make my hair harder to manage (with a frizzy texture) even when I follow up with a moisturising conditioner afterwards.

I am looking for:

A mositursing shampoo that does tangle the hair and leaves it soft (plus a clarifying one)
A moisturising deep conditioner that allows for easy detangling
A super duper light protein that doesnt make the hair hard
A leave in that keeps the hair soft
A moisturiser
A serum

Rather than rollersets, lately I have been doing braidouts from wet so anything that would help with those is much appreciated.

Thanks

God bless

x

crlsweetie912

Hey guys

I am textlaxed and seemly protein sensitive. Whenever my hair is wet it sticks together and is hard to detangle even though I detangle with conditioner (in braids to wash) under the shower. I have gone back and forth between Keracare and Giovanni products for many years and still dont feel I have found those produtcs that leave my hair soft, manageable and easy to detangle.

Any recommendations for an entire line or certain products would be appreciated. I believe I am protein sensitive as I had a major mishap with Aphogee treatment a few years back and even a lighter protein like Keracare Intensive Mask etc seems to make my hair harder to manage (with a frizzy texture) even when I follow up with a moisturising conditioner afterwards.

I am looking for:

A mositursing shampoo that does tangle the hair and leaves it soft (plus a clarifying one)
A moisturiser
A serum

Rather than rollersets, lately I have been doing braidouts from wet so anything that would help with those is much appreciated.

Thanks

God bless

x

Creme of nature shampoo
I clarify with silk elements neutralizing/cheating shampoo
Motions moisture plus in the tub for deep conditioning
Lacio lacio as a leave in
Moisture I use elasta qp mango butter I love that stuff
Protein aphogee two minute works very well for me
My hair hates hard protein!

BranwenRosewood

Do you know your hair porosity? I don't have any product rec's but it seems like you have high porosity hair from the way you describe it. Knowing your porosity will also help people give you product rec's

lonei

Do you know your hair porosity? I don't have any product rec's but it seems like you have high porosity hair from the way you describe it. Knowing your porosity will also help people give you product rec's

Thanks guys

I dont know my hair porosity. I do use porosity control. It takes a while to air dry, as in I put braids in my wet hair at about 3pm yesterday, its now 7pm the next day and its still slightly damp in places. Not sure if that helps you figure it out

klsjackson

Hey guys

I am looking for:

A moisturiser
A serum

Thanks

God bless

x

I am so glad you posted this! I have dealing with the same issues. My hair so protein sensitive! I have exhausted myself looking for the right products. I have spent much more than I would have liked and still can't get it right. I hope others chime in with suggestions. One thing I have noticed, I love ORS Replenishing. It provides excellent slip and leaves my hair well moisturized, but I use it too often it leaves a build up that will not leave until my next relaxer. So I have been looking for a conditioner that works as well for me as ORS does, but without the buildup. Any suggestions ladies?

crlsweetie912

I am so glad you posted this! I have dealing with the same issues. My hair so protein sensitive! I have exhausted myself looking for the right products. I have spent much more than I would have liked and still can't get it right. I hope others chime in with suggestions. One thing I have noticed, I love ORS Replenishing. It provides excellent slip and leaves my hair well moisturized, but I use it too often it leaves a build up that will not leave until my next relaxer. So I have been looking for a conditioner that works as well for me as ORS does, but without the buildup. Any suggestions ladies?

I l ove the creme of nature argan oil treatment. I buy it in the packs but I think they may have a bottle now. Crazy slip and lots of moisture....

SuchaLady

This is seriously one of my favorite lines ever. Im waiting for BOGO at Walgreens so I can get every product.

I l ove the creme of nature argan oil treatment. I buy it in the packs but I think they may have a bottle now. Crazy slip and lots of moisture....

SuchaLady

lonei Its very inexpensive yet works so well! The shampoo and dc work well for someone trying to keep their hair healthy on a budget. I also have the edge control. My hair responds very well to argan oil so this really works for me.

Whats good about the line? Which products in particular?

PJaye

Moisturizing Shampoo (with detangling abilities)
– Elasta QP Creme Moisturizing Shampoo
- CON Argan Oil Shampoo

Clarifying/Chelating Shampoo
– Elucence Acidifying Shampoo

Moisturizing DC (with slip)
- SSI Avocado Conditioner
- SSI Riche Moisture Masque

Moisturizing DC (without slip/questionable amounts of slip)
- HV Red Tea Conditioner
- HV Sitrinillah
- Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner (wheat protein)

Leave-in (with slip & softening properties)
- SSI Pomegranate Conditioner
- Curly Kinks Satin Roots Detangler

Moisturizer/Refresher
- Darcy’s Transitioning Crème
- Oyin Hair Dew

Serum
- Redken Smooth Down Heat Glide Protective Smoother
- Smooth N Shine Polishing Instant Repair Hair Polisher (cones plus hydrolyzed silk)

Braid-Outs
- Darcy’s Transitioning Creme/Oyin Hair Dew + Obia Curl Enhancing Custard/Ecostyler Krystal Gel (for hold, if preferred)

Light Protein Treatment (that doesn’t produce hardness)
- SSI Okra Reconstructor (protein plus moisture, softness and slip)
- ORS Olive Oil Replenishing Conditioner (protein plus moisture, softness and slip)
- Mill Creek Biotin Conditioner/Keratin Conditioner (excellent slip & slight stiffness, but nothing that will cause a panic)

PJaye

Additionally, as a protein sensitive hair sister, there are a few things that have helped me over the course of my journey:

- Pick your proteins and their usage wisely, as well as those agents that behave like proteins, e.g., aloe vera, avocado, algae, kelp, seaweed, EVCO, etc.

- When doing a protein treatment, use a product that contains as many of the necessary ones as possible – keratin, collagen, wheat, silk and vegetable. Get as much reconstructing and strengthening as possible in one shot.

- Steer clear of the hidden proteins, things that behave like proteins, in your finishing products, e.g., leave-ins, spritzes, refreshers, etc.

- Stop using the porosity control and focus on infusing moisture into your hair. Once it has been properly moisturized, hit it with a nice dose of protein.

- Add a few oils to your regimen, especially to your DCs; be sure that at least one of them contains ceramides.

- Diagnose and fix the hair sticking together when wet issue (or any other issue) before continuing your journey. I liken it to how the true sciences operate – if you become stuck, you must get unstuck before you can progress further, e.g., if you’re having problems with fractions, you can’t skip it and move on to algebraic equations.

- When things go awry, always utilize these steps: clarify, mild protein, DC, leave-in, sealant. Unless it’s protein overload, a small shot of protein will assist with any issue (and sometimes the problem can be two-fold, e.g., a lack of moisture and protein). Besides, in order to maintain moisture, hair needs the reinforcement that protein provides.

- Try DCing for longer periods of time. IMO, time does matter.

- Lastly, go back to the beginning and read over any notes and articles you may have saved from the start of your journey. It’s always good idea to re-read Sistaslick’s articles and posts.

- And, last for real this time, come back to this thread and post an update. We want to hear what worked, what didn’t work, what you learned and your overall experiences. Keep updating until you’ve found a viable solution; it’s a way of paying it forward, IMO (besides, I love a good update story).:yep:

ronie

Additionally, as a protein sensitive hair sister, there are a few things that have helped me over the course of my journey: - Pick your proteins and their usage wisely, as well as those agents that behave like proteins, e.g., aloe vera, avocado, algae, kelp, seaweed, EVCO, etc. - When doing a protein treatment, use a product that contains as many of the necessary ones as possible – keratin, collagen, wheat, silk and vegetable. Get as much reconstructing and strengthening as possible in one shot. - Steer clear of the hidden proteins, things that behave like proteins, in your finishing products, e.g., leave-ins, spritzes, refreshers, etc. - Stop using the porosity control and focus on infusing moisture into your hair. Once it has been properly moisturized, hit it with a nice dose of protein. - Add a few oils to your regimen, especially to your DCs; be sure that at least one of them contains ceramides. - Diagnose and fix the hair sticking together when wet issue (or any other issue) before continuing your journey. I liken it to how the true sciences operate – if you become stuck, you must get unstuck before you can progress further, e.g., if you’re having problems with fractions, you can’t skip it and move on to algebraic equations. - When things go awry, always utilize these steps: clarify, mild protein, DC, leave-in, sealant. Unless it’s protein overload, a small shot of protein will assist with any issue (and sometimes the problem can be two-fold, e.g., a lack of moisture and protein). Besides, in order to maintain moisture, hair needs the reinforcement that protein provides. - Try DCing for longer periods of time. IMO, time does matter. - Lastly, go back to the beginning and read over any notes and articles you may have saved from the start of your journey. It’s always good idea to re-read Sistaslick’s articles and posts. - And, last for real this time, come back to this thread and post an update. We want to hear what worked, what didn’t work, what you learned and your overall experiences. Keep updating until you’ve found a viable solution; it’s a way of paying it forward, IMO (besides, I love a good update story).:yep:
That was such a great post. Thanks for all the info. My hair is always protein hungry, so I use it quite often with no issues, but I really enjoyed reading this.

lonei

Moisturizing Shampoo (with detangling abilities)
– Elasta QP Creme Moisturizing Shampoo
- CON Argan Oil Shampoo

Clarifying/Chelating Shampoo
– Elucence Acidifying Shampoo

Moisturizing DC (with slip)
- SSI Avocado Conditioner
- SSI Riche Moisture Masque

Moisturizing DC (without slip/questionable amounts of slip)
- HV Red Tea Conditioner
- HV Sitrinillah
- Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner (wheat protein)

Leave-in (with slip & softening properties)
- SSI Pomegranate Conditioner
- Curly Kinks Satin Roots Detangler

Moisturizer/Refresher
- Darcy’s Transitioning Crème
- Oyin Hair Dew

Serum
- Redken Smooth Down Heat Glide Protective Smoother
- Smooth N Shine Polishing Instant Repair Hair Polisher (cones plus hydrolyzed silk)

Braid-Outs
- Darcy’s Transitioning Creme/Oyin Hair Dew + Obia Curl Enhancing Custard/Ecostyler Krystal Gel (for hold, if preferred)

Light Protein Treatment (that doesn’t produce hardness)
- SSI Okra Reconstructor (protein plus moisture, softness and slip)
- ORS Olive Oil Replenishing Conditioner (protein plus moisture, softness and slip)
- Mill Creek Biotin Conditioner/Keratin Conditioner (excellent slip & slight stiffness, but nothing that will cause a panic)

How informative! God bless u.

Whats SSI and HV?

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
I thought I was protein sensitive too. I'm also high porosity as folks suspect with you. Gotta find some protein since you have relaxer...

Usually, it's the TYPE of protein that doesn't agree with some folks' hair. Example: both the Aphogee and KeraCare products are Keratin-based proteins. Your hair obviously hates that. Maybe try samples of DCs with other protein-bases such as panthenol, silk, wheat germ. Personally, my hair loves keratin, silk, and panthenol. Wheat germ makes it a matted dried tumbleweed that takes hours to detangle. Just test a little of those protein based DCs on a little piece of hair or 2 and see if they dont tick off your strands.

Right now, I'm using an egg-based reconstructor and that seems to be enough. Good luck!