Protein smoothies anyone?

candie19

I went to Planet Smoothie for the first time and the employee suggested I get my smoothie with a shot of protein. He said it was good for making my hair grow. I tried it and it was delicious. I thought about making this smoothies at home w/ whey protein from GNC. But.... it there any truth to whey protein making your hair grow? Does anyone drink these?

Kaela

Increasing your protein intake does assist with hair growth but watch your overall caloric intake so you avoid weight gain. There are a few threads on this, I think even a challenge for awhile...I'll see if I can bump any.

I drink a protein shake on my workout days, I'm drinking it to help with lean muscle mass moreso than hair. Between GNC brand, Nitrotech, and MetRx, I think MetRx has the most tasty and easily mixable protein powder.

Bobbie

I've been adding 30g protein shakes to my diet everyday for the past 15 days.. I will update at the end of the month.

I find what helps w/protein shakes is to use it (the chocolate ones) with some hot cocoa mix. Hot or cold, it definitely improves that nasty whey protein taste!

This makes it alot easier to use up all the protein powders I've never used. By the way, almost all whey protein shakes taste horrible, I went to GNC and got one of the most expensive brand...only to find out it tastes as bad as most shakes out there.

I use it with cocoa powder, and it works wonders!

Kaela

I want to add on to what Bobbie is saying about whey shakes and the taste..

I stick to vanilla and usually add something to it like frozen strawberries or blueberries. Helps tremendously. Also, make sure it stays COLD COLD COLD and don't let it sit after mixing because the taste seems to degrade pretty fast..

bettydavis

I love making smoothies in general, I tried using some whey protein but I couldn't stand the taste. Maybe I will try the MetRx if I can find it, but if that doesn't work I might just add a raw egg or two and see how that works. I used to make egg nog with raw eggs, so I know you can't really taste them at all once you mix it in to a drink.

Bobbie

Candie, since it's only been 2 weeks, I can't tell yet.

But i'll definitely post about it after the month trial to see if it really works.

NGC

[ QUOTE ]
Kaela said:
I want to add on to what Bobbie is saying about whey shakes and the taste..

I stick to vanilla and usually add something to it like frozen strawberries or blueberries. Helps tremendously. Also, make sure it stays COLD COLD COLD and don't let it sit after mixing because the taste seems to degrade pretty fast..

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I do. I also use Silk milk in chocolate. I may sound kinda yucky, but it is delish!

candie19

Ladies, thanks for the advice! I made my 1st Smoothie today with whey protein I bought from Target. It was good! My question is.... How many scoops are you putting in your shakes? I put in one today. Is that enough?

candie19

It's Edge HP (High Performance) Whey Protein. It smells really good. I couldn't taste a thing. I made a Berry Smoothie w/ a cup of orange juice and frozen berries.