Protein treatments and diets

Rei

If you have a high protein diet, do you still have to do protein treatments? I hate doing them, they leave my hair all hard-feeling no matter which brand I use (I've gone through Apoghee, ors, motions, giovanni, henna, joico, redken, the list goes on). I know there are some naturals out there who never do protein treatments, but my hair is not really as strong as I would like it to be. I'm wondering if its ok to just skip protein treatments alltogether and just up how much protein I eat in my diet. Or are these two totally different things? @__@

loolalooh

I think they are two different things. This is what I think:

Eating protein - helps build upon the base of the hair located in the follicle. It contributes to new growth.

Protein treatments - help strengthen 'old' hair ... hair that has already grown out of the scalp and may be damaged due to manipulation, chemicals, etc.

Maybe what you need is a milder protein treatment than what you are using. Then follow it up with a moisturizing conditioner if you aren't already. Another option is to use coconut oil for strengthening benefits. I do the latter, because my hair dislikes protein treatments with a passion.

HTH ... and hope others can chime in! :grinwink:

msa

I don't do any protein treatments. I figure since I don't color or relax, my hair is just going to have to make do with what it has.

Now, I do use coconut milk sometimes, which is technically a protein, but I doubt those molecules are big enough to actually penetrate the strand. My favorite conditioner, Oyin Honey Hemp, has hydrolyzed silk protein so I'm sure that helps me. But I haven't used it in months.

Anyway, maybe your hair is really as strong as it needs to be and it gets hard because it doesn't need any extra protein. Or you could try something lighter like the other posters suggested. You could also try using coconut oil as a conditioner because it helps slow protein loss from the strands and that way you'd could do protein treatments less frequently.