Protein Treatments before and after a relaxer

daviine

I am scheduled for a touchup this Thursday. I want to wash my hair tomorrow and use Dudley's DRC-28 as the last wash before the relaxer. However, I'd also like to repeat the same treatment for the first wash after the relaxer. I usually do it after the relaxer but not before.

Some people like to do this to get their hair stronger before the touchup.

Do you think its too much to do an intense protein treatment like that. I'm thinking no becaue my hair is going to be chemically processed during the touchup but THEN AGAIN only the new growth is getting chemically processed. What do you think?

What do you for the first wash before and after a touchup? Thanks.

Paris Belle

I don't know about intense protein conditioners, but I usually do a protein treatment before and after a touchup. But I usually use Motions. I use Motions' oil moisturizer protein conditioner the week before a touch up and CPR the week after.

I don't know how intense Dudley's protein conditioner is, so I'm not sure. But I don't think it would hurt unless you're overdoing it.

How often do you use this particular conditioner?

daviine

Hi Carmen.....I usually only use this conditioner once a month but I haven't used it all since my last touchup. I think its an intense protein conditioner--based on how hard it is to get info on it.

Since I really don't have anyone else's responses to go by except yours, I think I will do the two protein treatments but I don't think I'll use the Dudley's for both. Perhaps I'll use ORS Hair Mayo for one of them or some of the Motions Silk Protein my sister left for me.

How long do you leave the Motions on for? I don't have the directions here.

I just have to decide whether it makes more sense to do the intense protein before or after the relaxer.

Thanks.

Nova

I usually do a protein treatment usually a week before my touch-up and one week after to strengthen my hair for the process. Do I lose less hair? I guess so. When I lose a few strands, I begin to hyper-ventilate and show my daughter "how much hair I've lost." My daughter in turn wants to have me committed!

I use Nexxus Emergencee, my top preference. Anyway, I think it helps. But I'm switching from using protein treatments from one week after my touch-up to two weeks.

Good Luck!

Paris Belle

Hi Daviine.

I usually use it like a regular conditioner. Before a touchup I would probably sit under the dryer for about 20 minutes and then follow up with a moisturizing condr (I use Motions Moisture +) for about 15 minutes under the dryer again.

Now that I think about it...It might be best to do the intense one after the relaxer because then it's weakest. And to use the Motions now as like a "preparation." What do you think?

butterscotch

Daviine,

I currently use DRC-28 before and after a relaxer, and I find that I have stronger hair with little to no breakage and shedding. I just make sure I use a great moisturing conditoner (like 10+1, which is new for me, or Motions moisture plus conditioner).

Please keep me posted on your results.

Honi

There is no board.
I've always used a stronger protein treatment mid point before a relaxer to strengthen the processed hair and the new growth. After touching up I use Aphogee's 2 min reconstructor prior to using a neutralizer shampoo....(I read this somewhere and I'm not sure if it works or not).

The thought of a stronger protein treatment makes sense before a touch-up though. Maybe there is less breakage when working the relaxer through?
I may try it and see how it works out.

fletgee

Hi Daviine.
DRC is pretty heavy duty stuff. My question to you is do you have any problem using 2 protein treatments so close together? And do you use DRC on a regular basis? I use GPB 4 days before my touch-up. And an overnight hair masque the 1st time I wash my hair after a salon touch-up.

daviine

I ddin't use the DudleyQs because I chickened out. I hadn't heard anything so I just went ahead and used the ORS Hair Mayo. I think the next time around I will do it your way.

SOmeone here has 10 en 1 listed as a protein conditioner. Is it moisturizing or protein? I have the rinse and I don't thinki I've used it yet.

Thanks for sharing

daviine

Hi Fletgee
Long time no speak.

I've never used two protein treatments back to back so I can't say whether or not I have a problem with it. I wasn't sure if I could pull it off so I didn't do it this time. I think I'll try it the next time around based on butterscotch's post.

What kind of hair masque do you use---I think I remember you mentioning one of those expensive conditioners.....

Kitkat

Hi Daviine! I don't think using a strong protein conditioner before and after your touch up will be a problem. You want to go into a touch up with the strongest hair possible, in case you experience minor overlapping. And even though you're only touching up the new growth, when the relaxer creme is rinsed from your hair it will still come in contact with the rest of your hair. I used Aubreys GPB the week before and the week after my touch up, and my hair turned out fine. Otherwise, I use it maybe once a month. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

I thought you shouldn't wash your hair no later than 72 hrs before a relaxer. If I'm right, shampooing tomorrow for Thursday's touch up could cause irritation come Thursday. If this is what you normally do, never mind!!

fletgee

Hey Daviine!
Yes, it has been a while. I'm still here, reading all the hair wisdom. Khiel's Lecithin And Coconut Enriched Hair Masque With Panthenol-For Dry Hair is what I use as an overnight treatment on my 1st wash after my touch-up. I wash my hair 2 days after my touch-up and braid it up. So I only "see" my hair for 2 days when I get it done (my stylist puts it in a bun), and after the 2 days I wash and braid it.

tc_333

I don't have any experience with the protein conditioner you mentioned. But I make it a point to use my Motions silk protein treatment during the wash previous to having a touch-up. After my touch-up, I again use the protein treatment. And then, for the next wash, I use the protein treatment. Then, I think I use it every two weeks until my next treatment. My hair has never shedded less. So, I guess, I just need more protein on my hair than others.....or maybe the motions is a more gentle formulation of protein.

I would try it you way, and if you notice a bit of hardness after the second application, then just followup with an extra intensive moisturing treatment.

daviine

Butterscotch-----how often do you use the DRC-28 and what do you usually use as your moisturizing conditioner?

Thanks....

butterscotch

I will use DRC-28 a week before and a week after the relaxer. If I run out, I will switch to Nexxus Emergencee. As a moisturing conditioner, I will use either Motions CPR or Nexxus Humectress, with heat for 15 minutes.

daviine

So you basically only use it before and after the relaxer and no other time right? Just checking. Thanks.

butterscotch

Those are the ONLY times I use DRC-28. I dol use Nexxus Emergencee a little more because compared to DRC, I think it's a bit more gentle, and smells much better.