Protein treatments/Steamers

MWilson569

Hi ladies.... I usually use the aphoghee or DRC protein treatment under a hair dryer as per instructions. But, since I have a new steamer coming soon, I wanted to know if anyone tried using a steamer to steam in the protein treatment instead of going under the dryer and letting it get hard on your head. Do you think the protein treatment would actually work as well ??? idk...any experiences??? - Melissa

wannabelong

I've used the Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor with my steamer but I've never used the hardcore Ahpogee protein treatment. I would think the hardcore Aphogee protein treatment would not work with the steamer because your hair has to actually dry and the steamer would not allow your hair to dry.

LiberianGirl

I've used the Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor with my steamer but I've never used the hardcore Ahpogee protein treatment. I would think the hardcore Aphogee protein treatment would not work with the steamer because your hair has to actually dry and the steamer would not allow your hair to dry.

That is what I was thinking to. Thanks for asking this question OP. I plan on doing a protein treatment this weekend with my steamer. Hopefully more people will chime in.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Yep.:yep:

Sometimes I do a Protein Treatment with my Steamer. But the Protein DC'ers aren't anything that is suppose to harden. With those I use my Dryer.

I will Steam 30 Minutes with the Protein DC Treatment and then follow up 30 Minutes with a Moisturizing DC Treatment.:grin:

LushLox

Please don't use a steamer for hardcore Apoghee treatments as you won't get the desired effect. The strong protein treatments should be used under a dryer.

The steamer is great for mild/medium protein though.

MWilson569

Please don't use a steamer for hardcore Apoghee treatments as you won't get the desired effect. The strong protein treatments should be used under a dryer.

The steamer is great for mild/medium protein though.

Thanks. I'll stick with a dryer for the hardcore protein treatment..thanks soo much for your input.

Vintageglam

I would stick to using a hood dryer with the aphogee 2 step b/c it actually has to dry into the hair. However and with that said the aphogee is a really hard protein so I would use the steamer immediately after to DC with your favourite thick and ultra-slip/ ultra-moisturising DC treatment for 30 - 40 mins (you have to do this after the aphogee 2 step anyway so you might as well get the benefit of the steamer). I did this recently and loved it as I got the benefit of the aphogee 2 step treatment without the hardness you can sometimes get as a result of the protein. My hair came out soft and bouncy after doing these two steps.

ETA: Also I find that whilst the Aphogee 2 step strengthens my hair it also hardens/ dries it a bit so I add Ceramides to my DC immediately after. I do this by saturating my towel dried hair with a vial of the matrix biolage ceramides and then putting my DC on top of this. I also add a tablespoon or two of oils (Coconut and/ or Olive Oil) to my DC's to up the moisturising factor.

HTH's

Last edited: