Protein Treatments

tbaby_8

I have read sista slicks articles and I know you have to keep the balance between moisture and protein in your hair correctly, but how often do you all do a protein treatment a month?:rolleyes:

I don't want to overload my hair with too much protein. It is already shedding like water and I don't want to do anymore damage than I have already.:wallbash:

What do you all suggest?

All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

MrsQueeny

I do it once a month followed by a moisturizing condish like Pantene R & N. Right now I am using Mega Tek for that but in the past I have used Aphogee and Ion. HTH Q

naturalgurl

Since I'm a 4a/b natural and have very thirsty hair, I usually do a straight protein condish once every week or two(like every weekend or every other weekend). I moisturize thoroughly every day and after the protein deep condish. If you are experiencing shedding, I would be sure to moisturize daily and do a moisturizing DC after the protein DC.

CurlyMoo

If you mean the Protein treatment that makes the hair hard like a helmet. It is recommend to do them at least 6-8 weeks or when you feel you need them. I use to do the Aphogee 2 step Protein Treatment once a month and use UBH Weekly Protein Conditioner once a week. But now I am using Mega-Tek and don't want to overload my hair.

For shedding I would recommend oderless garlic suppliments, adding garlic to your diet or using a garlic shampoo/conditioner. Garlic combats shedding.:yep:

charmtreese

I use protein once a week, I switch between nexxus emgergencee & oct (once I run out of this I will go back to aphogee 2 min).

TLC1020

I use the aphogee intensive treatment one week before relaxer, I touch-up 10-12 weeks... I use the aphogee keratin 2 minute reconstructor once a week.

Last edited:

lana

When I was natural I did not use protein conditioners on my hair. It was damaging to my hair because it made it brittle even with the follow up deep moisturizing conditioner and daily moisturizing. So if you're natural I don't suggest protein on a regular basis and definitely not if you're shedding excessively.

Now that I'm texlaxed, I use a light protein conditioner once a month or as needed. I always follow it up with a moisturizing conditioner. My hair can only tolerate a light protein treatment - I do not use heavier protein treatments on my hair because it doesn't need it. IMHO :yep: Always do what is best for your hair. I discovered what my hair needed through trial and error. :drunk:

Blessed_Angel

I think you should experiment and try to find what works with your hair. Try light proteins first, you may only need them once a month or so.

I am hair type 4a/b, and my hair hates protein now. I over did it with protein, so now my hair is just dying for moisture. It is soo hard for me to get that balance back. I've done steam treatments, baggying, and constant weekly dcing. The only thing that helped bring it back is having a relaxer.

tbaby_8

Thanks. I will try to do more deep conditioning. My hair is stretching alot, so I thought I needed more protein so it wouldn't be so stretchy. I guess I better lay off the protein because I don't won't to overload my hair and mess it up even more.

morehairplease

I use the aphogee intensive treatment one week before relaxer, I touch-up 10-12 weeks... I use the aphogee keratin 2 minute reconstructor once a week.

thanks for sharing this. I am self relaxing next month w/the help of my dh and this is what I had planned on doing after reading sistalick's article and searching the forum. I hope it works for my strands.

gorgeoushair

When I think of protein treatments, to me that means a hardcore protein treatments like Aphogee Treatment For Damaged Hair. I use this a week before my relaxer(I'm a stretcher) The directions says to use every 6-8 weeks.

Now you have deep conditionersand some reconstructors that provides moisture and protein like Motions CPR Conditioning Treatment, ORS Hair Mayonnaise, Aubrey GPB, Aphogee 2 min reconstructor........ Which I love these types of conditioner it has both. However you can mix your moisturizing cond and protein conditioner(not treatment)together creating your own mix or mixing egg in your conditioner.

As far as some protein, I use once a week.