Protein treatments

renae226

:p I have three very imoportant questions about protein teatments. I did a search, and I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

How often are you supposse to do protein treatments? :(

What happens to your hair if you never apply protein? :perplexed

What is the best protein product (conditioner) for this?:ohwell:

Pleeeeeeaaaaaaaassssssseeee helpppppppppppp! :look:

lexi84

1) I prefer not to do protein treatments on a schedule...I've learned from experience that my hair doesnt work that way. I can tell when I need protein by the way it feels.
2) If you need protein and you dont give your hair any protein, it will break. Your hair will feel too soft and extra stretchy. One would think that the softness is a good thing when in fact your hair is weak and it needs protein to add structure and strength.
3) The best protein product for you really depends on you and your hair. For an intense treatment, I prefer to use Aphogee Treatment for Damaged hair and for a lighter treatment, I use Aphogee 2 minute Keratin reconstructor. There are plenty more you can choose from though.:D

*Note: please dont do a protein treatment unless you're sure that you need one. If you dont need one then it only makes the problem worse. Protein treatments arent the answer to every breakage problem*:perplexed

hairmaster

Protein treatments are done after any chemical treatments Relaxers or color, If you use heat or spritzes gels with alcohol. protein stregthens the hair.
If your hair is braking you need to do a elasticity test pull a piece of hair from your head, and pull from both ends if it brakesyou need to do treatment.

PinkAngel

I agree w/ Lexi's answers although I will do "light" protein treatments (Ion, Aphogee 2 min, Keraphix) on a bi-weekly basis if my hair is breaking a little. I haven't had to do a strong treatment like Aphogee in a couple of years.

If your hair is breaking I would use moisturizing shampoos & be sure to moisturize several times per day. If you still feel you need protein afterwards be sure to follow the protein treatment w/ a good moisturizing conditioner.

HTH

lexi84

msshic said:
I agree w/ Lexi's answers although I will do "light" protein treatments (Ion, Aphogee 2 min, Keraphix) on a bi-weekly basis if my hair is breaking a little. I haven't had to do a strong treatment like Aphogee in a couple of years.

If your hair is breaking I would use moisturizing shampoos & be sure to moisturize several times per day. If you still feel you need protein afterwards be sure to follow the protein treatment w/ a good moisturizing conditioner.

HTH

Yep! I totally agree!;) Like I said, just because one maybe having breakage doesnt mean its time to jump on some protein. In most cases, excessive breakage is due to a lack of moisture...protein should be the last choice after careful evaluation of your hair's condition. This is serious business because a protein overload aint pretty :ohwell: And you dont necessarily only have to do immediately after a relaxer or color. What if your hair needs a treatment and you're only 5 weeks post? You wouldnt wait another month or two for you next scheduled relaxer to get a treatment would you?

Last edited: