Psoriasis on my 5 yr olds scalp

The Girl

Hey I know this is a shot in the dark and I pray you guys have some ideas. My little girl has psoriasis on her scalp. I am so outdone by it the doctor told it me was a scalp fungus for yrs, I thought it was ringworm at one time, now I see it is psoriasis. I don't want her hair to fall out. If any one here has it or knows about it I am open to all suggestions, tips, etc

lnhair

I don't know if you have tried this or not but i reccommend Neutrogena T-Gel as a good shampoo for this scalp condition. You can use it for washing or you can apply it to the spot and it wont harm her hair. It will help soothing that spot, especially when it itches. I recommended using moisturizing products. If it becomes extremely dry it causes irritation and usually is worse for people in the winter than in the summer. So keep that spot as moisturized as possible and work with a dermatologist. As soon as you start a real treatment such as some type of topical cream you can feel some type of relief that it may not spread.

Sistaslick

I suffered from this when I was in junior highschool. I remember no matter how much I would wash, wash, wash my hair, as soon as it dried there would be gummy flakes to pick out. My doctor gave me prescription Nizoral shampoo and it cleared up in maybe 2 treatments. Its a very tingly shampoo and it works! I've seen Nizoral in Walmart without a prescription next to the T-gel and selsun blue, etc., but I don't know how the strength compares.

The Girl

ok so if I use a deep condtioner afterward would that reverese the benefits of nizoral or tgel? Would a protein or moisturizing be better? Thank you ladies so much

The Girl

ok sulphur and poly tar sound like they might also work but I am building a good list here. Thank you

Last edited:

seraphinelle

Anytime I try a conditioner and get an allergic reaction, I wash my scalp with poly tar and all is pretty good.

It has such a soothing and cooling feeling on the scalp.

When I was younger that was the only thing my mom could use.

It's extremely drying though.

Last edited:

Sistaslick

lnhair said:
Nizoral is stronger than Neutrogena T-Gel but it can be very drying to the hair in my opinion.

Yeah, all of those shampoos for dandruff, dermatitis, psoriasis, etc. are far from moisturizing. You'd probably want to deep condition with something super moisturizing following them both. I know if you get prescription Nizoral especially, you are going to need to put the moisture back during the conditioning ASAP. They're potent, but they get the job done. :lol:

Dogmd

Please check with your doctor before you put NIZORAL in a 5 year old's head. It has a pretty strong drug in it called KETOCONAZOLE that isn't recommended without a prescription in children under the age of 12. Check the product label first if you are unsure.

Sistaslick

Dogmd said:
Please check with your doctor before you put NIZORAL in a 5 year old's head. It has a pretty strong drug in it called KETOCONAZOLE that isn't recommended without a prescription in children under the age of 12. Check the product label first if you are unsure.

cosigning that label checking.
OP, did your doctor give you any product recommendations for her condition? You may be able to get a prescription for something that is specific to her and safe for her age group. My little sister is 6 and has been suffering from eczema since she was 2 or 3--there are good prescriptions out there for kids to help control those scalp problems.

Mommy's girls

I dont have any advice. But i'm confident that someone on the board does. Just wanted to reach out to you. I know how difficult it can be when it comes to issues with our little ones. Big Hugs

The Girl

Thanks for all the hugs I need them.
Dogmd said:

She actually had a script for the KETOCONAZOLE yrs ago and I thought it was too strong for her then. Besides, her doctor at the time couldn't tell me what it was so...NOPE! I have switched docs since but this hasn't been this bad. Tea tree oil was keeping it in check but this past few weeks it looks scarey and painful. I would prefer to go as natural/harmless as possible but if a script will do it I am for it.

Sistaslick said:
cosigning that label checking.
OP, did your doctor give you any product recommendations for her condition? You may be able to get a prescription for something that is specific to her and safe for her age group. My little sister is 6 and has been suffering from eczema since she was 2 or 3--there are good prescriptions out there for kids to help control those scalp problems.
Yeah I will search high and low for it. I also just bought some Infusium the moisturizing kind. You think that and a good conditioner would work? I am just worried bc most of the treatments I see for the shampoos are daily washings. My baby HATES getting her hair washed (unless the lil diva is at a salon:look: ). Oh well, I will keep you ladies posted.

The Girl

Ok here is the latest update. Went to the doctor and had to wait for lab results. He says that it simple follicitis and that I can use the medicated over the counter shampoo and that I should let her wear her hair loose/sown more. That the tension and thickness of her hair were to blame. It makes simple sense to me bc if I change her styles every day (parts and etc) then its not as bad but its still there. I have been letting her wear twistouts for the past 2 days but now I am worried about the overall health of her hair/ends. I have been putting the moisturizing infusium and water, and my homemade oil to seal when I twist it. Ladies, please chime in with any thoughts on this...

Ms. Cleo

I helped out with my young neighbor's hair years ago and she had a very scaly scalp. I used Glover's mane according to the directions on the bottle (apply to the scalp with a cotton ball, let it sit for 15-20 minutes and then shampoo with the Glover's Bar Soap). It worked well.

A few years ago my daughter had what looked like severe dandruff. I again used the Glover's mane, but used T-Gel instead. I followed up with S-curl. We have not had a problem since.

I would suggest to keep the hair products to a minimum.

The Girl

kally said:
Is this what MTG was org designed for?
I don't know but I will be checking into it.
I just looked at Shapeley's site and indeed this s what its for...ok now I have to search all the mtg threads that I ignored bc everyone said it stinks

Last edited: