Queen Helene Cholesterol: Good or Bad???

poookie

i've had this vat of queen helene cholesterol (the original flavor) sitting in my closet for a few months now... that is, until i read the ingredients and dumped it down the toilet...

first of all... the smell reminds me of burnt hair... and it brings up repressed memories of all the terrible experiences i had going to the salon to get my hair done, so i might be a *teensie* bit prejudiced against it...

but look at the ingredients:

Water Aqua , Stearyl Alcohol , Glyceryl Stearate , Mineral Oil , Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (a harsh industrial solvent) , Cholesterol , Lanolin , Propylene Glycol (antifreeze), Diazolidinyl Urea (an ingredient in formaldehyde) , Methylparaben and Propylparaben (both are irritants, allergens, carcinogens, can lead to breast cancer), Fragrance Parfum , Disodium EDTA (allows chemicals to flow into bloodstream), FD&C Yellow No. 5 CI No. 19140 , FD&C Yellow No. 6 CI No. 15985 , FD&C Red No. 40 CI No. 16035 , D&C Red No. 33 CI No. 17200

sulfates = bad, mineral oil = drying, parabens = cancer, and Diazolidinyl ura = formaldehyde...

how is it possible that this is beneficial for hair?
does it work for anybody here?
is anyone else as scared of this product as i am? :sad:

OnceUponAtime

Good for me. I use it to mix with my Aphogee Treatment (the hard one), some oil and a moisturizing conditioner. It's very thick and acts as a base to keep the runny stuff from getting all over me. My hair likes a little mineral oil and since I'm using it once or twice a month max, sometimes less, I don't worry about potential health effects.

ETA:
Your avatar is too cute, you clever girl :laugh:

tinkat

Its good to me...I dont' use it but reminds me of Lekair Cholesterol...its not a bad conditioner.

Tallone

I love the results when i used to use it waaaaay back but then i picked some up and didnt read the ingredients until I got home and saw ALL of those things and sodium hydroxide. Naah, I'll pass

Irresistible

OH GOD!!!

NOT MY BELOVED CHOLESTEROL!?

i've had this vat of queen helene cholesterol (the original flavor) sitting in my closet for a few months now... that is, until i read the ingredients and dumped it down the toilet...

first of all... the smell reminds me of burnt hair... and it brings up repressed memories of all the terrible experiences i had going to the salon to get my hair done, so i might be a *teensie* bit prejudiced against it...

but look at the ingredients:

Water Aqua , Stearyl Alcohol , Glyceryl Stearate , Mineral Oil , Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (a harsh industrial solvent) , Cholesterol , Lanolin , Propylene Glycol (antifreeze), Diazolidinyl Urea (an ingredient in formaldehyde) , Methylparaben and Propylparaben (both are irritants, allergens, carcinogens, can lead to breast cancer), Fragrance Parfum , Disodium EDTA (allows chemicals to flow into bloodstream), FD&C Yellow No. 5 CI No. 19140 , FD&C Yellow No. 6 CI No. 15985 , FD&C Red No. 40 CI No. 16035 , D&C Red No. 33 CI No. 17200

sulfates = bad, mineral oil = drying, parabens = cancer, and Diazolidinyl ura = formaldehyde...

how is it possible that this is beneficial for hair?
does it work for anybody here?
is anyone else as scared of this product as i am? :sad:

poookie

aw, i didn't mean to scare some of yall!

but... you guys don't google the ingredients on products before using them?
i'd be scared not to :look:

MissMasala5

I have been using this off an on for over 20 years. I noticed a difference in my hair when I wasn't using it on a regular basis. I can always count on it to pump up the moisture in my hair. Nowadays I add EVOO and it helps to retain the moisture even better. Those ingredients don't concern me. I like results, and QH delivers. I hope they never change a thing!

aloof one

It worked for me... then one day it just stopped. I used it up and never got it again. It was one of those products that started out well and then didn't act right anymore. I'm done with cholesterol unless I'm sneaking my mother's Proclaim from under her sink when I stay at her house. Its OK, just not something I care for anymore. I don't fear the ingredients, though. Mineral oil is not bad, I think its just the same as a lot of other oils, just doesn't have as pretty a name. From experience, I think you just have to pick which products with mineral oil work and which don't. Just like I won't use a product just because it has silicones in it--- because it may/may not do what I want it to do.